20 Hourston Project

Nice looking rig! Curious to hear if you will miss the extra ponies? There’s over 600# off the bracket of mine as well, wondered about that exact power plant hanging there one day...
Enjoy!

Reviving this thread. Had a soft spot in my floor and upon investigation it is worse than I thought. New transom, stringers and floor are in my future

Attachments

• B178E55D-7A3A-45A3-903E-DA43A4D4FA6B.jpeg
    B178E55D-7A3A-45A3-903E-DA43A4D4FA6B.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 150
Definetly going to make sure it is all sealed up. Looks like water got in the wood under drivers seat. There is a transducer in an oil bath and the lid on it allowed moisture in.

Yikes, crazy how much damage occurred since you did the pod, good luck with all the grinding and rebuild. Where was that transducer located exactly? Was it simply not sealed through the hull?

Yikes, crazy how much damage occurred since you did the pod, good luck with all the grinding and rebuild. Where was that transducer located exactly? Was it simply not sealed through the hull?
The transducer was under my drivers seat box. It is a shoot thru hull. Will get more pics today

Did you manage to get out with the new motor yet? Interested to hear what kind of numbers your getting, I know with the old Verado it was a rocket!! Best of luck with all the work are you sure all your stringers need replacement or are you just going to do it since the floor will already be open?

Did you manage to get out with the new motor yet? Interested to hear what kind of numbers your getting, I know with the old Verado it was a rocket!! Best of luck with all the work are you sure all your stringers need replacement or are you just going to do it since the floor will already be open?
New motor is fantastic. Smooth and still goes great. Boat rides so much nicer. I will replace anything that needs done. Should have tanks out tomorrow and then I can remove the floor.

I’m going to get flamed for this, but can we mention the gigantic elephant in the room here.. is there a Hourston out there that isn’t completely rotten? Great looking/riding boats but what the F kind of building practices took place when they were in business? Some of the scabbed together stuff I’ve seen on some of these projects that was from the factory is appalling.

I’m going to get flamed for this, but can we mention the gigantic elephant in the room here.. is there a Hourston out there that isn’t completely rotten? Great looking/riding boats but what the F kind of building practices took place when they were in business? Some of the scabbed together stuff I’ve seen on some of these projects that was from the factory is appalling.
40 year old boat. What do you expect. I had a 1984 Grady seafarer and that was a hacked together boat. Much worse than Hourston.

Although I agree maybe this is a good topic for another thread and leave this one for what it is.

Kinda doubt the whole boats rotten 40 years of floating in the Chuck or rained on in the driveway.. big deal. There’s lots of rotten moldy houses out there it’s the west coast climate fix it and enjoy another 40.

Kinda doubt the whole boats rotten 40 years of floating in the Chuck or rained on in the driveway.. big deal. There’s lots of rotten moldy houses out there it’s the west coast climate fix it and enjoy another 40.
Stringers are dry and solid amazingly. Transom to be inspected, it was solid 5 years ago when I put the bracket on. The passenger side floor is solid. More pics once I clean the mess. Well built boats.
Water got into the floor under drivers seat where the factory mounted a transducer and did not seal the hatch

Lov the thread, keep-on keeping on :) great work!

And it continues. Transom out all cleaned up. Stringers cut back. What a mess. I forgot how much I dislike deconstruction.

Attachments

• 38E98647-1E58-465F-A2CB-1C9AFEA607B5.jpeg
    38E98647-1E58-465F-A2CB-1C9AFEA607B5.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 71990A86-98EC-41F2-AB16-20B3D58579CB.jpeg
    71990A86-98EC-41F2-AB16-20B3D58579CB.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 185
I see you've done a lot of work so far and it looks good. However, I think you need to triangulate those braces for the transom much more...you need to extend them forward more to provide stiffness for the transom and engine bracket.

Back