150 hp vs 200 hp

Brett83

I am looking into switching motors on a 20 foot aluminum boat. From 150 to a 200. Both yamaha. The salesman said i would only gain 3 to 5 mph. I thought that was a bit low. The boat currently goes 38 mph. I was assuming i would gain 8 to 10 mph. Any thoughts?

I would say from the research I have done and some real world tests that his numbers are probably more realistic. Up on plane the 200 will have better response and more torque but not a 10mph improvement on top end speed...imo

From all that I've read the dealer's numbers sound about right. I highly doubt you'd get more than 5mph on the top end, especially if you're talking about going from the F150 (considered a "strong" 150) to a 4 cylinder F200 (considered to be a "weak" 200).

You want more hp so that at cruising it isn't working so hard...unless you intend to race the boat top end is the least important reason for more hp. Most of the time on the ocean you can't run wide open anyway.

How often can you go 38 in a 20’ aluminum in the sound/ocean? Reasons to repower would be for more reliability, running motor at lower rpm for a longer lasting motor and better load handling with possible mileage gains. Top speed ? Meh. If current motor has good life left and has adequate prrformance , save the coin for better electronics and fuel for her.

Back