Why are jets banned on the Gold?

Fishmyster

What is the REAL reason that jet boats are banned on the Gold and Salmon rivers? I've heard many of the exaggerated stories and dastardly tails that have been floating through out the angling community over the years but I've never actually heard "from the horses mouth" a justifiable reason why. Does anybody know?
Over the years many regulations have been erected to target certain users and their preferred angling practices. No power boats, bait banns, closed areas and fly only are all regulations that have been made in the name of conservation. Have these regs. benefited the fish stocks? How have these numerous regs. effected the local economies? Lastly how did these regulations get proposed and approved?
Just giving the pot a little stir.

Hey Myster thats funny i was just thinking about that pool on the lower Gold that the jets would run up to and pound fish all day. Just below the falls i think ?? What was the name of that spot again..

That was the Circus hole. Both jet boaters and shore anglers pounded on steel for many years there along with the rest of the river. Now that hole and for periods of time most of the river is closed to angling. MOE has closed these areas out of the goodness of their hearts to protect the fish. This is the claim to reasoning anyway. It does'nt seem to be improoving the fish stocks or benefitting the local economy though. It sounds like the village is now void of any noticable angling efort. The result of our tax dollars being used to manage our resource.

My info was that a bunch of chronic crybabies from Campbell River aka the local chapter of The Steelhead Society moaned/bitched/crabbed to DFO until it was closed-all because jet boaters were catching too many fish.

So now the jet boats are gone and so are the Steelhead, I wonder if they feel as useless and stupid as they look.

Oopss!!

The local chapter of the Steelhead Society is gone too!

billreidsalmon.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

My info was that a bunch of chronic crybabies from Campbell River aka the local chapter of The Steelhead Society moaned/bitched/crabbed to DFO until it was closed-all because jet boaters were catching too many fish.

So now the jet boats are gone and so are the Steelhead, I wonder if they feel as useless and stupid as they look.

Oopss!!

The local chapter of the Steelhead Society is gone too!

billreidsalmon.jpg
Yup, you hit the nail on the head there.I went on a few jetboat trips on the Gold up to the circus hole,the champane run etc.There was alot of hostility towards us from the bank maggots at that time.

i always assumed most steelheaders would love to see rivers jet boat free. they create a unequal opportunity fishery, without jetboats it doesnt matter how much money u have, u still have to find the spots like everyone else. in my opinion it really kills the expereince of steelheading when im on the river and a jet boat roars by. i have a totally different veiw of driftboaters because when they are at a spot u want to fish, u can just come back later and they will be gone. my dad took me on a jet boat trip on the stamp 1o years ago, and we caught lots of fish, but it wasn't REAL steelheading. thats just my opinion

quote:Originally posted by youngsteelheader

i always assumed most steelheaders would love to see rivers jet boat free. they create a unequal opportunity fishery, without jetboats it doesnt matter how much money u have, u still have to find the spots like everyone else. in my opinion it really kills the expereince of steelheading when im on the river and a jet boat roars by. i have a totally different veiw of driftboaters because when they are at a spot u want to fish, u can just come back later and they will be gone. my dad took me on a jet boat trip on the stamp 1o years ago, and we caught lots of fish, but it wasn't REAL steelheading. thats just my opinion

Totally agree :D

quote:Originally posted by youngsteelheader

Rafts are expensive too, shoud they be banned? Powerboats also allow you to access alot of water that you can't walk into or get to in a raft.

Hey young steelheader!!!....i dont want to start sum ****(too late) u should try walking a river with sum of the jetboaters on here and see you will get your butt handed too you!!!

quote:Originally posted by Fish-Rite

Hey young steelheader!!!....i dont want to start sum ****(too late) u should try walking a river with sum of the jetboaters on here and see you will get your butt handed too you!!!

Try keeping up with the fishmyster. Your feet will hurt.

H-core...exactly my point!!i dont wanns *** on here and brag like sum???......i work out hard everyday and run ALOT!!...Good luck keeping up with Myster on a remote river!,,,This will be the year i beat him i know it!!!hahaha

how fit u r was not the point i was addressing or in anyway your credibility of being a good fisherman i was only stating my opinion on jet boats. doenst it take away from the beauty of a river when u bushwack to a spot where no other fisherman are and while your sitting there tying up your gear and enjoying the sounds of nature, and u hear the roar of a jet boat. then before you are even tied up they are pounding the water with three rods...

Unless you are the one in the jet boat:D

Sometimes I feel bad pulling up into water where a guy has hiked in. Then I just laugh and make a cast. With all three rods.

....Kidding. I never set up shop in front of a guy on shore. I know the work it took for him to get there. Was a banky myself. I usually pass on the spot and get back to it later in the day if I remember.Problem is though that on a river like the Stamp there is a bank fisherman every 5' it seems. No where to actually get some fishing in if I am always concerned about dropping the anchor in front of a guy. Even though I am in the boat I need to fish as well. Wish the guys on shore would move around too.

I have to admit I hate the sound of the jets in the disatnce as well.

OK "hate" is a strong word. Rather I dislike the sound even though I too use a jet. So there yah go.

Simple solution....If u hate jet boats and the "roar" of there quiet 4 stroke jets, don't fish the Stamp. Probably one of the only flows on VI where u will ever see them. The stamp isn't a private secluded pristine river to fish. It's a mass commercial hatchery production at work, it never will be quiet out of the way gem that u'll have all to urself. If u want that experience that easy, hit a wcvi remote stream. There's a ton that hold good #'s of both summer and winter run fish. There "wild" and superior fish, why even bother with the stamp? Ur too good for it anyways.;)....move along:D

Pass the Pack

Originally posted by Roe Bags

Simple solution....If u hate jet boats and the "roar" of there quiet 4 stroke jets, don't fish the Stamp. Probably one of the only flows on VI where u will ever see them. The stamp isn't a private secluded pristine river to fish. It's a mass commercial hatchery production at work, it never will be quiet out of the way gem that u'll have all to urself. If u want that experience that easy, hit a wcvi remote stream. There's a ton that hold good #'s of both summer and winter run fish. There "wild" and superior fish, why even bother with the stamp? Ur too good for it anyways.;)....move along:D

Not sure if that was directed at me but......Never too good;) I fish the Stamp alot. ......because of the jet. It's easy and theres no friggen around at the end of the day.
The four strokes are quiet, it's the water displacement from the nozzle thats loud. Sound like a tractor pull most days on the Stamp.

Hey Bags, you have an in on some of those Gems ( WCVI ) always up for some descent reports.[:p]

HL

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Unless you are the one in the jet boat:D

Sometimes I feel bad pulling up into water where a guy has hiked in. Then I just laugh and make a cast. With all three rods.

....Kidding. I never set up shop in front of a guy on shore. I know the work it took for him to get there. Was a banky myself. I usually pass on the spot and get back to it later in the day if I remember.Problem is though that on a river like the Stamp there is a bank fisherman every 5' it seems. No where to actually get some fishing in if I am always concerned about dropping the anchor in front of a guy. Even though I am in the boat I need to fish as well. Wish the guys on shore would move around too.

I have to admit I hate the sound of the jets in the disatnce as well.

OK "hate" is a strong word. Rather I dislike the sound even though I too use a jet. So there yah go.

Fixed it[B)]

Back