2$ to 3$ a litre gas this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh supply and demand absolutely matter. Hence when the world was flooded with oil during the shale oil boom (2015-2020) the price collapsed. Current daily oil consumption is surpassing production and we have eaten away at the surplus. Note, the Biden administration along with other country's opened up strategic oil reserves as to ease the prices and it was short term.

There has been such a shortage of investment in Oil the last 5 years & we are seeing it now. Opec dosent have much more to give. They haven't drilled **** in years and the wells they shut in can't come back online. They need very expensive means of artificial lift & the COVID supply chain has made it almost impossible.

Iran is the only production behind pipe. They can't flip a switch if they wanted to. The wells and infrastructure is in shambles. It would take equipment we just don't have in the globe right now to bring oil online

Are oil prices always political. Well I guess so. The Biden administration on Day 1 in office canceled a pipeline (Keystone) that would have delivered a steady reliable stream of 830,000 bbls/d into the USA. Months later the President asked Opec to increase production to help reduce domestic oil prices..

The federal Liberals are responsible for many majior oil sand expansions being canceled. In the millions of daily barrels. Many have made national news.Oil sand projects do not decline they are stable daily production which keeps prices stable.

So those 2 examples do show that indeed oil prices are political...
The world is awash in PROVEN and RECOVERABLE oil reserves. As of 2019 Saudi Arabia is #2 with about 267 billion barrels. It is the cheapest to recover (about $6/bbl.) and of high quality. Venezuela is #1 with 299 billion high sulfur, heavy crude barrels. Other Arabian countries have a other 600 billion barrels, also high quality. Canada has substantial reserves in the oil sands but it is dirty and very expensive ($55 to $70/bbl. to recover and to refine. Russia has reserves of about 80 billion proven barrels. There are 30 other countries with significant oil reserves.

Canada can certainly produce more but the bottleneck is at the Louisiana refineries. The ONLY refineries in the world available for sands crude. China refuses it.

Oil recovery technology is the best it has ever been. Aramco says they can pump today's volumes (18% of the global supply) for 200 years. Oil markets are some of the most manipulated and orchestrated in the world. Reasons for high prices are just smoke screens for the trading algorithms designed to maximize producer profits.

It is political but not in the way most imagine. Politicians do not dictate to the oil cartels. They make or break political careers and have dictated foreign policy for decades. Read up on the Bush family and Dick Cheney for more insight.

Feb. 23rd Edited the numbers: not trillion but billion. Sorry, I was suffering old-timers syndrome when I wrote that. Thanks Walleyes!

Last edited:
Gas and Diesel engines will be still going strong for a long time still.. no matter what they say the tech for long range electric is still not there! Even if tesla and others want to prove it out, Canada does not have enough support or infrastructure to handle full electric either.

Being a red sealed auto tech I have very little faith in the current infrastructure and no faith in the knowledge out there. The right to repair act has not been updated to allow access to any of the repair info for the vehicles that do exsist in the private market. only dealers can repair them currently which is not sustainable!

The world is awash in PROVEN and RECOVERABLE oil reserves. As of 2019 Saudi Arabia is #2 with about 267 Trillion barrels. It is the cheapest to recover (about $6/bbl.) and of high quality. Venezuela is #1 with 299 Trillion high sulfur barrels. Other Arabian countries have a other 600 Trillion barrels, also high quality. Canada has substantial reserves in the oil sands but it is dirty and very expensive ($55 to $70/bbl. to recover and to refine. Russia has reserves of about 80 Trillion proven barrels. There are 30 other countries with significant oil reserves.

Canada can certainly produce more but the bottleneck is at the Louisiana refineries. The ONLY refineries in the world available for sands crude. China refuses it.

Oil recovery technology is the best it has ever been. Aramco says they can pump today's volumes (18% of the global supply) for 200 years. Oil markets are some of the most manipulated and orchestrated in the world. Reasons for high prices are just smoke screens for the trading algorithms designed to maximize producer profits.

It is political but not in the way most imagine. Politicians do not dictate to the oil cartels. They make or break political careers and have dictated foreign policy for decades. Read up on the Bush family and Dick Cheney for more insight.
With all do respect Foxsea,, your numbers are quite askew. Not sure where your getting them from but they are not correct. From your reserve details to your production costs to produce AB oil. I know that the numbers you speak of are out there and floating around but those of us in the know, know they aren’t correct.

I don’t want to start an argument on it but they just aren’t.

