12lb or 15lb cannon ball mold

crazycanuck

I'm curious as to what majority of guys use 12 or 15lb balls? I've got a bunch of lead (buck a pound = no brainer) and am going to order a do it mold not sure as to which one. I generally fish pretty shallow 25ft to 75ft and have the 1106 Scotties. The 15lb seem to be the deep offshore ball with HP downriggers... While im on that when fishing deep like 160ft do guys use flashers? with plugs and spoons? man am I itchin to get fishin!

I've been using 12#er for years and it's worked fine but I seldom go deeper than 100'. I just recently ordered a 15# mold so looking forward to pouring a few 15#'ers... will prob put the Do-It 12# mold up for sale sometime in the future...

I'm new to Campbell river this year. Had to upgrade to 15# Lots of tidal rip and so far all my fish have been caught @ 190 ft. My riggers aren't HP and seem to be doing fine just a little slower.

It's not worth it in the long run. I own three 15# molds and two melting pots. Buy the time I buy and keep up good quality safety equipment, propane, etc. It is cheaper just to buy balls on Craigslist.

If I had to choose just one mold, it would be a 15# , with two eyelets, one to attach the snubber and one for a dummy flasher. But I agree with FA for me it would not be worth the hassle or initial cost. Lead, mold, lead melting pot, propane, safety equipment (gloves, eye protection, mask, etc). For the amount I lose them, it is better to buy them. Take a scale with you though, not all cannonballs weigh what they are supposed to.

It's not worth it in the long run. I own three 15# molds and two melting pots. Buy the time I buy and keep up good quality safety equipment, propane, etc. It is cheaper just to buy balls on Craigslist.

i will buy a 15 mold without fin if u want to sell?

FA, he loses quite a few on a day!!!!!
buy a 12 or 15 just go buy one. your balls are never deep buy the 12 easier to find

Ya, I don't quite follow you FA, the boat is called "Balls deep".
Does this mean we could swing by next week and pick up surplus mold your not using?

Ya, I don't quite follow you FA, the boat is called "Balls deep".
Does this mean we could swing by next week and pick up surplus mold your not using?

More you don't seen to know or understand....:)

My boat has no name...... I am not selling my gear as I have $1000 or more invested. Well maybe I'd sell it for the right price.

FA, he loses quite a few on a day!!!!!
buy a 12 or 15 just go buy one. your balls are never deep buy the 12 easier to find

How would you even have a clue how many balls I lose? 1-2 a year maybe as I have gear set up correctly so I don't lose balls.

I could find 15 pound molds way easier then 12 pound molds.

I don't even carry 12 pound balls as they sell 1-100 verses 15 pounders

Please don't speak for me..... I don't believe you even know me

Thanks,

Lol, nobody said you loose any balls, I said HE loses quite afew in one day

I didn't ask you to sell any of your gear I asked " nicely" if you would sell a surplus mold. Not anything else.
I didn't ask for your boat name
I don't care how many balls you loose, nor did I ever imply or say you loose balls.
I donot understand where you get your stats from, but a quick eBay search shows afew 12 lb molds and no 15's.
Your posting in a pubic forum and your implying your not using your mold cuz your opinion is its cheaper to purchase elsewhere. I simply in a nice fashion asked if you where willing to sell one. A simple NO would suffice, instead of making a big scene out of it.

Sorry FA
Sent from my C625a using Tapatalk

I'm curious as to what majority of guys use 12 or 15lb balls? I've got a bunch of lead (buck a pound = no brainer) and am going to order a do it mold not sure as to which one. I generally fish pretty shallow 25ft to 75ft and have the 1106 Scotties. The 15lb seem to be the deep offshore ball with HP downriggers... While im on that when fishing deep like 160ft do guys use flashers? with plugs and spoons? man am I itchin to get fishin!

I have a radiant lures 15 lb finless mold avail for 90$ used 10 times 2508187825

Back