2 under 77 cm rule again next year ? [ in area 23 ]

We have had some very productive SFAC meetings and a lot of opportunity for input. I think that everyone around the table wants the best for our fishery. Everyone, including DFO has learned a lot from past mistakes and the focus now is on moving forward to figure out how to get more fish coming back rather than getting all caught up in the blame game. I would encourage those who are interested to get involved and attend the SFAC meetings to learn more and have some input.

Great post searun. Nice to see you posting up a bit again. I always appreciate your knowledge and input on this forum.

I will second that the SFAC's are in place and the most direct way we can reach out to the DFO. Get involved please anglers. I go to every meeting I can. I will try to post up meetings in my area and I hope other anglers will do the same.

Cheers,
John

Thanks John, I've been very busy and got a bit tired of some of the negativity. Buddy encouraged me to take a look at some recent posts, so here I am.

There's lots of good things being done in cooperation with DFO as opposed to us sporties taking the opposing view. Managing a complex fishery like we have here on the West Coast is no easy chore, and I have learned there is also no possible way to please people so the best is to encourage them to get involved directly in processes that get their views heard. These forums are great entertainment, but frankly not a good place to design management policy.

For those who want to hear more about issues in Area 23 and have opportunity for input, the Area 23 SFAC meeting will be October 16 at 7 p.m. in Port Alberni at the Kinsman Hut located on the fairgrounds.

Latest update - we are well above predicted Chinook escapement - great news:

Somass Chinook Stock Assessment Update

Pre-season forecast:
16,000 Chinook
Escapement
Stamp Falls October 7 -22,581 chinook and 48,592 coho Sproat- October 7 - 51 chinook and 14,171 coho
Biological Information:
Biological samples will be collected from the hatchery. Expected Somass Age Composition: 43%, 22%, and 34% for age 3, 4, 5 /adults, respectively.
RCH Hatchery requires 1,800 females for egg target of 7.2 million, to date eggs harvested are at 1.6 million and another 1.7 million eggs from females in holding. Total of 10,197 chinook harvested by RCH staff which consist of 875 females and 9,322 males.
Catch to date in the First Nations coho fishery 1,802 pcs

Most could have told them that a few months ago but great to see the numbers none the less. Still sad when we are cheering with under 25k springs.

Most could have told them that a few months ago but great to see the numbers none the less. Still sad when we are cheering with under 25k springs.

Are you going to be at the SFAC meeting on the 16th Kelly? I'm going to try to show up to learn more about what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes...sounds like a sausage party. Good to see numbers are better than expected, but that's not many females! Lets hope the second 10k are mostly does.

Are you going to be at the SFAC meeting on the 16th Kelly? I'm going to try to show up to learn more about what's going on.

Nope ill be busy at school. There is pretty good info available online, I've wrote a few papers on the subject and it hasn't been too tough to dig up. Being a hatchery run it usually just comes down to the $$$ available but the local management as many would agree has made some poor calls. I'm pretty neutral on their decision to shutdown the sound this year though, it was better than overfishing a weak return.

Hey just an alert. The Area 23 SFAC meeting has been changed to Nov 13 (Wednesday) at 7 p.m. at the Kinsmen Hut in Port Alberni. Meeting date was changed to gain benefit of updated Chinook info and availability of key DFO staff.

Sorry about change of date.

Here's latest - not so dire Stamp count:

OBSERVATIONS:
Through October 13, a total of 50,126 adult coho, 3616 coho jacks, 26,915 adult Chinook, 632 Chinook jacks, 89,016 adult sockeye, and 93,583 sockeye jacks are estimated to have passed through the Stamp falls fishway. Through October 14, a total of 13,983 adult coho, 1080 coho jacks, 85 adult Chinook, 122,129 adult sockeye, and 334,081 sockeye jacks are estimated to have passed through the Sproat falls fishway.
Since October 7, daily escapement counts through the Stamp Falls fishway ranged between 254 and 961 adult Chinook, and 91 and 294 adult coho. Adult sockeye daily escapement since October 7 ranged from 0 to 12 at the Stamp falls fishway. A small pulse of sockeye through the Sproat fishway has continued, with daily sockeye adults since October 7 ranging from 1 to 44 and daily sockeye jacks ranging from 12 to 78.
The discharge rate is still high but has decreased over the past week and river temperatures have continued to decrease. Over the past week river temperatures have ranged between 15.0 and 15.9oC at the Sproat fishway (Figure 4). Temperature data from the Stamp Falls fishway is currently unavailable because the HOBO environmental monitoring system is experiencing technical difficulties.
Note: Salmon escapement estimates in this bulletin are preliminary, based on an initial digital video review.

Here's latest update. Numbers look fine. Some of the what appear to be high adult numbers are jacks. The video system they use for counting is highly subject to human error. A lot of what they counted will still be 3 year olds. They will get a better count at the hatchery once they finish egg collection. Early indications are a very high count of males to females - so that's your jack count.

OBSERVATIONS:
Through October 21, a total of 50,725 adult coho, 3734 coho jacks, 28,437 adult Chinook, 666 Chinook jacks, 89,022 adult sockeye, and 93,604 sockeye jacks are estimated to have passed through the Stamp falls fishway. Through October 21, a total of 14,038 adult coho, 1087 coho jacks, 111 adult Chinook, 122,198 adult sockeye, and 334,132 sockeye jacks are estimated to have passed through the Sproat falls fishway.
Since October 14, daily escapement counts through the Stamp Falls fishway ranged between 72 and 385 adult Chinook, and 20 and 132 adult coho. Adult sockeye daily escapement since October 14 ranged from 0 to 5 at the Stamp falls fishway. Sockeye continue to move through the Sproat fishway, with daily sockeye adults since October 15 ranging from 2 to 28 and daily sockeye jacks ranging from 0 to 15.
The discharge rate is moderate and over the past week has continued to decrease along with river temperatures. Over the past week river temperatures have ranged between 14.2 and 15.0oC at the Sproat fishway (Figure 4). Temperature data from the Stamp Falls fishway is currently unavailable because the HOBO environmental monitoring system is experiencing technical difficulties.
Note: Salmon escapement estimates in this bulletin are preliminary, based on an initial digital video review.

Final Chinook bulletin of the season:

Come out and find out more in the Area 23 SFAC meeting - Nov 13th at 7 p.m. in the Port Alberni Kinsmen's Hut.

Somass Chinook Stock Assessment Update
Pre-season forecast:
16,000 Chinook
Escapement
Stamp Falls October 21 -28,437 chinook and 50,725 coho Sproat- October 21 - 111 chinook and 14,038 coho
Biological Information:
Biological samples will be collected from the hatchery. Expected Somass Age Composition: 43%, 22%, and 34% for age 3, 4, 5 /adults, respectively. RCH Hatchery required approximately 1,800 females for egg target of 7.2 million, that target was achieved on October 24. Total of 21,089 chinook harvested by RCH staff which consisted of 1,752 females and 19,337 males.
Catch to date in the First Nations: coho fishery 2,094 pcs chum fishery 945 pcs
NEXT WEEK'S FISHING PLANS:
First Nations
Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath, Tseshaht)
Hook and Line - Alberni Inlet food social and ceremonial fishing (with rod and reel) from Paper Mill Dam to Ten mile Point.
Commercial
No fisheries planned.
Recreational
Chinook conservation measures in Alberni Inlet have expired, Chinook non retention remains in effect on the Stamp/ Somass rivers. For more information please contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440

Back