Winds got a bit nasty yesterday

7 in total around Kits Point. One is off this morning...just was looking at the destroyed one in your pic. One got off at the high tide but there is the one on Kits Beach, two on the dog beach, half a hull in front of the maritime museum and two on the rocks between Maritime museum and the boat launch, one being the destroyed one in your pic. There is also another one on Sunset Beach.

As the boats are squatting, who cleans up the mess?

7 in total around Kits Point. One is off this morning...just was looking at the destroyed one in your pic. One got off at the high tide but there is the one on Kits Beach, two on the dog beach, half a hull in front of the maritime museum and two on the rocks between Maritime museum and the boat launch, one being the destroyed one in your pic. There is also another one on Sunset Beach.

As the boats are squatting, who cleans up the mess?

I was wondering the same thing. In the news last week they were talking about the same question on Vancouver Island cause there are several boats that have been on the shore there for a long time and the city wouldn't pay so volunteers ended up cleaning up the mess.

I was wondering the same thing. In the news last week they were talking about the same question on Vancouver Island cause there are several boats that have been on the shore there for a long time and the city wouldn't pay so volunteers ended up cleaning up the mess.

Ya.....not that Mayor Moonbeam would do much if given control of the waters to deal with the squatters but a few months back there had been a boat on the rocks at the north end of the dog beach and a city crew finally removed it. So the feds won't do squat about the boats that have been out there for years...but when the anchors fail it becomes the city's issue.

Having owned my home down on Kits Point for close to 10 years now....there are boats that have been out there equally as long. The pack just keeps increasing....I think I counted almost 50 a few weeks ago while walking the pooch. Although it is largely sailboats, there is a tarped ****** power boat out there now due north of the museum and they just keep coming. Walking around there daily you see the residents coming and going....deep down inside when I see the boats washed up I have a little 'happy clap' inside my head. Of the seven boats washed up....one guy I saw yesterday morning trying to dig his keel out to get afloat at the high which he did as he wasn't there today. Saw people around one of the ones on the dog beach this morning but they may have just been lookers....aside from that the others don't look as though they have been tended to at all. The one still in tact yet submerged on the rocks at the very least is tied off on to the rocks. My concern is the one torn apart from your pic...it's just sitting there. Some of it's contents are on the rocks....if anyone wants a taller plastic black tool box it's sitting there but not tools in it.

It's too bad we can't get a hurricane force easterly with a BIG falling tide to clean out the bay. :p

It's getting so bad now with how many of them there are there. The boat lane in and out of False Creek is getting narrower and narrower because of all of them anchored there. And the ones living on them or spending time on them have to be spewing their sewer there steady. When there is an event around there and boat traffic increases boats get stacked up waiting to go in and out of that little entrance area. With the boats, paddle boaters, kayak's , etc all trying to to in and out of there at the same time those anchored boats are becoming more and more of a nuisance.
Seems like more and more people are taking advantage now too; not just the sail boats. The big green barge anchored there right at the entrance off the dog beach too. Eye sore and obstruction to what should be boating traffic lanes.

I was headed into the Creek this past Sunday and I watched a guy in a 28 footer offshore boat cut the corner and rip past a few of those "squatters" inside the Red Buoy and the VPD Marine squad gave him plenty of lip service. Like WTF.... the mouth of the creek was a gong show for traffic. We were both on morning change over and guests needed to be back on time....being delayed for a bunch of freeloaders clogging navigation channels is f'd. Kinda like bike lanes which by design in certain instances violate traffic laws....what a f'n joke

Are they trying to dig a trench for water hoping to get that boat "HalfmoonII" to float?
From what I could see it's a long involved process consisting of a long line from the top of the mast to a hulk offshore, the excavation, lots of beer & cigarettes, Domino's pizza, incoming tide and a zodiac to power the lot-the zodiac had yet to make an appearance though.

From what I could see it's a long involved process consisting of a long line from the top of the mast to a hulk offshore, the excavation, lots of beer & cigarettes, Domino's pizza, incoming tide and a zodiac to power the lot-the zodiac had yet to make an appearance though.

Yup....minus the beer, smokes and za...a guy was digging his out from the small beach by the Maritime Museum yesterday and it obviously worked. Think his boat is tethered to another sailboat just out from that beach.

Agreed about junky anbandoned boats but a few around represent a fraction of the cost to you in real terms of environmental damage relative to a few minutes of hard rainfall and what washes into the waterfront from lawn pesticides, dog crap, oil and toxins on roads, factories etc. I am all for clean up but not a blanket witch hunt or less advantaged folks.

You got to start somewhere. Pesticides are banned in most municipalities now. Most responsible dog owners pick up after their dogs and the irresponsible ones can be fined if caught. Seems though that a very visible minority of live aboards have a " screw the man mentality, rules are for others"

If we try to justify not doing anything until we can do everything, nothing will ever get done. Anyway ,I believe that the people who abandon boats with no thought for the enviroment, are the same ones who would also be OK with using pesticides, driving oil leaking vehicles and letting the dog crap sit where it falls

One of the two is off the dog beach this morning. Other one looks as though it will be a cleanup. There are some charts floating with this one if anyone needs some. :p

IMG_20170527_064650.jpg

Back