10'6 or 11' or 12' g loomis mooching rod?

T

tenacious

Hi,

I am going to Langara lodge to power mooch next week:D

I want to take a new rod with me. Any suggestions on size would be helpful.

Thanks

It depends a lot on which size boat you are going on. So a smaller boat would oubviously be better with a shorter rod. Thats my opinion anyway.

Really good buddy of mine has a 10-6 Gl. Its an outstanding rod as good as my 4110 10-6 Sage. Go with the 10-6 in a small boat and like buddy says if bigger boat go long and for the ride yehaw.
Cheers Fah Cups.

12' may be too long for a small boat. I've got a GL3 1263 and GL2 1265 (both 10'6"). I'd recommend the STR GL2 1265 which is a beefier than the 1263.

Reel? Islander MR3 or MR2?

Stick with the 10'6... the 40+ are starting to come into the area, so you don't want dinkin around with a longer rod in tight with a big fish.

I agree with the 10'6 length

We've run the G.Loomis 1265 rods for years, and can be relied on for big fish action.

Thanks guys! 10' 6" it is.

I am using a TFO single action reel. I have had islander and I don't see much difference.

I agree with your reel choice too... I have an MR3, which is really great, but can't justify the extra $250 over a TFO Terry Haydyn #3

quote:Originally posted by tenacious

Thanks guys! 10' 6" it is.

I am using a TFO single action reel. I have had islander and I don't see much difference.

I have one of the TFO Pacific reels also, very close in appearance
to an Islander.There is a larger cork available in case the reel has
any problem with the drag not holding while trolling.

quote:Originally posted by fah cups

Really good buddy of mine has a 10-6 Gl. Its an outstanding rod as good as my 4110 10-6 Sage. Go with the 10-6 in a small boat and like buddy says if bigger boat go long and for the ride yehaw.
Cheers Fah Cups.
Gee.. Fah cups... I'm back... and the 1266 10-6 GL. with the MR2 attached - (which sits in the corner of my den) - has caught more salmon and is a much better rod then your 4110. I haven't baptized rod or reel yet but I Dream on....

yours in aluminum. 6up

Cheers Fah Cups.
did you 4110 break? The numbers stand for 4 power 11'0". If you did not break it it will most likely be an 11' rod

Go with the 10 1/2. I have the 1265gloomis with a MR3. great combination

Howdy Rin. No, I did not break my Sage. You might be right it could be a 11-0 footer. Rod is sitting in my boat at the marina will measure it this weekend.I built this rod six years ago with Joanne @ Island Outfitters and have built many rods since then. I now fish my sage with a old longstone hardy and have taken some nice springs this year with this combo. Would not trade for any rod except maybe a loomis. Hey 6-up nice to see you quit lurking! when are you going to break in your combo?.Would you like me to break it in for you!!? LoL In aluminum we trust John.
Cheers Fah-Cups

I have two 10 1/2 foot Gl2's with Islander MR2'sand cannot think that anything else would be better. It's got power and sensitivity. As far as I'm concerned, you can't do better, even if price is no object. and as far as fishing is conerned, should price of the rods and reels be an issue?

Howdy Rin. No, I did not break my Sage. You might be right it could be a 11-0 footer. Rod is sitting in my boat at the marina will measure it this weekend.I built this rod six years ago with Joanne @ Island Outfitters and have built many rods since then. I now fish my sage with a old longstone hardy and have taken some nice springs this year with this combo. Would not trade for any rod except maybe a loomis. Hey 6-up nice to see you quit lurking! when are you going to break in your combo?.Would you like me to break it in for you!!? LoL In aluminum we trust John.
Cheers Fah-Cups

Cheers Fah-Cups

fah cups if there is any one I could trust to break it in....
it would be you.. Tight lines...
6up

Back