1996 Malibu Tyee

devgord

Hello all
I’ve just recently purchase a ‘96 Malibu Tyee and have been searching in vain for any of the manufactures specs or info. Hoping someone might know where to find them?
Currently running a ‘96 Merc 135 (carbureted). Wondering what some of you other owners are running on your boat?

Thanks
Dev

Hello all
I’ve just recently purchase a ‘96 Malibu Tyee and have been searching in vain for any of the manufactures specs or info. Hoping someone might know where to find them?
Currently running a ‘96 Merc 135 (carbureted). Wondering what some of you other owners are running on your boat?

Thanks
Dev
We have a 1993 Tyee with a F115 Yam. What spec do you need? The boat is much the same as the 17' Double Eagle so similar spec. - maybe a bit heavier.

Last edited:
We have a 1993 Tyee with a F115 Yam. What spec do you need? The boat is much the same as the 17' Double Eagle so similar spec. - maybe a bit heavier.
Really looking for any info I can get. Like to know as much about her as I can.
How much does it weigh?
Do you run trim tabs on yours Foxsea?

Really looking for any info I can get. Like to know as much about her as I can.
How much does it weigh?
Do you run trim tabs on yours Foxsea?
I think ours weighed about 150 pounds more than the Double Eagle spec. (dry and without motors or batteries). We have never found a need for tabs. It runs great in most reasonable conditions. The only negative is they sit at the dock low at the stern. Oh, and the fuel filler is in a really stupid place. We moved it.

My dad has a 1996 Malibu Tyee that he bought new. I also had a 2009 Tyee… PM me with any questions you have about it.

Our original motor was a 90 hp Evinrude Ocean Pro. Next was a new 90 hp Yamaha 4 stroke (2006). That was replaced with a new 2016 115 Yamaha 4 Stroke with a Yamaha 9.9 HT Kicker.

90 Evinrude had lots of torque… 115 Yamaha is my preferred motor on that boat.

Thanks for all the input!

I see a lot of people with Tyee or DB Eags with a 115 4stroke.
Some run with trim tabs. Most don’t.

I currently have a 135hp 2 stroke with no trim tabs. Only time I think of getting them is cruising on the lake with 4 plus people.

My engine is blowing blue smoke like crazy at start up and idle. Probably going to drain the tank and start over. Think the last guy had it running a bit rich.

also thinking of selling the 135hp and getting a 150hp for a deal from a friend. Let me know if that’s too much ;) haha.

Any one run there fuel line bulb before the water/fuel filter?

anyone have their batteries up in the bow?

Crazy thought, but anyone ever put a pod on the back of the 175?!? Lol

Thanks for all the input!

I see a lot of people with Tyee or DB Eags with a 115 4stroke.
Some run with trim tabs. Most don’t.

I currently have a 135hp 2 stroke with no trim tabs. Only time I think of getting them is cruising on the lake with 4 plus people.

My engine is blowing blue smoke like crazy at start up and idle. Probably going to drain the tank and start over. Think the last guy had it running a bit rich.

also thinking of selling the 135hp and getting a 150hp for a deal from a friend. Let me know if that’s too much ;) haha.
135 black max smokes like an old steam engine on startup...trim it up a bit and get the exhaust out of the water if your stern sits a bit low...I have an 18 ft malibu with a 135bm and a new 9.9 4stroke merc for a kicker...2 batteries in the back as well...hence it sits low....smokes like crazy if I don't trim up...tried every type of injector oil as well...merc seems to work best

Back