1991 Alberni Sockeye seine pics

Islandgirl

SockeyeSeineFishery1991AlberniInlet.jpg

SeinefleetoffChinaCreek1991.jpg

SockeyeSeineFishery1991AlberniInlet.jpg

62802394477903127812153.jpg

From the man who took the pictures, and managed the 1991 Fishery:

quote:Kind of surprised to see my photos resurface after all these years. Do I get royalties? Anyway, lets put things into perspective: Catch in 1991 totalled 1,161,000, including 763,000 seine and 283,000 gillnet (total commercial), recreational 79,000, First Nation 37,000. Escapement was 543,000 for a total run of 1,704,000 - a record return and near record escapement. The smolts from that escapement came out into the mackerel invasion. So, even in hindsight what would you have done? I do recall the recreational sector arguing, a few years later that DFO's escapement targets were too high... A slower paced extended seine fishery would have been preferred but that was not possible in the management regime of the day. That would have meant several weeks of still significant seine fisheries - I wonder what the rec sector would have thought of that? 1991 was the first year of significant rec catch of sockeye, followed by 2 years of catches exceeding 100,000. The Pilot Sale Fishery, later the Somass Food and Sale Fishery, came into being the following year. A lot has changed since than. The tools of the day were crude compared to those that exist now. Frankly, managing that seine fishery scared the hell out of me. Perhaps it's not too early to think about how one would manage a return of that size, unlikely as that seems now. Somass sockeye are a precious resource. It saddens me to see that some of the same battles are going on. One would think there are enough intelligent, well-meaning people in the department and all fishing sectors to come up with a fair and equitable sharing and fishing plan that would not endanger the resource, no matter how hard that might be.
Anyway, great to see your still fighting the good fight - interesting that many of the names from the '90's are still there.
Regards, Laurie Gordon

Thanks Nog,
Was just going to do that!

62802394477903127812153.jpg

At times is was pretty tricky to get your boat through the maze of nets near Nahmint on your way down the canal. [xx(]

wow...these pictures reveal all...I remember in old times, there were few commerical openings with lots and lots of boats, that's funny, when the commerical openings were over, waves of fish kept coming in, we were fortunate to catch the share of fish.

But now, after the commerical opening at once, there weren't waves of springs coming in. No fish...[V]

remembering being a knee high , back when we would stay at China Creek , we would walk down the breakwater , where uou could watch the Commercial boys up close , 50 yards sometimes , hearing the sound of a boom snapping like a twig as a boat was lifting there set onboard ,

walking the shores , every once and a while we would find a free dinner struggling close to shore , lol

Times of change

FD...;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

that picture is before the area selectoral came into effect thats when you had every boat on the coast at an opening. and why does only one boat have a net pursed already in the second picture I think he might of jump the gun a little.

quote:The official documented cause for the lower stock levels during the period that followed was mackerel predation and climate change

Better not let Alexandra Morton hear you say that, her science proves otherwise. Although I do remember the huge schools of Mackerel that were off Swiftsure in 93-95. DFO was doing test fisheries and pulling net after net up filled with them. Could not get your jig down before one of them would smack the lure.

Back