When they say you don't have to bleed right away

ILHG

Crew Member
hey guys I know this has been talked about on numerous occasions. But I want to show the importance of bleeding fish proper and treating them with the respect they deserve.

While in a trip with a guide he insisted to let him bleed the fish because he didn't want blood all over. When I questioned him numerous times about a fish that was bonked and thrown in the box that still needed bleed he would say, "it dose t need done right away".. after a couple fish I couldn't take it anymore and just bleed my own after catching them. (And always cleaned up)

The attached pics are proof of the importance of bleeding fish proper. I know some may object but I won't even bonk my fish before bleeding. I want that heart to be as strong as possible to pump every drop out. This is the way every pig and cow you eat is done.

It's a shame that such a beautiful fish was not treated the way it should have been....

Attachments

• IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 498
I hope you didn't tip him----He ruined your fish. I'd eat those quick---blood oxidizes quickly in a freezer and the lipids turn to acetyl alcohol

Pretty simple exercise to string a piece of cord through their gills, hang them over the side, then slit their throats. IF a guide doesn't let you do that, you're on the wrong boat

The heart of a fish has to be pumping for it to maximize bleeding. Bleeding extends shelf life and quality. Bonking does not stop the heart. Bonk and bleed. No waiting however I am somewhat sceptical of bleeding fish in the river for biological reasons.
Not bleeding a fish does not render it wasted tho.

Bleed immediately. No ifs ands or buts for me. Hearts still beating so quick bleed in my opinion is imperative. Get it out while the fish is helping.

Chistoff you will eat anything....LOL

Try "Pressure Bleeding Alaska Style". Great YouTube video on this technique. I was shown how to do this a few years ago, and it works great. Removes all the blood in a few seconds. I also recommend icing the fish down immediately. Makes for a great quality product.
Good fishing
Stosh

That pressure bleeding is super interesting...do you think that they are using freshwater or saltwater? Would that make a difference?

I've done it with my washdown hose and a fitting I made up for it. It is seawater. don't think it really matters if fresh or salt water.

Another question, if you bleed them on the boat as per usual, would you get more blood by pressure bleeding them at the fish cleaning station later in the day or by then is it too late?

I always cut the gills and place them head down into a bucket of water. No mess in the boat that way. When I fillet them there is not one drop of blood in the meat
When you are at the cleaning station you can notice the fillets if they have not been bled. They are loaded with blood...really gross

The pressure washing approach looks both labor intensive and requires removing the head---leaving the head on gives a nice pocket to stuff with salt ice; also, cutting it off exposes collar meat which I'd rather do once I got the fish home and ready for either eating or freezing/vac-packing

I commercially trolled for springs. Our fish were cleaned, then belly-iced down in the hold of the boat for 6 to 10 days, then flown to Paris for the "white table cloth" market.

The skipper taught me to remove the gills and the guts, scrape out the blood line as soon as the spring hit the deck, then with tips of fingers, massage the residual blood in the veins running up the sides of the belly meat down into the blood line. Repeat the scrape and give them a final wash. If you do this immediately (before the blood starts to coagulate) you get the exact same effect as "pressure washing" in approx 1/3 the time

Another question, if you bleed them on the boat as per usual, would you get more blood by pressure bleeding them at the fish cleaning station later in the day or by then is it too late?
Video I watched said you need the entrails intact for backpressure.
So just clean out the old Roundup sprayer good?

I know I may seem a bit slow vet the top for some but I don't like a drop of blood in my meat. I am super picky about it & take huge pride in feeding my family what I harvest.

It's amazing how much more blood you get out of a Halibut when you cut the tail bone. I did it for the first time this year & it was spraying everywhere. Next time I know to do it in the water.

when I went to Naden lodge they would pressure bleed the fish at the table before dropping fish off to be processed. After the head & find where removed they would pressure bleed & it's amazing the blood that came out of every removed fin. I can tell you it was the best meat I have ever had.

I like hearing how everyone dose it. So much to learn.

If there are six Gills or Blues around bleeding fish is not a good idea. I know someone who harpooned a 90 plus pound Hali and had few 6' Blues eat half of it before they got it back to the boat....similarly bite bleeding pinks off the lines....or stringing them alongside is asking for a Harbour Seal or Sea Lions to chow down on them.

Put 'em in the wells after bonkin and cut gills.... toss in a couple of buckets of water and pump out after a few mins... DONE!

I don't remove the head when I pressure bleed. I remove the gills, cut a v at the back of the throats to expose the main artery, and insert a narrow tube, or anything that fits. I actually use the end of a plastic pen, inserted into a plastic gardenia (quick release garden hose fitting). This gives me the ability to control the water pressure. You don't need too much pressure, otherwise you might get blood shooting at your face (personal experience).
Stosh

Back