110 Boats Counted on Halibut Opening Day South Island

Not the past Kelly, the futuRE.

My previous post was a bit off the tongue, but in short, 3 years of logbook recording, and endless seasons of creel surveys have done nothing to show how few ET Fraser Chinook we do in fact intercept. Do a season or two with the slot limit and you will get it real quick! May as well stay home until the slot is lifted is mosts oppinion. Well guess what, now it may be a whole season of slots. Now with Hal...i the added presure increases and the seasons further decrease.

I agree with you,Kelly. It would be totally hipocritical of any of us not to participate in the creel surveys. I think,from preivious threads
on here, It seems the vast majority of us agree in accountability,and the only way to achieve this is through some sort of survey. The
fly by calculations are a crock of $hit,and I beleive we all know that!!

Not the past Kelly, the futuRE.

My previous post was a bit off the tongue, but in short, 3 years of logbook recording, and endless seasons of creel surveys have done nothing to show how few ET Fraser Chinook we do in fact intercept. Do a season or two with the slot limit and you will get it real quick! May as well stay home until the slot is lifted is mosts oppinion. Well guess what, now it may be a whole season of slots. Now with Hal...i the added presure increases and the seasons further decrease.

I agree the slot size to protect a small fraction of ET Fraser fish that will only be netted in river is a gongshow. However regarding hali it seems everyone hates the fly over calculations because they are inaccurate but these same guys say that creel surveyors can eat sh*&. DFO is far from perfect but we fisherman need to look in the mirror more often. There is not enough accountability, cooperation or understanding with fisherman to at least help steer DFO in the right direction. This is not a direct slam at anyone and certainly nothing to do with the log book program but if i was an outsider looking at DFO/fisherman i would say their both out to lunch in many cases.

You really dont get it do you WE HAVE helped in the past and got punished for it do what you want ill NEVER EVER help them fu$%^Rs again how do you think we got in this mess "WE HELPED THEM GET AMMO"

Winning duh

It sounds like they wasted your time which is BS but stomping your feet and fighting them at every point now hardly makes things right. I agree that it is to bad that all info shared now has to be thoroughly thought about in fear of it coming back to "bite you in the butt". That said wolf listen to your argument on this thread....

-"VOODOO math im sure in there minds id bet they thought every boat limited out????"

-"will have a very hard time convicing me and my fellow friends/guides in cooperating with them."

You complain about their voodoo math and then say your not going to help them get any hard numbers. Its hypocritical and a perfect example of my above point. Explain how they should do it without just labelling them as whack jobs hell bent on ending our fishery because one way or another they have to manage it somehow.

I say we work with the SFAB, BCWF, BC SFI, etc. (i.e. groups that have some resources and that support sport fishing) and start to collect our own data. If we don't collect data then we our helpless to try to get DFO to change their minds. A big part of the reason why their management decisions are so stupid is because they have so little real, accurate data. Since they have to have something to base their decisions on they use their small, unrepresentitive, innaccurate data sets they have and extrapolate them to make up for the data they don't, but should have. The DFO hasn't had the $ or staff to collect proper data in the past. The current round of Harper cuts will reduce DFO's abilities even more. The bottom line is this. If we don't as the sportfishing sector start collecting our own data we will get screwed even worse by DFO in the future. Refusing to colllect and provide data on catch stats is NOT the solution it just paves the way for more uninformed, nonsensical decisions by DFO. You're right Kelly, we need to collect and provide this data, then demand DFO use it all and more effectively to make more sound management decisions in the future. Since we collect the data we can do our own analysis and counter what they say to fight fire with fire!

Ok let me understand. We continue to provide the data. DFO manipulates it to **** us in the ***?! Souds fantastic. Now I'm gunna go drive into oncoming traffic. Yeeha!

