2006 Yamaha 9.9 Powerhead

profisher

I have a low hour 9.9 Yamaha (big block) powerhead which I have never used and which is a 2nd spare that I don't need. It came off a motor that was traded into Ina Marine and it had a broken valve spring. That was replaced and repaired with a new valve and it was lapped into the head. This is the 9.9 that is really a 15 hp and has a lot more power than the newer 9.9's..so many people don't want to give up these motors, including me. I already have a complete low hour spare so this is an extra piece I will likely never make use of. If you have one of these motors and want to keep it running, having a spare is the way to ensure that. These are very easy motors to do a powerhead swap on..I can do it in under 4 hours and have it running. I've included pics of the outboard version this block fits. $500.00

Attachments

• motor 3.jpg
    motor 3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 100
  • motor6.jpg
    motor6.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 97
Will also entertain buying the same outboard in good shape that needs a powerhead to make a complete working motor...which would make a sale for me more likely.

I think 26ft to do a decent job...after that the 25 hp high thrust. But really depends on where the boat is used....wind and current conditions will dictate how much kicker power you need as much as the size and weight of the boat.

I still have this 9.9 low hour powerhead which fits any of the pre 2007 9.9's that have the spin on type oil filter as shown in the picture. This is the same block used in the same year 15 HP models and is often referred to as the big block 9.9 They were probably the best 9.9 Yamaha ever put out..a bit heavy but more torque for pushing heavy boats. I have a spare complete 9.9 kicker so I don't foresee me ever putting this powerhead to use so would rather move it on to someone who want to prolong the life of their 9.9 and avoid making all the rigging mods to change to a different model or brand. The crankcase section alone is still available and the online price is $1710.00 US and I did buy a new complete head (completely dressed) probably 12 years ago and it was $1800.00 CDN at the time. I don't think you can still get a complete dressed head any longer for it from Yamaha. So new replacement if you could get it would be about $3800.00 CDN. Which is ridiculous and why everyone has no choice but to bite the bullet and buy something else when it quits running. It takes about 3-4 hours to swap out the old and this in and something most could do as its just a simple re and re. $500 takes it.

Attachments

• powerhead.jpg
    powerhead.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 30
  • powerhead2.jpg
    powerhead2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 30
Bumping this post back to life. Someone must have a 9.9 Big block kicker that has lots of hours on it and is showing signs of its use. They are great engines that are superior to their new counterparts. Very low hours on this powerhead and is something I will not use as I already have another low hour complete spare kicker...and the one on my boat now only has 3 seasons on it. Also it is a truly do it yourself swap to take the old powerhead off and put a new one in. Most of it is easy bench work swapping external parts over from old to new. $500.00

Hey, a google search of this Powerhead led me to this forum. I’m also in BC, in the Chilliwack area. I’m interested if you still have it for sale. I’ll try and direct message you. Thanks

Back