100 + Tonne of Herring fished off Nanoose

Shut it down for 10 years like they did in the 70s, if you can't find work move to Alberta and stop whining ,Everyone can blame DFO for this and that ,but really in the end it comes down to -know one to blame but our selves -

after dressing thousands of springs in a lifetime commerial trolling needle fish not herring is one that springs cant do without; when herring were scarce in late 60s and early 70s springs were plentiful; its the whole ecosystem that needs looking after not just one factor; herring in the gorge were probally wiped out by herrimg gigs

Shut it down for 10 years like they did in the 70s, if you can't find work move to Alberta and stop whining ,Everyone can blame DFO for this and that ,but really in the end it comes down to -know one to blame but our selves -

There is no reason to shut it down.
why blame DFO for finally doing something right?
yes , we did blame ourselves and DFO and its being fixed and doing well considering.....

I've dressed a lot of Salmon too and make a point of examining the stomach. Usually herring if there is anything in the guts. Of course they are opportunistic and will eat other things such as needle fish when they are available. As for the herring jigs wiping out the herring population in the gorge when I was a kid in the 70's we could catch flounder the size of big dinner plates at the dundarive pier in West Van , I guess it was the gauntlet of hooks coming off that pier that cleaned the Flounders out of Burrard Inlet. Funny thing is when I got older and had access to a boat we never caught another flounder as big as the ones that were in the harbour at that time even though fishing has been banned of that pier for many years. If you never let them get big enough to breed eventually you get rid of them I guess.

Can somene tell me if salmon can tell the difference between a 2 year old and a 6 year old herring?commercial guys are not even touching the stalks,you might want to look at all the nets in the water that our BROTHERS use for selling...OH i mean FOOD.

average age herrings life is 7 or eight years; to get this old it must survive 3 or 4 years of fishing no fishing pressure on young herring except by sporties bait fisherys; local stocks like the gorge migrate out to west coast in summers and back in fall; many reasons they stray and dont come back; mix with large schools and follow the leader

Let's not forget that the herring spawn also provides a vast source of food for young salmon coming out of the rivers and streams. Nature for thousands of years have timed the emergence of these smolts at the same time as the herring spawn. The milk white herring spawns could stretch for miles up and down the island provided tonnes of protein biomas for these smolts to eat. With destruction of habitat and over fishing for both salmon and particularily for herring, especially on the east side of the island there are much fewer big herring spawns like this to feed these young slamon. My father in law has been a streamkeeper for almost 20 years. After restoring over a half dozen streams he says he is about to give up. He says all the $ and effort that goes to restore these streams is wasted as the young smolts just end up starving as there is very little for them to eat. If we want abundant salmon stocks we need to have abundant herring stocks. I realize that there are other factors that impact salmon survival rates, that why we need a multi-faceted approach to restoring wild salmon (i.e. restoring habitat, putting fish farms on land, reducing water pollution, and lower harvesting rates, etc.). When I grew up in Campbell River, no one ever bought frozen bait. If you fished bait you went out and raked some fresh before fishing. When was the last time people regularily did that in CR, or many other places for that matter. We can't continue to allow the overharvesting the foundational food sources in the ocean (e.g. plankton, krill, baitfish and herring, or the whole ecosytem starts to collapse on it self. My 2 bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
when will DFO get it its the food chain STUPID!!! I have been spouting that for years, I still have a hard time wondering why they harvest the start of the food chain ie Krill..

Everyone should understand that DFO ALWAYS prunes the tree from the roots ( and I speak from experience) The krill fishery should be illegal.

Everyone should understand that DFO ALWAYS prunes the tree from the roots ( and I speak from experience) The krill fishery should be illegal.

This is the best way to sum up our situation today I have heard yet.

i suggest talking to someone at the pacific biological station in nanaimo a couple of scientists there have made a career of studying herring stocks in bc ;they have been easy to talk to in the past and might venture a guess as what happened to gorge herring

when will DFO get it its the food chain STUPID!!! I have been spouting that for years, I still have a hard time wondering why they harvest the start of the food chain ie Krill..

Ya... I think i remember hearing that theres actually been a major increase in the allowable catch for krill in our local waters. Pellets to feed the farms... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep those guys are on the water everyday all summer, maybe they can explain why you rarely see Herring Balls out in the Georgia Straits anymore, at the same time. There is lots of Seals out there why not use them for Fish Pellets? Cause there cuter than Herring??

Yep those guys are on the water everyday all summer, maybe they can explain why you rarely see Herring Balls out in the Georgia Straits anymore, at the same time. There is lots of Seals out there why not use them for Fish Pellets? Cause there cuter than Herring??

Grizzly's would be another example of good fish farm good.

Lorne

Back