2007 season

herronjoe

Has anyone seen the salmon population forecast for the upcoming year. I keep checking the government web site for this info but have not found it yet. It looks like another dismal season in Washington. I don’t know how most of you feel but until they get the nets out of the rivers (especially the Columbia) fish there are pretty much doomed to final extinction.

Seems like there are more Coho in Washington than compared with Southern BC. Is this because of hatchery activity? Or am I totally off base?

Don't really know but here are some of my ideas. #1 Limited or no sport seasons both fresh water and salt. #2 Not much or no commercial seasons. #3 Maybe less pressure from the tribes. #4 Better ocean food conditions. The Coho count on the Columbia along with the Spring count has gone done again. In the early 2000's it was higher than it had been for many years. There have been some major efforts to improve habitat along streams and rivers lately. I am almost 60 and live along a major tributary of the Columbia. When I was in high school it was common to see hundreds of dead salmon most of the year on the river banks. Staring in the 70's that all but disappeared. The dams were here before that so I don't blame it all on them. I am sure they have some impact but I think the real answer lies in the ocean. Someone or something is taking a lot more fish than the sport fishermen. That is my take on it, I don't know what the real answer is.

I think you're on the right track, herronjoe. I think it is more of an ocean problem as well. (Although there are many other contribuing factors.)I read somewhere this year that if the annual plankton bloom does not happen at the usual time in the spring, then the salmon smolts exiting the rivers for the ocean have a significant drop in survival rate.
T2

hey brad did you get a fish count of the returning coho in any of the port alberni area rivers?

I'd like to see your coho numbers.

There were NONE in the inlet this year.

If you can show me numbers from a credible source I'll happily eat these words.

Again NONE!!! BRUTAL!!! ****TY as ****TY could be!!!

My only experience is in the Strait of Georgia.... haven't seen a coho for many years....

the straight hasnt had them in my fishing time[V]
used to be tonnes...gotta wonder what happened to them all

i do not wish to see the same happen to the west coast

brad dont know what ur smokin but returns were dismal. nitnat got 2,000 compared to 20,000 average. I cant remember the exact numbers on the Stamp system but it didnt fair much better...

thats terrible, i guess fish that were never around dont bite much there brad?;)

hope for a far better year next year..

aggressive, shallow water, acrobatic salmon.
put them on light gear its a hell of a good time, springs have a different kind of fun to their fight, just my opinion though.
im glad to catch either

Isnt this the year that the Pink salmon return to the west side of the island?

quote:Originally posted by Pablo2079

Seems like there are more Coho in Washington than compared with Southern BC. Is this because of hatchery activity? Or am I totally off base?

It is because of more fish and early release of them.
They do much better released early as the food is there then.
Due to the warming of the Straight the food blooms earlier than it used to.
B.C. is catching up on this.

Cmon momgoose first your telling people the best times to fish for hali and salmon and your great knowledge being a 16 year old kid then you ask if this is the year for pinks on the west coast,I think you need to re think a few things there Dallas your a good kid but your a litte off base.

Wolf

quote:Isnt this the year that the Pink salmon return to the west side of the island?

This year is a pink year for the fraser river system, 16 million expected i believe, so not quite. I've read that the west side of the island pink runs are on even years, and the east side are on odds.
anyone correct me if im wrong

im pritty sure your right.^^^^ wolf i was 99.9% sure the pinks were coming to the west side of the island. just trying to get a topic started. but you didnt pick up on that one. i aint 16. just e-mail me, no need to post it

Back