2001 merc cruiser 4.3

I have run an 02 for 3 years now and am very happy with ease of maintenance fuel economy and reliability.They are a 350 block minus two cylinders. The only thing to watch for is valve seals that can weep a bit causing a puff of blue upon startup! Mine is not doing it yet. May have just been the earlier 4.3

Brother-in-law has a 93 Thundercraft Diablo 205 with the 4.3. He has lake property and has run it pretty hard for 13 years pulling skiers and tubers. Boat still runs excellent and does 50 mph with a stock prop . To my knowledge , other than regular maintenance, his breakdowns have been two, one for a coil breaking down when it got hot and the other was getting the power steering pump overhauled because of leakage.I have a 88 gmc pickup at work with a half million miles on it, driven by several different employees and it still runs fine , doesn`t burn oil , and that motor just won`t seem to die.
As long as I knew that it had regular maintenance, I`d never hesitate buying a boat with one.

I have a 2000 4.3 one issue minor oil switch leaking (not the pressure unit the other one - might be a low pressure alarm I'm not sure) very minor fix

54 mph 18.5 boat stock prop almost climbs out of the hole as I push the throttle forward

Have a pair of them in my 28'er. I love them.190hp models

Back