110 Boats Counted on Halibut Opening Day South Island

the fog ducker

Wow... must a looked like a Floating Boat Show lol...

glad someone benefits from an early opening...

Oak Bay Marine Group Reel Reports

Vancouver Island Overview

Halibut opened for retention on March 1st and local anglers were targeting the big flatfish rather than salmon. A fly over of our local area on Sunday showed approximately 110 boats fishing, but only 5 of them trolling for salmon! There were quite a few caught, with the largest one weighing 90 lbs. Salmon fishing was SLOW for winter springs, primarily due to windy weather and low angler effort. Seals are still a problem for anglers fishing off of Victoria. The seals do not appear to be a problem either west or north of Victoria.

AND THEN COMES THE NEW LAW Possibly APRIL 1st.

One over 83cm one under .......... just for the record a 83 CM is about a 15 pounder.............. this came from the SFAB ..........

Hardly worth the effort ............ now many will WANT TO KILL THE BIG BREEDER way to go SFAB! you speak for all of us ....... NOT!!

HT

I would like to know how a fly over and does jack $hit about how many halibut were caught VS hiring a few people for all the docks on the south Island(What about 10 marinas and docks) to get "REAL NUMBERS" costs. Just DFO doing another great job managing are resource.

Well there goes 2200 lbs off our tac.... I wounder what the real number was..:rolleyes:

Well I was out for 3 days over the weekend and caught Jack $hit, so I guess I did my part to screw up the numbers. I guess DFO will add 75 lbs or more to there made up numbers and we will be that much closer to a shut down. I wonder if we all just went out for a boat ride with the friends and neighbors and didn't even put a rod in the water, they do there stupid fly over if we would be that much closer to TAC. This fly over $hit is garbage, show me the "REAL NUMBERS".

X2. Nada. One nibble but probably a little of. So far, 0 for 2.

Also what do you expect when the tides are good and people have been waiting for 6 months to go????? And the seminar that people went to, people were excited and were just ITCHING to go. Yes id like to know what the numbers were as well, and what they figure our catch ratio was.......VOODOO math im sure in there minds id bet they thought every boat limited out???? curios to kow was there ANY creel people at the marina??????

Wolf

Funny you say that Roy , at Pedder there has been a guy there everyday rain or shine all winter , come opening weekend of haly they weren't there !! Really wierd . Then Monday morn is blowin 30 knts I'm the only one out and there they are!

They get there numbers by avg the creel surveys then when they do the flyovers they put those avg to the number of boats.

I feel sorry for the creel surveyors...on one hand we want DFO to collect 'real' numbers but on the other hand I have seen countless anglers outright lie to the surveyors or tell them to "pound sand" (and when I was MUCH yonger I did this for a summer and I can tell you they get treated VERY badly). People can't have it both ways, either cooperate and answer the questions or be happy with "voodoo math".

I feel sorry for the creel surveyors...on one hand we want DFO to collect 'real' numbers but on the other hand I have seen countless anglers outright lie to the surveyors or tell them to "pound sand" (and when I was MUCH yonger I did this for a summer and I can tell you they get treated VERY badly). People can't have it both ways, either cooperate and answer the questions or be happy with "voodoo math".

I believe you are right, DFO are using the data be it right or wrong
everybody seems to be on side with an anual limit and catch reporting from licence.
Creel survey is the closest thing we have to actual reporting.

HEY id be the first one to be willing to help in the program but after doing the "log book" and being LIED to and they didnt do what say they were going to, consult with me and the other fellow guides for the upcoming season(2010/2011) it seems they used the data we gave them to PUNISH us look at the tract record....
Its not about the rights of the true sportfisherman/fisherman its about keeping it open for FNand sideing with the commercial fleet as they have accused us in taking to many fish both halibut but more on salmon the whole system is flawed and without true commitment bye DFO saying something to the effect "OF NOT CLOSING OUR FISHERY DOWN" they are and will have a very hard time convicing me and my fellow friends/guides in cooperating with them.

As far as im concerned they are down right DUMB and stupid they dont want to ensure stocks one only has to look at why they want to blow up the Dam on the demanual creek and wipe out that Coho run that so many voulnteers and people have worked so hard on in the last 20 years......just amazing their way of thinking..... simply amazing!!!!!!!!
my rant for the day...

Wolf

The Creel survey can *uck right off!

We are surveyed out, creeled out , logbooked out! The politics involved in fishing JDF is going to be the demise of the area fishery. Many are just plain Sick of It! All we see is further restrictions each season. I know it's easy to assume, but no news is good news and my lips are sealed of any further voluntary data period. The numbers are pro-rated and exagerated far beyond any logical means.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you are right, DFO are using the data be it right or wrong
everybody seems to be on side with an anual limit and catch reporting from licence.
Creel survey is the closest thing we have to actual reporting.

I always talk to the creel guys and tell them what I've got OR don't got on board. I imagine if your tell them to pound sand, they check off a little box that says limited out but denied survey. Similar to how police assume your drunk if you refuse to blow. Seems fair to me. I'd assume the same if I were a creel guy. If "we" are against the fly over, and against the survey, and against logbooks, then what are they supposed to do? I tell you what they do, make assumptions.

DAVE they do that now with the data we have given them the whole thing is f$%^d I spend countless hours along with others doing data for them only to them coming back and saying sorry season down, I know for a fact there was close to 40 days i put in personally but when they did the data on there sheets there was way less they lie and tell us what they want us to listen to dont trust the SOBs

Im confused. People are mad at the fly over voodoo calculations but won't help in creel surveys because they are ***** about getting screwed in the past? I don't see anything productive in that.

Back