2$ to 3$ a litre gas this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the difference in gas prices across Canada and the US you realize that we are getting screwed in Canada, especially the lower mainland. IMHO I think that the extra high prices here are a form of punishment for many in the lower mainland not supporting the TMX pipeline. To listen to their BS explanations of why the price so high is like listening to a bunch of politicians explaining some BS piece of legislation. I get that there are complex global market factors in play here that I don't fully understand, but I call BS on two things in particular:

1) the insane price of gas in localized areas - they say it is due to local market supply and demand conditions. So they been in the business for over 100 years and they can't figure how to supply local markets with enough fuel? Sorry I don't believe that they are that stupid.

2) the fact the gas goes up and down daily or even several times in a day like the stock market. The refinery sells a certain amount of fuel at a certain price, the gas station buys it as a certain price. They should then sell it at the price they paid for it plus their regular percentage mark up until all that fuel is sold, or until they get another delivery at a different price. You don't go to the store and see milk, lumber, beef prices, etc. price changes daily or several times a day. This is just plain old price gouging!!!

The oil companies are posting record profits right now - that is the most obvious clue of all that they are price gouging! I say BS that they need to jack up the price to pay off their debts. Other business can only do this to a certain point till they price themselves out of business. The oil companies don't worry about this because they know most of us will pay whatever they charge because we either can't or won't live without our vehicles. They know they have us by the balls and they are taking advantage of it. Sadly, not much we can do but boycott them - but we never do, and our Govt. caves into them endlessly whenever they question fuel prices.

So I guess if one doesn't like paying these prices then don't drive or save up for an electric vehicle. I'm going to be saving up for an electric! My 2 bits.

1651854759826.png1651854797713.png

Last edited:
If you look at the difference in gas prices across Canada and the US you realize that we are getting screwed in Canada, especially the lower mainland. IMHO I think that the extra high prices here are a form of punishment for many in the lower mainland not supporting the TMX pipeline. To listen to their BS explanations of why the price so high is like listening to a bunch of politicians explaining some BS piece of legislation. I get that there are complex global market factors in play here that I don't fully understand, but I call BS on two things in particular:

1) the insane price of gas in localized areas - they say it is due to local market supply and demand conditions. So they been in the business for over 100 years and they can't figure how to supply local markets with enough fuel? Sorry I don't believe that they are that stupid.

2) the fact the gas goes up and down daily or even several times in a day like the stock market. The refinery sells a certain amount of fuel at a certain price, the gas station buys it as a certain price. They should then sell it at the price they paid for it plus their regular percentage mark up until all that fuel is sold, or until they get another delivery at a different price. You don't go to the store and see milk, lumber, beef prices, etc. price changes daily or several times a day. This is just plain old price gouging!!!

The oil companies are posting record profits right now - that is the most obvious clue of all that they are price gouging! I say BS that they need to jack up the price to pay off their debts. Other business can only do this to a certain point till they price themselves out of business. The oil companies don't worry about this because they know most of us will pay whatever they charge because we either can't or won't live without our vehicles. They know they have us by the balls and they are taking advantage of it. Sadly, not much we can do but boycott them - but we never do, and our Govt. caves into them endlessly whenever they question fuel prices.

So I guess if one doesn't like paying these prices then don't drive or save up for an electric vehicle. I'm going to be saving up for an electric! My 2 bits.

View attachment 79171View attachment 79172
Right? Have to be in the industry to not believe it. Or they know but gotta push the narrative anyways. No way you can convince me we’re not getting screwed twice. Subsidizing an industry that’s gouging Canadians for record profits. All you need is eyes in your head to see it.

The ENGO Lib government has sold this country a lie. Carbon tax will not help Canada transition towards alternative fuels for vehicles, and will do nothing meaningful for climate change. Carbon tax on fuel is only serving to drive up inflation. Even if Canada wanted to change, there isn't the electrical capacity nor are there enough electric vehicles available to purchase. A pipe dream. What we really needed was a transformation, not an artificially induced crisis.