ILGH is a reservoir / production engineer for a major producer here in AB the man does this for a living. His company pays him to know this stuff to the most infinite detail. When he speaks on this listen and learn.

With all do respect Foxsea,, your numbers are quite askew. Not sure where your getting them from but they are not correct. From your reserve details to your production costs to produce AB oil. I know that the numbers you speak of are out there and floating around but those of us in the know, know they aren’t correct.

ILGH is a reservoir / production engineer for a major producer here in AB the man does this for a living. His company pays him to know this stuff to the most infinite detail. When he speaks on this listen and learn.
Maybe so. ILGH is boots on the ground but I think his big-picture perception is askew. I remain an investor in the industry and this is an except from a recent analysis, published by Forbes:

"The global market is tight, despite statements from major oil producers that continue to focus on the risks of over-production, rising inventories and falling prices, rather than shortfalls and rising prices. The most logical inference is producers are comfortable with the rising price trend and willing to take a chance on prices escalating further in the short to medium term. Producers will likely continue to restrict output as long as they can deflect blame for increasing prices onto fears about Russia, coronavirus flare-ups, future slowdowns in demand, and pressure from investors worried about the energy transition.

Inventories of petroleum shot up massively during 2020 amid peak lockdowns. So, OPEC+’s job has been two-fold over the past 18 months — hold back enough supply to meet demand but not oversaturate the market and make sure that global inventories for both crude oil and refined products drain. That takes exceptional supply discipline, and the Saudi-Russia-led cartel has delivered. OPEC+ has been so successful that oil prices have been steadily rising since Brent dropped below $20 a barrel at the pandemic's peak in the spring of 2020.

OPEC+ has begun the process of easing supply cuts by adding 400,000 barrels a day each month. Global inventories are now close to “normal” pre-pandemic levels, but OPEC+ remains hesitant of adding more supply at this time, even though major consuming nations including the U.S., Japan, and India have urged them to.

Why is OPEC+ not adding more supply despite prices over $95 a barrel? Because it remains wary about demand further into 2022. It remains concerned about fresh Covid-19 outbreaks, particularly after the experience with the Delta variant and their potential to curb demand. Although restrictions are easing in many countries, Eastern Europe and Russia have had fresh outbreaks have brought about new lockdowns or mobility restrictions.

OPEC+ also knows that the recent surge in Brent prices to over $95 has been caused by the global spike in natural gas prices. The gas price spike is predicated on fears of a very cold winter in Europe and Asia. Russia has exacerbated this by sabre-rattling at Ukraine and the resistance of Germany to certify the Nord Stream 2 gas line from Russia. Prices could fall off sharply if this colder-than-normal weather does not materialize and the Russia situation is resolved. Some power generators with the capability to switch from expensive gas as feedstock will switch to oil products this winter, which could boost oil demand by 400,000 barrels a day to 1 million barrels a day.

OPEC+ is also eyeing the later 2022 oil market. Winter could bring more Covid cases, and spring is a lower-demand “shoulder” season. Adding more supply over the 400,000 barrels per month could result in an oil surplus forming in mid 2022. OPEC+ does not want to go back to square one with reducing inventories.

While most experts forecast that global oil demand will return to pre-pandemic levels of over 100 million barrels a day in 2022, much of the heavy lifting will occur in the second half of the year. The summer months in the Northern Hemisphere — the so-called peak driving/flying season — account for much of the demand growth in any year.

What to expect from OPEC+ ? The cartel is expected to keep its current agreement in place and not add more supplies than the previously agreed 400,000 barrels a day each month. Group leader Saudi Arabia has already said that it sees no demand in the physical market for additional barrels. It has also controlled prices for Saudi “spot” barrels — a move that reflects their commitment. Yes, oil markets are tight — but there is no shortage of oil available to global refiners.

One thing OPEC+ could address is that over the past two months, it has been adding less than the agreed to 400,000 barrels a day. It has been over-complying with its supply pact because some weaker members, mainly from West Africa — Nigeria and Angola — have been unable to produce at their quotas due to operational, technical, and investment issues. The larger cartel producers like Saudi, Russia, or the UAE could easily step in and fill that void, which could add supply and perhaps take some heat out of these prices."

Last edited:
All notable stuff Foxsea for sure.

I think in your reserve estimates you have Natural gas reserves mixed up with oil reserves, possibly but I’m not sure. Or you just got some bad info.