I feel sorry for the creel surveyors...on one hand we want DFO to collect 'real' numbers but on the other hand I have seen countless anglers outright lie to the surveyors or tell them to "pound sand" (and when I was MUCH yonger I did this for a summer and I can tell you they get treated VERY badly). People can't have it both ways, either cooperate and answer the questions or be happy with "voodoo math".

get used to it.... if fish dont get counted in a cooperative method , we wont be fishing them.
the worst thing is for people to have HOLMES attitude and say they will play by thier own rules....
Accountability is down the line , love it or lose it.

Wow... must a looked like a Floating Boat Show lol...

glad someone benefits from an early opening...

Oak Bay Marine Group Reel Reports

Vancouver Island Overview

Halibut opened for retention on March 1st and local anglers were targeting the big flatfish rather than salmon. A fly over of our local area on Sunday showed approximately 110 boats fishing, but only 5 of them trolling for salmon! There were quite a few caught, with the largest one weighing 90 lbs. Salmon fishing was SLOW for winter springs, primarily due to windy weather and low angler effort. Seals are still a problem for anglers fishing off of Victoria. The seals do not appear to be a problem either west or north of Victoria.

Actually that quote is from the Island Outfitters Weekly Fishing Report. And yes, constance bank looked like a boat show.

I do collect my own personal data ive got records going back 20 years , they have asked for it once told them if they wanted it they ould pay consultant fees for it!!!!!!!! never heard back from them funny that. if soomeone came to you and asked for all your prsonal info would you give it to them no questions asked??? I doubt it.....

WE do not and will not take as much as a commercial fishierman with the rules thay have put forth it just simply cannot be done, 5 years ago we went from 2 a day to possesion of 3 and "apperently" went over by 300,000 lbs or so cant remember now move forward to 1 a day possesion of 2 our day has been reduced by 50% and we "apperently" are still going over with an even shorter fishing season????? and i can tell you the nubers for people going out for 2 to 3 day trips is down from before people just dont want to get banged up for a smaller halibut even when i worked up north for a week maybe 2 guides out of 10 would target halibut not like before they kept saying!!!! so the numbers are WAY down...im not a ROCKET SCIENTIST but math is math!!!!!just another classic case of LIES LIES LIES

IMHO - after reading the dialog between rec-fishermen for any period of time, it becomes painfully-apparent that the most daunting task of all will not be ensuring there are some fish around for our kids, but rather - gaining a common consensus on ANYTHING!

IMHO - after reading the dialog between rec-fishermen for any period of time, it becomes painfully-apparent that the most daunting task of all will not be ensuring there are some fish around for our kids, but rather - gaining a common consensus on ANYTHING!

You got that right Terry :eek::(

I do collect my own personal data ive got records going back 20 years , they have asked for it once told them if they wanted it they ould pay consultant fees for it!!!!!!!! never heard back from them funny that. if soomeone came to you and asked for all your prsonal info would you give it to them no questions asked??? I doubt it.....

WE do not and will not take as much as a commercial fishierman with the rules thay have put forth it just simply cannot be done, 5 years ago we went from 2 a day to possesion of 3 and "apperently" went over by 300,000 lbs or so cant remember now move forward to 1 a day possesion of 2 our day has been reduced by 50% and we "apperently" are still going over with an even shorter fishing season????? and i can tell you the nubers for people going out for 2 to 3 day trips is down from before people just dont want to get banged up for a smaller halibut even when i worked up north for a week maybe 2 guides out of 10 would target halibut not like before they kept saying!!!! so the numbers are WAY down...im not a ROCKET SCIENTIST but math is math!!!!!just another classic case of LIES LIES LIES

That did not address my question at all but just highlighted my points. My beef is that every thread on this board turns into a whine fest about DFO, Commies ect. 95% of these people whining offer no feasible solution, actual facts or understanding. It's no wonder so many members stopped posting. Maybe its just the winter doldrums.

