20' Hourston Euro Transom

Looks deadly! We had ours out in the lake today too, forgot how squirrelly she is with no fuel or gear in er! Did you gain any stability at rest?

Looks deadly! We had ours out in the lake today too, forgot how squirrelly she is with no fuel or gear in er! Did you gain any stability at rest?
My biggest concern was if the stern would sit too high. It's no doubt higher but in a good way. Looks more capable at rest. I will be adding the 9.9 this week but that's about it to stern. probably more than 150# of gear will go to the bow and I'm sure that will balance things out. Its alot of fun.

48mph with full fuel and 2 people light gear with the wrong prop. The best milage i saw was 3.78mpg around 28mph. the slowest plane was 23.5mph.

My biggest concern was if the stern would sit too high. It's no doubt higher but in a good way. Looks more capable at rest. I will be adding the 9.9 this week but that's about it to stern. probably more than 150# of gear will go to the bow and I'm sure that will balance things out. Its alot of fun.

48mph with full fuel and 2 people light gear with the wrong prop. The best milage i saw was 3.78mpg around 28mph. the slowest plane was 23.5mph.
Good numbers for sure. My deck just drains to bilge as is, dunno if going full width would keep the feet dry lol. There’s no doubt that’s the nicest looking 20 around now, I don’t think I have the time to tackle it in the off-season. Maybe if it was 8’6”wide and 24 degrees at the stern? They are little tanks though, definitely lots of fun. Enjoy!

View attachment 67155Just thought I’d throw an old school second gen pic in there to compare. She might not be the prettiest but if there’s another boat out there so am I, sporty or commie...
look at that stallion. They are little battlewagons for sure. I like the no-railing look...but I fall off the bow too much already :) Maybe after i non skid it. What else do you need for a fishing rig? big enough to camp on, good on fuel and easy to trailer. Hands down one of the best 20ft boats around ;)

Good numbers for sure. My deck just drains to bilge as is, dunno if going full width would keep the feet dry lol. There’s no doubt that’s the nicest looking 20 around now, I don’t think I have the time to tackle it in the off-season. Maybe if it was 8’6”wide and 24 degrees at the stern? They are little tanks though, definitely lots of fun. Enjoy!
I will post full test numbers and detailed "complete" build pictures once i button up some loose ends...

look at that stallion. They are little battlewagons for sure. I like the no-railing look...but I fall off the bow too much already :) Maybe after i non skid it. What else do you need for a fishing rig? big enough to camp on, good on fuel and easy to trailer. Hands down one of the best 20ft boats around ;)
I learned quickly anchoring for flatties to stay off the bow, and I don’t go on the beach on purpose so no need for bow rail lol. Perfect fishin rig for 2-4 people fer sure. But if I had to make it better it’d be a foot wider and 4 degrees deeper imo.

4 degrees deeper, your slowest plane speed would change though.
4 degrees steeper the softer ride will overcome any potential higher speed. I went from a 17deg to 20deg stern, same loa besides the pod and can still stay on step at the same speed. Extra 50hp and propped right it’s a non-issue. Fuel economy suffers, but your back will gladly pay for a steeper deadrise.

4 degrees steeper the softer ride will overcome any potential higher speed. I went from a 17deg to 20deg stern, same loa besides the pod and can still stay on step at the same speed. Extra 50hp and propped right it’s a non-issue. Fuel economy suffers, but your back will gladly pay for a steeper deadrise.
4 degrees deadrise overall or just at the transom? Theoretically, should a boat not plane at the same speed with a 4 degree overall deadrise increase?

4 degrees deadrise overall or just at the transom? Theoretically, should a boat not plane at the same speed with a 4 degree overall deadrise increase?
Overall. I would think so, you’re the one that posted it would not. I know it takes more hp the steeper you go…

Overall. I would think so, you’re the one that posted it would not. I know it takes more hp the steeper you go…
Sorry, I may have not said it right. I suggest it will not plane at the same speed with a 4 degree overall steeper deadrise. Agreed on the more horsepower required. A few charter guys I know with the steep deadrise say it take a lot of throttle to get them on and keep them on plane.

Back