18ft tom-mac welded aluminium

mjd

eh gang

just wondering if anyone has any info/experience on 18ft tom-mac welded boats? they look pretty clean but there is almost no info on them. I heard that they have a water ballast system. . .not sure how it works but if it is as simple as channels running through the hull then do you have to worry about fouling?

I live in Tofino and am looking for something that can handle the conditions out here--within reason for a 18ft.

thanks
matt

The only thing I have heard about Tom Mack built alloy boats is that they are tanks (i.e. bomb proof, heavily built) which is a good thing IMO.

Water ballast systems are used quite a bit in Australia and New Zealand. There are a few builders from those regions on the Aluminum Alloy Boat forum. You could join up and ask one of them about it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
John

thanks guys, I guess what I have read is true. I am still wondering if the boat stays in a slip, are the ballast channels a possible fouling problem? If they are I would imagine that it effects the way its supposed to function.

they can foul for sure, only way to avoid that would be anti fouling paint or short periods in the water only. I have heard about this problem with these hulls from a lodge marine mechanic.

Back