100 + Tonne of Herring fished off Nanoose

fortyfour

I heard that the herring biomass is unbelievable this year, anyone else heard of this? they had an opening for food and bait for 100 tonne?

I heard that the herring biomass is unbelievable this year, anyone else heard of this? they had an opening for food and bait for 100 tonne?

The Biomass has not increase all that much..I believe the DFO has allow a little flexibility of some of the herring roe fishery quota to be used in the Food bait and fishery this year... :)

I saw a couple of boats anchored in Nanoose Bay a while back and watched the tracks of 3 fish boats in Marine Traffic between Nanoose and Nanaimo. I saw that one of them, the Pender Isle I believe, was in the fisheries herring food and bait notice. I heard that there was a trade off between this fishery and the roe fishery.

This is an exert from a Dec 14 th notice:

An option to shift quota from the roe seine fishery to the Strait of Georgia
(Gulf) food and bait fishery for the 2012/2013 season has been provided. There
will be a limit to the amount of quota that can be shifted out of the roe seine
fishery resulting in a maximum quota of 6,000 short tons for the food and bait
fishery, which means that a maximum of 1,615 tons may be shifted into the food
and bait fishery. All quota shares shifted to the food and bait fishery will be
deducted from the Strait of Georgia (Gulf) roe herring seine fishery target
quota. This will be a voluntary one year selection to be made on the roe
herring seine application form. The final number of licences, including those
that have opted to harvest in the food and bait fishery, ideal distribution and
quotas by gear type will be provided by way of Fishery Notice after the licence
area selection deadline.

Great, Herring show a recovery and open up the gates, thanks DFO. Hey I heard theres more Seals around too maybe we could open up a good old Seal hunt!!
Actually this a fairy well manage fishery over all....

Actually, IN MY OPINION, :eek:this is very much not a very well managed fishery in its current state.

It is currently an absolute sham that is purely politically motivated. It is not based on enough scientific evidence and study. Who the hell am I to be saying this?! Well, I am one guy who picked up the phone and called DFO and asked some direct questions about how they made the decisions last year for the food, bait and roe fisheries.

Early on in the 1 hour conversation: the words 'well, I can't speak to that because I am not a scientist' came across the phone...and yet this person was responsible for managing this fishery. He did not know anything about the lifespan of herring....that they return to spawn in their home region after 4 years and then can return every single year for the next dozen(if we let them live that long). He knew very little about herring, is provided with far to little data to base his decisions on,( in both my and his own opinion) and yet has the incredibly difficult responsibility of managing the stock. Talk about setting someone up for failure! And the herring, salmon, orca, fish, seals, and all else that is built off the herring will pay the price. I feel sorry for this guy who is given very few tools to work with and then expected to make the right call. He admitted that the 100,000 tonne biomass that the stock supposedly stayed at last year despite lots of fishing, was purely estimates....based on very limited data.

So, no this is not a fairly well managed fishery and I am doubting that wish DFO cuts, that any more scientists are studying the herring than before. He basically said that Salmon research gets all the budget. Too bad they don't connect the amount of salmon food with the amount of salmon. It is the epitome of taking now at the expense of future generations.

I approached Roger for permission to do some projects with the Salish Sea Herring Enhancement Society. We have done projects to help herring spawn...in particular trying to have them not spawn on creosote and die. We even took samples of dead eggs in Saanich Inlet on poles to show them how much they should be taking note of this problem, which is widespread in BC. There were billions in that bay alone that died(but still lots on the good stuff!! eel grass, seaweed).

IF DFO wants to allow the commercial sector to harvest so much....then they need to invest in enhancement....otherwise we will be reading about an absolute crash within a few years.

Don't take my word though:

Ask some questions of your own:

A/Herring Resource Manager | Gestionnaire des ressources - hareng
Fisheries and Aquaculture Management | Gestion des pêches et de l'aquaculture
Fisheries and Oceans Canada | Pêches et Océans Canada
roger.kanno@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
604-666-7851 | Facsimile/Télécopieur 604-666-9136
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

Actually, IN MY OPINION, :eek:this is very much not a very well managed fishery in its current state.

It is currently an absolute sham that is purely politically motivated. It is not based on enough scientific evidence and study. Who the hell am I to be saying this?! Well, I am one guy who picked up the phone and called DFO and asked some direct questions about how they made the decisions last year for the food, bait and roe fisheries.

Early on in the 1 hour conversation: the words 'well, I can't speak to that because I am not a scientist' came across the phone...and yet this person was responsible for managing this fishery. He did not know anything about the lifespan of herring....that they return to spawn in their home region after 4 years and then can return every single year for the next dozen(if we let them live that long). He knew very little about herring, is provided with far to little data to base his decisions on,( in both my and his own opinion) and yet has the incredibly difficult responsibility of managing the stock. Talk about setting someone up for failure! And the herring, salmon, orca, fish, seals, and all else that is built off the herring will pay the price. I feel sorry for this guy who is given very few tools to work with and then expected to make the right call. He admitted that the 100,000 tonne biomass that the stock supposedly stayed at last year despite lots of fishing, was purely estimates....based on very limited data.

So, no this is not a fairly well managed fishery and I am doubting that wish DFO cuts, that any more scientists are studying the herring than before. He basically said that Salmon research gets all the budget. Too bad they don't connect the amount of salmon food with the amount of salmon. It is the epitome of taking now at the expense of future generations.

