2 Stroke Oil

Just bought a few Jugs myself
West Marine ( Granville Island ), has , I beileve 4 liter containers of tcw3 ( West Marine Brand )on sale for $13.99 ,

seems like a good deal...

FD...;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

quote:Originally posted by beemer

Hey Scott , I am referring to two strokes from this decade!! Gone Fishin makes a very good point , I am referring to Direct Injection. If you are worried about warranty issues , only use the recommended oil. I run the Castrol 2 stroke oil in a 2001 Optimax 225 and a pair of 2004 Evinrude 150 DIs . Both types run better than the "recommended oil" and I have had no injector or powerhead issues with significant hours on the water.
Recently I had to replace this guys 2005 225HP optimax because his compressor blew up. The fragments from the compressor damaged the shrader and air regulater valve's and allowed metal into the fuel side of the fuel system. Now total dissasembly of the fuel system would be required for cleaning and valve repair. Dam it! valves are N/L/A for these rails. The new rails are over $2000 a piece. Do to corrosion issue's the line's wouldn't come out of the rails, vapour seperator ect. Many more fuel system parts would also nead replacing. Don't forget the air compressor that was beyond repair & all them hours. To cut a long story short it would of been in the neibourhood of $10,000 to repair this now 5 year old engine. Luckily for the guy I pulled the heads and was able to find enough damage to have the insurance company supply him with a new engine for a small deductable.(this was a guide boat with lots of hours, he ran mostly chevron oil or whatever else was cheap, and he had a clogged compressor oil filter.)The compressor was no longer being oiled.(must of forgot to mention that to the insurance guy.) Overheating or something may of been mentioned.(My bad.) You can buy a lot of good oil for the price of a large repair bill with no down time. Maybe castrol is a good enough oil,I don't no but wouldn't recomend it without a lot of research into viscosity, detergents,disbursents etc.Oil ratings mean there good enough for the industry not necessarily the engine. Sorry about being long winded.

This caused him lots of down time & money. He runs good oil in his new engine.

No IFL it wasn't only in old merc's.You no, the one's that liked to run cold.
Ecsesive idleing was probably an issue but wouldn't of mattered with good oil.

I still deal with carboned up engines on a regular bases.(most don't run cold)(thank god for quike clean & power & engine tuner etc, when caught in time.)

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Hey PW

I have been using Nautilus for years now with no troubles, Keep your eyes open for the Canadian Tire flyer comes on sale every year, load up then.

Cheers

Esora

hey Gone Fishin , I really don't think oil was the issue on your friends motor. I guess you really have to split boat owners into two groups , those who maintain their own motors and those who don't. I think your friend was probably in the "not so much" category. Your friend probably had a few warning signs .
Merc compressors will begin to sqeek long before they blow due to restricted oil flow. Corrosion in the fuel system in a 2005? Could be any number of things, but it sounds like it was living a hard life. Running cold is just as bad as running hot , stuck thermostat?
The Merc smart guage system is the best guaging I have used. It gives you all the info you need to know to have a healthy motor,but you have to be able to interpret those signs.
I would not use non recommended oil if you are still under warranty or don't do some of your own maintenance. Another important factor is not to mix and match oils. Find one and stick with it for a few tubs. Don't like it ? drain the tub and move on.

Oil is definately important , but I have seen manafacturers void warranties blaming "inferior oil" when the problem was obviously something else.

Hey he's got a new motor , he should be a happy man!

Just a thought,get some buds together and buy bulk. As in, 200L barrels. Big savings and all the big suppliers sell that way. Check your specs and buy away. We used shell sled oil, for injection systems, in saws, boats, anything 2 stroke and had no problems at all.

No IFL it wasn't only in old merc's.You no, the one's that liked to run cold.

[/quote]

Im not really sure what you mean by that. I didnt think any motor likes to run cold. Cold coking is a real prob with any engine, 4 strokes too. I ran that Nautilus and petro can when I had my 2 strokes, and would use them again, unless I had an E- tec, but I wouldnt have one anyway, or an optimax.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by beemer

hey Gone Fishin , I really don't think oil was the issue on your friends motor. I guess you really have to split boat owners into two groups , those who maintain their own motors and those who don't. I think your friend was probably in the "not so much" category. Your friend probably had a few warning signs .
Merc compressors will begin to sqeek long before they blow due to restricted oil flow. Corrosion in the fuel system in a 2005? Could be any number of things, but it sounds like it was living a hard life. Running cold is just as bad as running hot , stuck thermostat?
The Merc smart guage system is the best guaging I have used. It gives you all the info you need to know to have a healthy motor,but you have to be able to interpret those signs.
I would not use non recommended oil if you are still under warranty or don't do some of your own maintenance. Another important factor is not to mix and match oils. Find one and stick with it for a few tubs. Don't like it ? drain the tub and move on.

Oil is definately important , but I have seen manafacturers void warranties blaming "inferior oil" when the problem was obviously something else.

Hey he's got a new motor , he should be a happy man!

Hay beemer. Ya it was the oil.(how many oil filers does yours have???) Gelling was the issue.It was winter and the oil got too thick for the filter. There was no corrosion in the fuel system only chunks of compressor rod and bearing. If your compressor sqeeks don't you think you have a problem?. By the time you get compressor overheat on your smart craft(and thats all your goona get)it's probably to late anyway. Oh ya he always maintained his own motor(wasn't bad at it either)untill things went wrong.His only problem was crappy oil.

Sorry IFL was a little sarcasim in there. Think I was going back to the day's of leaded fuel.

ALWAYS pour new oil through a painters filter into your tank to ensure your not adding a contaminated batch to your system. Once a year drain your system, clean the tank with solvent, if you find gel change the inline filter then re-pour oil again through a a painters filter.

Back