Total Proved world oil reserves sit at around 1.6 trillion bbl, thats for the world. Venezuela sits at around 300 billion not trillion. Canada still sits in number 3 at around 170 billion. I’m sure there’s more out there someplace but even at these reserves that doesn’t necessarily even mean it can all be produced. At current world consumption rates there is only around 50 years of proved reserves left. Which in the big scheme of things that’s not a whole lot.

The world is awash in PROVEN and RECOVERABLE oil reserves. As of 2019 Saudi Arabia is #2 with about 267 Trillion barrels. It is the cheapest to recover (about $6/bbl.) and of high quality. Venezuela is #1 with 299 Trillion high sulfur barrels. Other Arabian countries have a other 600 Trillion barrels, also high quality. Canada has substantial reserves in the oil sands but it is dirty and very expensive ($55 to $70/bbl. to recover and to refine. Russia has reserves of about 80 Trillion proven barrels. There are 30 other countries with significant oil reserves.

Going to stop the 55-70 barrel fantasy right now. I work at a dirty oil sands site. Last year out the door was $19.23 CAD. End of story….

Going to stop the 55-70 barrel fantasy right now. I work at a dirty oil sands site. Last year out the door was $19.23 CAD. End of story….
Also….the refineries in Scotford and the newly built one in Red Water AB handle our oil just fine. The company I work for is part owner in it and a portion of our oil goes directly there. You are right about the Louisiana refineries. They were built by Shell and the plan was to send as much Canadian heavy oil there as possible up to 700 000 a day. Well you know what happened there. So instead of running those places at capacity they had to run partial rates with extremely dirty heavy oil from Mexico. This is a huge Carbon footprint with far lower output…..but hey it’s not oil sands oil.

Last edited:
All notable stuff Foxsea for sure.

I think in your reserve estimates you have Natural gas reserves mixed up with oil reserves, possibly but I’m not sure. Or you just got some bad info.

Total Proved world oil reserves sit at around 1.6 trillion bbl, thats for the world. Venezuela sits at around 300 billion not trillion. Canada still sits in number 3 at around 170 billion. I’m sure there’s more out there someplace but even at these reserves that doesn’t necessarily even mean it can all be produced. At current world consumption rates there is only around 50 years of proved reserves left. Which in the big scheme of things that’s not a whole lot.
Walleyes, you are entirely correct on my erroneous numbers. What the hell! My bad. I'll do an edit: it is billions, of course.

"Saudi Aramco, recently commissioned an outside audit of its proved reserves. The independent external audit found Saudi’s proved oil reserves to be at least 270 billion barrels."
Forbes, 2021

I stand corrected on those numbers. Thank you!

Also….the refineries in Scotford and the newly built one in Red Water AB handle our oil just fine. The company I work for is part owner in it and a portion of our oil goes directly there. You are right about the Louisiana refineries. They were built by Shell and the plan was to send as much Canadian heavy oil there as possible up to 700 000 a day. Well you know what happened there. So instead of running those places at capacity they had to run partial rates with extremely dirty heavy oil from Mexico. This is a huge Carbon footprint with far lower output…..but hey it’s not oil sands oil.
When people look at the pumps at the price of oil and look at the profit margins of oil companies they get a little confused I think when it comes to profitability. Don’t get me wrong I’m not feeling sorry for them but it can be a tricky game, especially in refining. Lots of companies have lost their shirts on refining. Very few producers as is evident want anything to do with refining and there’s a reason for that. If there was nothing but money in it wouldn’t we see every company wanting in on it. People have to quit taking Hollywood as a source of information and take it for what it is,, entertainment and that’s it.

William Maybee Ph.D, Queens University, Energy and Environmental Policy.

Recent, higher crude prices have been a godsend for Alberta producers.

"It is still difficult for higher-cost producers to compete. One of the mistakes people make is in assuming that
the oilsands are one big monolithic thing,” Mabee said.
There are big players that have managed to keep costs down, but many Albertan oil operations face higher, break-even costs."

According to a 2019 economic review document published by the Government of Alberta, “the breakeven [WTI] price for a new stand‑alone mine is currently within the US$75‑85/ bbl range,” while in-situ production is lower, at around US$55 or US$60 per barrel — still way above the WTI oil prices.

Oil from Alberta’s oilsands is always at a price disadvantage compared to its American counterparts, according to analysts Williams-Derry. "Western Canadian Select, the oil price seen as a benchmark for oil from Alberta’s oilsands, suffers from what’s known as a price differential, when compared to the North American benchmark, West Texas Intermediate (WTI). That price differential is the result of two factors: location and quality."