The facts Kelly are that for 25 years we have given accurate data that has seeminly been used against us. Is a creel more accurate than a flyover? maybe, but it is still prorated. I think that many are losing hope based on the countless hours spent with Hatchery work, Stream Rehab, saving fry in the hot sun dried pools., Logbook Program, Creel surveys!

What are yor suggestions on a solution to the problem? So far all we have seen on the South Island is slot limits that cause futher mortality to ET Fraser Chinook. Now with talk of this being in effect throughout the summer...Is that whining Kelly?

Dont get me wrong, I am for Conservation, but not by targeting the low impact user group in area 19/20. The majority of the stocks of concern are netted well before the time they get to NWCVI. The cooperation game has not been working in the 34 years i have been holding a rod, do the math, lets see some facts>>>>

KELLY you dont have to worry about it cause THIS doesnt effect you now does it your areas are not touched. When you have SEEN first hand what has gone on for 30 years then you can comment, The solution is very simple imstead of lieing to us year after year they need to work togther (like they said) only to lie to us again once caught in that lie DAMN hard to trust dont you think!!!! caught them on a few occasions now im a trusting man but when you lie to me and others well simply put go f yourself.

They convinced me twice to do a log book first was up where I worked in knight inlet we were trained to do gill plate samples scale sample and all the records took us forever for 3 months straight handed it all thiking we did a great job RESULT from DFO sorry we didnt do anything with it we didnt process the data (STRIKE 1)

3 years ago did a log book had numorus chats with them in closed door session on the phone etc gave them the data THEY PROMISED US we will consult with you and they other guides regarding the upcoming season!!!!!!! AFTER numorus calls to his office regarding a meeting to discuss the season and data. I was on my way to do an outdoor show and BAM 2 days prior they introduce the summer closure and restrictions for the coming year (THANK YOU VERY FEN MUCH) So where was the consultiaon they promise ohhhh i know they basically said F U to me and all the other fellow guides .
DO YOU SEE A PATTERN YET KELLY?????

Sorry to hack on ya man but you just dont get it

Wolf

I was wondering what factors go into the estimates of the recreational catch and if there are any concrete plans for changes. We should all be interested in the accuracy of catch estimates unless we want to pay for monitoring like the commercials.

Will DFO step up creel surveys at boat ramps in the slower months to accurately represent the low effort and low catch rates?

I would like to suggest some changes to future fishing effort & catch rate estimation that would likely make DFO’s estimates more reliable.

Wind speed
I think that the creel survey and halibut catch estimation process for recreational fishing should include some wind speed data. Having observers at boat ramps and hiring planes to count boats a few times a year is a very costly estimation method and rather than just expand that effort, we should add some different data types. The government and a variety of other institutions collect wind speed data all over the coast. It just makes sense to incorporate this data into the estimates, as fishing effort is directly correlated to ocean conditions. High wind=no fishing. Calm = more fishing. I don’t go fishing unless I am confident my boat can handle the conditions (current and predicted) on BigWaveDave and Windfinder websites. If I do go when it is too windy, I have much lower success rate.

Tides
It’s pretty obvious that much of the recreational effort is centred around the flatter tides and currents every two weeks with certain months showing more promise than others. Is this publicly available data incorporated into the DFO algorithms?

Compensations for what ??? for being able to suck the tit of FREE quota to sell and lease to just being able to suck more and more TIT really......

I have no problem what so ever if a guy WHO owns a boat has quota and REALLY fishes what hes got. I have a problem with someone sitting on there butt never fished and collects millions and the feet of the real hard working class man!!!! simple and easy way to solve it take it all away and give it to the guy who accually fishes if you dont use it you lose it.

Maybe what we should do is this then ask your buddy who doesnt fish lease me you sport fishing lic sign it over to me have a collection of the say 10 of them then we wouldnt have to worry about limits or anything !!!!!!!????? sound familiar............NOT we are canadians why not have the same rights of FN AND commies.....and be abale to abuse the system like it seems everyone else does????

Wolf

Back