Drop the carbon tax, and replace it with a tax on Chinese imports unless they can certify their products were manufactured sustainably and that China is actually making strides to curb carbon pollution. China is a significant carbon polluter, and by allowing their cheap imports into our country without a Carbon tax is doing nothing to shift the largest carbon polluter. Motivate change through economic influence. Chinese production is propped up by lower environmental protection costs than Canadian manufacturers are forced to comply with. Let's level the playing field.

Dump the carbon tax on fuel, and let Canadian business compete with Chinese imports on a more level playing field. We might actually create more wealth and jobs here at home.

The ENGO Lib government has sold this country a lie. Carbon tax will not help Canada transition towards alternative fuels for vehicles, and will do nothing meaningful for climate change. Carbon tax on fuel is only serving to drive up inflation. Even if Canada wanted to change, there isn't the electrical capacity nor are there enough electric vehicles available to purchase. A pipe dream. What we really needed was a transformation, not an artificially induced crisis.

Drop the carbon tax, and replace it with a tax on Chinese imports unless they can certify their products were manufactured sustainably and that China is actually making strides to curb carbon pollution. China is a significant carbon polluter, and by allowing their cheap imports into our country without a Carbon tax is doing nothing to shift the largest carbon polluter. Motivate change through economic influence. Chinese production is propped up by lower environmental protection costs than Canadian manufacturers are forced to comply with. Let's level the playing field.

Dump the carbon tax on fuel, and let Canadian business compete with Chinese imports on a more level playing field. We might actually create more wealth and jobs here at home.
Post of the year winner right there. Only thing that could have made it better would be if you signed It off with a big old
“F Trudeau” at the end.

Please edit it.

We are now heading into the political conversation around carbon tax, government failures etc. It has been stated many times on here that, while many of these political posts are hot button topics, they are not going to happen here on this fishing forum. Just not interested in constantly cleaning up the mess that comes with them and there is always another place on the internet that will welcome the politically charged debate.

No disrespect intended ILHG as I know you are well versed on the subject but it's not all taxes.. The oil companies are making billions right now. I do agree however that the governments are taking their share.

Oil companies don't set the World Oil Prices that ultimately affect higher profits. This is where politics world wide comes into play. Sorry.....off topic.

No mention of over a billion dollars in subsidies Canadians pay to oil companies in that article. No mention of all the jobs shipped out of country instead of kept in Canada building, maintaining and refining our raw resources. Sad we’ve been brainwashed into thinking it pro Canadian to support other countries economy’s with our raw resources. Not just oil either but our trees too. Those same companies will tell you it’s too expensive to build another refinery but we can build two for the cost of the TMX so some ones lying to us. Can’t wait til we find out who.
It wasn't always about the costs until more recently. Again about government red tape and special interests groups looking for hand outs that could stymy any traction moving forward in this country.

Suncor just posted a record profit.

The company also reduced net debt by $728 million in the first quarter of 2022, reaching net debt levels of $15.4 billion

Suncor could use all its profits from last year and this year and they still wouldn't pay off all their debt.

I got an dollar an hour raise at work so i guess im making record earnings as well lol, I'm not saying they are not taking advantage of the market but where was everyone when these companies were racking up debt with low prices.

went to whiterock on sunday to pick up our new frenchbulldog , gas was 222.9 for regular , told the wife i would rather drive on the ferry on fumes then pay that..

The company also reduced net debt by $728 million in the first quarter of 2022, reaching net debt levels of $15.4 billion

Suncor could use all its profits from last year and this year and they still wouldn't pay off all their debt.

I got an dollar an hour raise at work so i guess im making record earnings as well lol, I'm not saying they are not taking advantage of the market but where was everyone when these companies were racking up debt with low prices.
Forget the dollar an hour, tell me how if you went to work and it cost you money every day how you’d still be in business?

tell me how if you went to work and it cost you money every day how you’d still be in business?

isn't that the problem, lots of oil companies and the services that support them did go belly up. The big boys just went into debt.

seems like some are forgetting this was going on

Last edited:
Nah, I just don’t believe that BS anymore. Sorry WM but the big oil companies been whining forever they lose money. Even as gas is skyrocketing in price. Oil goes up, gas goes up, oil goes down, gas goes up. The correlation just isn’t there. Or maybe it is and we just need to shed a few of the ones living off the government tit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back