Alberta’s bitumen has to travel further to reach the Louisiana refineries that will process most of it. While much has been said about companies experiencing difficulty securing pipeline capacity, there is no reserve refinery capacity. Oil from Alberta’s oilsands is also of lesser quality:

“We talk about oil as if it’s one thing. But it’s actually a range of things, a mixture of hydrocarbons,” says Williams-Derry. “Each barrel of oil is its own thing. Light, sweet crude demands the highest price. Some crude, like the oil sands production, is higher in sulphur and other impurities. Most of it is heavier.”

"Alberta’s oil is similar to cold molasses," as Williams-Derry points out — "and it is difficult for most oil refineries to process. In short, it is less desirable. All of this leads to a significantly lower benchmark oil price for Alberta’s oilsands production."

A benchmark is just that — a benchmark, meaning that some producers may be able to fetch a higher price, but also that some can be forced, out of desperation, to sell off barrels at even less.

Last edited:
In 2019 the only place with those numbers was the Fort Hills site and even they are much lower now. All bigger players are well below the $30 mark CAD and we went below $20. Not going to argue with your internet findings. Lower prices forced huge synergies and costs dropped drastically.

the breakeven [WTI] price for a new stand‑alone mine is currently within the US$75‑85/ bbl range,” while in-situ production is lower, at around US$55 or US$60 per barrel — still way above the WTI oil prices.
These numbers as noted, are quoted for a "new stand-alone mine" and accounts for investment cost to build. Remember that it cost many billions of dollars to open a new oilsands mine and extraction/refinery facility which is why at $75-85 there's not many takers sitting on the sidelines looking to build a new one that takes years to build. Existing open pit mines like Suncor, Syncrude, CNRL, Kearl etc operate at a much lower cost. I recently read that Suncor's 2022 estimates is somewhere around the $25-28 DPB. These numbers can change due to unplanned production outages etc but these companies are not hurting at current prices by any means.

A little off the topic of the $2 per litre for gas but I have a soft spot for the oilsands and like to clarify/inform when I can.
A dirtier oil than some--for sure- but not a bad as some make it out to be.
More costly than some--for sure--but again, not as expensive as some make it out to be.

Kurt said the same thing. Merc does say you can run it in my engines as well. I more worry about the fuel system and tank. I guess I could just add stabilizer in the winter to avoid the separation. Might be worthwhile if the spread is 25 cents a liter.
The difference was 40 cents in Nanaimo last summer.

In 2019 the only place with those numbers was the Fort Hills site and even they are much lower now. All bigger players are well below the $30 mark CAD and we went below $20. Not going to argue with your internet findings. Lower prices forced huge synergies and costs dropped drastically.
I would agree with you on the efficiency and synergy forced by low prices. The survivors are still challenged with difficult business cases. There is certainly a departure between the Government figures and your information, though. Another issue is the massive Government subsidies this industry has enjoyed over several decades. Of course, we also subsidized SNC Lavalin and Bombardier into the $billions and First Nations have benefited from the ever-open Government cheque books.

There’s more pain at the pump ahead for drivers as gasoline prices keep climbing.
The national average price of regular unleaded is up significantly since last year. Strong demand and a slow rebound in worldwide oil production have pushed prices higher, as has the impending Russian invasion of Ukraine. Additionally, The international sanctions on Russia’s sizable oil and natural gas exports also drive up energy prices. Unfortunately, we expect gas prices to keep rising as spring and summer arrives and more people take to the roads on vacation. - Feb. 2022 Kiplinger's Letter

You know what we need to do, is fish more with buddies. Sort of like car pooling but with fishing. It will reduce cost when it's split up.

It's getting rediculus to run a boat. It's a dam shame that fishing is becoming a tradition for those with disposable income. It's heart breaking to think of retired folks &/or on a fixed income not being able to fish anymore. Inflation through the roof, never ending cost increases..

I'm guilty of at times only fishing with by myself or just my kid. Especially early mornings.

I'm going to be in CR this summer for just under 2 weeks. I will use this forum to reach out if anyone wants to go fishing when I can. It may be short notice, but I will still do it.

@Admin how about a page where folks can post a spot on the boat. Or looking for fishing partner? Even if it only gets a few pepole on the water this year, I think it worth doing. Who knows hopefully it catches on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back