2000lb-ish boat packages

RogersonCrusoe

Hey guys,
The better half and I are looking at buying our own tow vehicle (currently use the Father In Law's Nissan Titan). We're a one-car household, so getting a V8 as our only vehicle is not really an option. Looking at most modern SUVs, can pull about 2000lbs, with the exception of the 2.0L Turbo escape, which can do 3500 (our front runner). We have a 1.6L Mini as our primary ride, so anything will be bigger and better :)

Part of the conversation is a new (to us) boat. Our 21' is wonderful, but is too big for an SUV to pull and is too big for our needs really. I'm asking what setups you guys have that are around the 2-3k lb range so i can start sniffing around.

Thanks!

My better half just bought a used Honda Pilot. Most of the ones we looked at (2013-2015 square shaped V6) come with tow package that can do 3500lbs, supposedly. I think the new ones are the same, but pricey.
She chose between a new Escape and used Highliners and Pilots. She got a more luxurious package with 100,000k for a fair bit less than a new Escape. We haven't towed anything yet, because I still have a truck.

Sadly I can't get traction on a second vehicle, so I was looking at smaller boats instead.
I find it difficult to get boat package weights, but i know the other smart and beautiful members can tell me what set ups they have and how much they weigh ;)

I looked at Pilots, but they're a little out of our price range (we're mortgage poor AND boat owners lol)

Towed my 14’lund then 16’ silverline with a 2010 fwd Ford Escape back in the day 3500lb tow rating never had a single issue. 14-16’ hourstons aren’t too heavy and super sea worthy for their size the 17+ hourston or any FG boat really starts to add some weight probably a little on the heavy side for your set up once you add gear, people ect. 14-16 aluminum or lighter glass boat would be perfect the double eagles are great as well but they are a bit heavier.

It’s really tough to find an SUV with pulling power other than an older Pathfinder or any year 4Runner. The RAV4 max towing is only on one of their limited or off-road packages and I assume is the same with most.

lightest boats are Tolman Skiffs and C-Dory’s but any trailer weights a lot so you can’t tow much unless you go to a real SUV.

We have a 2017 Ford Escape with the 2.0L turbo and AWD. Rated to tow 3500lbs. The vehicle only has a 4-pin trailer receptacle FYI.

I've towed my 13ft Whaler with the Escape a moderate amount. Total weight of that rig estimated around 1100lbs including trailer. The Escape does fine towing around town, and has plenty of power even on the highway. However, the short wheelbase means it's not super stable towing at higher speeds (like on the Coquihalla for example). The Escape is marginal on brakes too, even with the larger 320mm front rotors that the 2.0L turbo comes with.

Also note that the Escape is like a lot of these AWD small SUVs: The rear wheel drive only seems to kick in once there's a bit of slippage on the front axle...so if you're on a gravel/sand ramp you need some throttle finesse to avoid digging holes with the front tires

Overall, I'd agree with above that a 15ft Hourston or a 15ft or smaller Whaler or a 15-16ft welded aluminum skiff would be OK for an Escape if you're careful towing and avoid high-speed highway driving.

When we were shopping for a vehicle for my wife, I wanted an SUV that could be used to tow a boat if needed. After lots of research and looking at lots of new vehicles, we ended up buying a 5 year old VW Touareg. That was 4 years ago, and I couldn’t be happier with the choice. It has been an excellent vehicle. Feels solid and safe to drive. Lots of power. Amazing in the snow. I swapped out the silly city wheels for some proper island wheels with a good profile for logging roads if required. The spare is useless, so I put a full size spare on the roof rack when we use it for adventuring. How’s the fuel economy?? I really don’t know, I don’t pay attention to that, it is what it is.... but I think it’s not too bad at all.

The Touareg has the factory tow package, and is rated for 7500lbs or something crazy like that, can’t remember exactly, but it’s definitely more than anyone would want to use an SUV to tow.

It hauls my DE176 like a dream, just as well as my pos F350. And that’s what I think would be a perfect package for the island. A Double Eagle 176 and a German suv... Great match!... Although I haven’t loaded the Touareg up with a full load of fishing gear and three guys and hauled the boat to Gold River or anything like that, so not sure how it would do in that scenario.

