Yamaha T9.9 HT not charging

Sir Reel

I have a 2013 Yamaha T9.9 high thrust that is not putting out a charge anymore.
It was working fine. I have it hooked into an ACR along with the main. Main works fine. There is a 10amp fuse in the Yamaha that I swapped with a spare and also metered both. They are ok.
Motor starts and runs fine just no charging output.

Any ideas?

you have a main battery and a house battery? or just one battery. (acr is usually used with 2 or more batteries so assuming you have 2 or more)
you've checked for charging output directly from the wire supplying charging output from the 9.9 before the acr? you are charging one battery with the 9.9 and one with the main engine, and using the acr to supply voltage to both batteries when only one of the engines are running? just trying to figure out how you have things wired up. or maybe your sure it's just not getting charging voltage directly from the 9.9 and can eliminate how the rest of it is wired.... (tested directly at 9.9 outboard.)

Yes I have 2 batteries. House and start. The main is attached to start and the Yamaha kicker to house. Like I said it did work. When the kicker was running the ACR combined batteries and I got a charge going. When the main is running the ACR is combined and both batteries charge. I monitor voltage on my Lowrance GPS. Charge voltage is about 14 volts and then 12.x when not charging.
I have not tested the kicker output with a meter yet so will try that next.

My yammy did the same thing after cleaning all the battery connection,I found it was the quick connection outside wiggled it and pow.This was the same connection when the power trim wouldn't come up.

Not up on the newer motors, but the 80s/90s small motors with charging capability would burn out the rectifier if the motor was run and not hooked to a battery.

My yammy did the same thing after cleaning all the battery connection,I found it was the quick connection outside wiggled it and pow.This was the same connection when the power trim wouldn't come up.
My battery cable(black and red) goes right into the motor. Do you mean a connection inside the cover?

Your engine has a rectifier/regulator. The most you can get out of the charging system is about 8 amps. The biggest problem with the regulator is the heat it generates. Their main advantage is they protect your electronics from voltage spikes in the event of a bad/corroded connection. You can start by making sure all the fuses under the cowl are ok, then make sure your battery connections are clean and bright. If that doesn't "rectify" the situation, it is likely to be either your rectifier/regulator or your lighting coil. The regulator assembly can be easily replaced at home but the lighting coil is under the flywheel and requires special tools. Both can be tested on the engine.

Hey Gungadin. Do you think having the main and kicker running at the same time can cause problems? Had the same setup on my other boat for 10 years and never did.
Fuses are ok and battery connections are clean. Where is the regulator located?
Thanks

I don't have as late a model as yours, but it should be located on the port side of the engine, just near the upper spark plug. It should have four wires c8ming of it and has a set of horizontal fins and two bolts that secure it at 3 and 9 o'clock. No running both engines shoud not cause any problems.

Back