10' plus Moocher / Downrigger rod recomendations

Samnjoe

Looking to replace a couple of my Lamiglass rods.
Trying to stay under $200.
I want to get away for having cork below the reel.

the new Luhr Jensen rods are 10’6” and have all rubber below the reel. I have a couple of their 9ft rods and love em for the interior. Thinking of picking up a couple of the moochers to give a try.

the new Luhr Jensen rods are 10’6” and have all rubber below the reel. I have a couple of their 9ft rods and love em for the interior. Thinking of picking up a couple of the moochers to give a tr

the new Luhr Jensen rods are 10’6” and have all rubber below the reel. I have a couple of their 9ft rods and love em for the interior. Thinking of picking up a couple of the moochers to give a try.
I picked up one of these last year, It looked and felt great until it broke. Maybe just a bad one? I liked the rubber idea, super durable just a shame the top section where it joins the bottom wasn't up to par.

Bought 4 of these last season and they’re great!!!
Medium light wasn’t available so I grabbed mediumheavy… a bit over 200$ but an unreal rod

Attachments

• A065CC72-A1DD-4602-A41C-F430EFC837C5.jpeg
    A065CC72-A1DD-4602-A41C-F430EFC837C5.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 401F4769-BAA3-446A-B8B8-E81FAFE2D55D.jpeg
    401F4769-BAA3-446A-B8B8-E81FAFE2D55D.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 202
  • BD9A4949-5D05-4C0D-AD07-790954B06E3D.jpeg
    BD9A4949-5D05-4C0D-AD07-790954B06E3D.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 216
I picked up one of these last year, It looked and felt great until it broke. Maybe just a bad one? I liked the rubber idea, super durable just a shame the top section where it joins the bottom wasn't up to par.
Sounds like one of the old stock rods. Apparently they wrapped them to tight and it created a break point. Lots of guys were snapping them when popping off the riggers. I was chatting with one of the reps about them last year. I’ve used my 9fters for over a year with lots of hours on them with zero problems. The New rods have had this problem rectified.

Tried many different rods. These as you said “best rod for the money”.
I had some Older Techniums in medium and were great rods. I treated myself to 4 new medium heavy ones last summer (blue ones). The rods themselves are nice. However the new ones have a foam covered but end that is only foam on the last 1.5” on the rod. When they are in the tube rod holders there is a fair bit of torque on the bottom end of the rod and the but ends all snapped off. It’s because there isn’t anything there for backing inside. I gave up with warranty stuff and glued the foam back in place and put rod wrap on them to finish the summer off. I will only buy rods with solid but ends or caps from now on….live and learn. If you user Striker holders of won’t be an issue. The dealer said they had a lot with the same issue. Just my findings…

Last edited:
Carbon Fiber is durable for the rod grip and for sliding out of the rod holder but is slippery when wet in the rain or wet hands. Don't ask how I found this out.

Carbon Fiber is durable for the rod grip and for sliding out of the rod holder but is slippery when wet in the rain or wet hands. Don't ask how I found this out.

Did you warranty that rod? I talked to a rep today and they did a recall on them. I just picked up a new version of the Luhr Jensen legacy mooching road today. It’s the XT version. Rep said it’s designed with a slower action and fully polished stainless guides. I like it as it’s got more glass in it than the traditional rods so it’s more noodley. I do most of my fishing up in the interior so having a super stiff rod just doesn’t cut it for me. Pretty stoked to give this one a shot

Having cork on the top half of the butt end helps. Or the rubberized upper part. The Okuma and a few others have the combo. Guides I know said getting stuck in the rod holder with cork bottom half was a pain.

Back