I approached Roger for permission to do some projects with the Salish Sea Herring Enhancement Society. We have done projects to help herring spawn...in particular trying to have them not spawn on creosote and die. We even took samples of dead eggs in Saanich Inlet on poles to show them how much they should be taking note of this problem, which is widespread in BC. There were billions in that bay alone that died(but still lots on the good stuff!! eel grass, seaweed).

IF DFO wants to allow the commercial sector to harvest so much....then they need to invest in enhancement....otherwise we will be reading about an absolute crash within a few years.

Thanks A.P for the post..........
I have heard the same.. another DFO blunder

Is there ever alot of miss information out there.The is a roe survey after the herring spawn every year ,divers go down and see it with their own eyes and everything. This fishery is a very well run fishery and stocks are coming back very strong.120 thousand tonn in the gulf last year and 10 to 12 thousand between bait and roe is not over harvesting.Herring live up to 6 years and move put to west coast and back in as they do have tails .Thebig problem is the central coast where the first nations think they can do as they please and harvest roe on kelp by the tonnes where the fish eggs cant hatch,they getsalted n eaten in Japan. go get your facts on the internet guys as these threads are most comical .

It is WAY more sustainable to harvest eggs that have been layed than catching the fish.....as you are not killing the fish to get the eggs. Herring will return every year after they first mature for the next 8 or so years if they could. Every year they come back larger and lay more eggs each time. There is absolutely no thought about that is the resource management.

That 120,000 tonnes is a totally bogus number. Call the number I provided above and ask how they got to that number and how that number remains constant after harvest.

The roe surveys are being scaled back due to lack of funding. Wish the opposite were true. There was no survey in a lot of areas that were in the past. Saanich inlet had none along with lots of others.

In a lot of areas last year they claimed an abundance of fish, but then there was quota left on the table because the fish were too small to get a lot of eggs out of them...ie, all the big ones have already been taken. It is those older fish that are so important to lead the younger ones back from the coast to their home zone.

There are just as many problems here as everywhere on the coast.

I agree with your assesment as I always wonder why there are no herring to speak of in the Burrard Inlet, Howe Sound area. When I was younger my fellow anglers who fished in the 60's and 70's told me about the Bait Balls where you could put a Landing net in and fill half your Boat. When was the last time anyone saw that around there. Thankfully I do hear of some stock slowly returning.

I look at this in 2 ways...... I believe DFO does manage the harvesting of the herring fishery well, with one of the biggest factors that impacts herring is water temp.... Regarding the habitat for herring and now this year with the cuts in the dept. in assessing herring stocks I would total agree that its going down and has gone down a shaky road that usually leads to not so good results....

I agree with your assesment as I always wonder why there are no herring to speak of in the Burrard Inlet, Howe Sound area.
Lots of Herring in Howe Sound now it's quite the story about bringing them back too busy now to give details maybe later.

It is incredible what the squamish streamkeepers have done to help the herring population in Howe Sound. The results have been phenomenal with life not seen for 30 years returning(pods of HUNDREDS of Pacific White Sided Dolphins, grey whales, etc). There are lots of other community groups in BC now mimicking their actions like my dad and their rotary group in Pender Harbour, a group on Bowen island, a group on Saltspring, us(Salish Sea Herring Enhancement Society) around Victoria, etc. There are lots of people who want to help...but it doesn't work as well without DFO help.

You picked up the phone and got someone at dfo and talked for a hour and now your a expert?
hehehehe,
some of you guys make me laugh.
get some real facts and science before blowing your horn !!!
the roe herring industry is a model of success the past 20 yrs.
Stocks are coming back all over the coast , a small fraction of bio mass is allowed to be fished and then the industry pays to have divers stake out grids in the harvest areas and non harvest areas to see the spawn rates etc.
unfortuantely the economy in japan and the diet there has changed and the market is in the tank.
licenced quota holders now want to develop new markets , eg. salted euro style herring , roll mops , bait herring , food herring , dried herring , pickled herring ,grind it up herring for fish farms etc. it was and still can be a good INDUSTRY and make west coast families a living.

You picked up the phone and got someone at dfo and talked for a hour and now your a expert?
hehehehe,
some of you guys make me laugh.
get some real facts and science before blowing your horn !!!
the roe herring industry is a model of success the past 20 yrs.
Stocks are coming back all over the coast , a small fraction of bio mass is allowed to be fished and then the industry pays to have divers stake out grids in the harvest areas and non harvest areas to see the spawn rates etc.
unfortuantely the economy in japan and the diet there has changed and the market is in the tank.
licenced quota holders now want to develop new markets , eg. salted euro style herring , roll mops , bait herring , food herring , dried herring , pickled herring ,grind it up herring for fish farms etc. it was and still can be a good INDUSTRY and make west coast families a living.

Cpt hook ... could you give us a history lesson on the stock up in the Queen Charlotte Islands? You seem to be plugged in with the industry and could shed some light on whats going on up there. I would sure like to know, from your prospective, what happened to the herring stocks that the salmon need for food.

GLG

0r how about that 1000 ton set in toquart bay and then there has not been another fishery since then in barckley sound

Never claimed to be an expert, just giving MY OPINION. That said, I've read most all of the research out there. If you have more hard to find stuff that sheds a beautiful ray of light, I would love to read it!

Grind it up for fish farm food...that's what we need!

There is far more economic(and social) gain for westcoast families to allow the herring stocks to truly rebound and feed the salmon that depend on it.

If the herring fishery was a model of success we wouldn't be talking about this.

I'll take a few roll mops and maybe a tray or two for fishing..... But herring for fish farm feed.... COME ON MAN!

Back