2002 Yamaha 225 corrosion issue

fishinforever

Hey guys, I've got a deposit on a boat with twin 2002 225 Yamahas. They have 440 hours and show zero signs of corrosion. From what I've read, the corrosion issue will happen on ALL Yamahas in that size and year. Im just wondering if anyone on here has first hand experience with this and the costs associated with installing the corrosion kits. Does it solve the issue completely? If I get the anti corrosion kits installed before any damage is done to the engine what should I be expecting for life out of these engines.

Thanks in advance.

I had an 2003 F225. I flushed it after every time I was in salt water. It had 800 hours when it corroded thru last year. I did the exhaust corrosion kit in 2013/2014. Cost was $3K approx. it didn’t help. 5 years later it corroded thru at the thermostat on the starboard side of the block. No fixing it without spending a fortune. Not worth it. I don’t think the hours matter on those motors. Low hours or high hours they all rust out after 10+ years. That motor ran perfect until the day the corrosión came thru the block the last day it was on the boat. Perfect one day, unfixable the next.

I have heard about corrosion being worse on Yamaha. Probably not many 17 y/o engines that don't have corrosion issues. I just did a repower & researched the crap outta this. Unless you are a commercial operator, corrosion combined with lack of frequent use in a saltwater environment will do most any engine in before a more mechanical related failure. With only 440 hours over 18 years, those most likely engines fit the above scenario. Most people learn about this the hard way. Highly likely this issue is why that boat is for sale.

Thanks, guess the kit isn’t the answer

The kit addresses the exhaust tube that extends down the leg. The engine block is also vulnerable to corrosion where the exhaust tube mates, as well as around the other locations like @pescador mentioned and neither of these are addressed by the exhaust kit.

They're 17 year old engines with raw water cooling operating in a corrosive liquid! I'd put more weight of consideration on the age of the motors and less on the hours.

I had to replace the exhaust manifold on my old 2006 F250 due to the Yama-rot issue (~1,300 hrs). If you catch it in time and replace prior to the corrosion spreading to the block there is little cause for concern.

Be wary if someone is telling you that "the engines show no sign of corrosion". Unfortunately the only way to see if there is the corrosion in manifold is to drop the leg and have it scoped. So unless they have recently done this step, and have the service records and scope pictures to prove it.

As you mentioned, this is a very well-known issue with Yamaha's of that generation and size. Fortunately the replacement kit can remedy the issue. If you are friendly with your local Yamaha dealer they should sell you the part at cost ($1,500 IIRC) and you just had to pay for the labour (or do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined and have the resources to do it). If I were you and I really like the boat, I'd knock $5k off the asking price as budget for having both motors done; alternatively, have the seller pay to have both legs dropped and inspected.

Best place to go if you want more information on this topic is thehulltruth.com.

I know how much hassle it is to get into it as Tiger prawn had a long battle with it so spending money on kits (and sometimes it doesnt work) and time better have 60 grand in bank to replace whats on it , seems like a waste of time and money throwing money at 18 yr old engines that might fail....id avoid it personally

Some very helpful insight on here thanks guys. Checking out the boat tomorrow- if the boat shows we’ll and is sound I may look at a trade in and repower. I’ll let you guys know, thanks!

The exhaust housings are a pretty easy one if you can read instructions and turn a wrench.

Have even tig welded the bottom of the block where it has corroded.

The exhaust kits are like 1k each.....

Do the oil pump shaft repair while you are in there.

The old 3.3L engines are good just need to take care of them a little bit. Replacing them is gong to be 60k + if you go new......

I have a 2007 f200 with 2500hrs. Minor corrosion in the exhaust. Ive had it scoped. I flush after most uses. i was told by a great yamaha mechanic that block corrosion is usually evidence of internal zincs not being checked and changed. Most people just do the external visible ones.
i check mine every 100hrs and change when needed. I have no issue and havent considered a repower yet.

Back