Last edited:
We use our 2010 Honda Pilot to tow our Campion explorer 165 around. Pilot tows 3500 with tow package. The boat with trailer and full tank of fuel and gear would be about 2500lbs which the pilot pulls with no issue. Just did Nanaimo to China Creek, fuel burn was 16L/100km for the round trip.
Good luck in your search!

If you're really looking for a boat package rather than a tow vehicle
17' double eagle or hourston (if you can find one)
can be towed by most SUV's and light trucks.
Ideal fishing boats for 2-3 people

What’s the weight of your current rig?
No boat’s ever too big for a man. ;)
I think it's about 5K loaded? I haven't ran it over a scale to test and can't really find good info on it.
Thanks Guys, this is quite enlightening. I'll keep looking for sure, but it's good to have all the details before we dive in. Maybe this will add weight to my argument of getting a second vehicle instead... ;)

Get the new Bronco and a 17' Arima Sea Chaser/Ranger, it can be towed with most smaller vehicles. Loaded for a day out it will probably be an honest 3000lbs.

I think it's about 5K loaded? I haven't ran it over a scale to test and can't really find good info on it.
Thanks Guys, this is quite enlightening. I'll keep looking for sure, but it's good to have all the details before we dive in. Maybe this will add weight to my argument of getting a second vehicle instead... ;)
Downgrading your boat is definitely an option but would only make sense if your family is getting smaller or your boating needs are changing.
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel is a great towing vehicle with a lot of torque and the fuel economy of an average mid-size SUV. I drove one for a couple of years and towed a 23’ on highways/trip to the west coast of VI with no issues. Problem is they’re hard to find as most people keep them in the family. Good luck!

My wife's 2010 Lexus RX 350 with the tow package has a tow weight of 3500. The hybrid models are limited to 2,000 pounds. She would buy another one in a heartbeat 11 years old and not a problem.

I know it was a good model year because all the mechanics and service writers try and buy that year from their customers

We got a great deal on it ( 10K off list) it had about 3K on it. It had been to a lot of charity golf tournaments towing the Lexus Hole in One Sign trailer around.

My brother had an older Honda Pilot and it was rated for 5000 pounds. It was also a great tow vehicle.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
The better half and I are looking at buying our own tow vehicle (currently use the Father In Law's Nissan Titan). We're a one-car household, so getting a V8 as our only vehicle is not really an option. Looking at most modern SUVs, can pull about 2000lbs, with the exception of the 2.0L Turbo escape, which can do 3500 (our front runner). We have a 1.6L Mini as our primary ride, so anything will be bigger and better :)

Part of the conversation is a new (to us) boat. Our 21' is wonderful, but is too big for an SUV to pull and is too big for our needs really. I'm asking what setups you guys have that are around the 2-3k lb range so i can start sniffing around.

Thanks!
How far and over what terrain are you going to be pulling your boat. I might not be the smartest person in the world but I successfully pulled a 5000+ Trophy with a 2008 Chev Trail Blazer, 6 cylinder. That's all I had. Took it easy up hills and even easier downhills. I was careful not to get too high of tongue weight. Not sure about newer engines, but older Chev 6 cylinders would out pull a 350.

How far and over what terrain are you going to be pulling your boat. I might not be the smartest person in the world but I successfully pulled a 5000+ Trophy with a 2008 Chev Trail Blazer, 6 cylinder. That's all I had. Took it easy up hills and even easier downhills. I was careful not to get too high of tongue weight. Not sure about newer engines, but older Chev 6 cylinders would out pull a 350.
99% of the time it will be from Saanich Penninsula to the Sidney Boat ramp and/or Sooke. Downsizing opens up the larger lakes too, so I can bass-fish when salmon continues to be closed.

My rig example might work for you? Under 2000lbs.

NnUX5VO.jpg

Glastron GS160 115 Evinrude. Kicker, riggers and still family friendly for tubing and water skiing. Handles chop surprisingly well.

HOOirgl.jpg

Bowrider style, but i leave the front mooring cover on most of the time as it blocks the odd whooosh over the bow.

I use a minnkota in lakes and 5hp merc kicker with internal tank when needed.

Towed by my Escape easily. Its a really fun 50mph boat.

Last edited:
Back