WCVI Fisheries under attack - a Head's Up!

IronNoggin

Yes, just a head's up for now, but likely a call to arms for support to follow soon.

This week, the local SFAB will meet with DFO to discuss the proposed new rockfish conservation areas (RCA's) off the west coast of Vancouver Island. The topic has become somewhat more than controversial of late.

Those that know me are completely aware that I am in full support of scientifically-based conservation regimes, and that I always place my concern for the resource above and beyond all other considerations. In this particular case, I cannot see my way to condone what is being proposed, as it is indeed NOT based on science, rather a nefarious back-door attack on the very areas I frequent for a lot of my saltwater forays (and likely many here as well).

Parks Canada has determined that the RCA's are an effective mechanism to shut down ALL fin-fish fisheries in some areas adjacent to the Pacific Rim National Park. THEY have proposed MAJOR expansions to the current closure in the Broken Island Group (see: http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/co...abitat/WC_1.htm and for a list of allowable activities within RCA's: http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/co..._fishing_e.htm)
These proposed closures, if adopted, will spell an end to fishing in a fair amount of Barkely Sound, and specifically the areas of Swale & Sail Rocks, Meare's Bluff, Cree/Austin Islands, etc. The current existing boundaries were developed in consultation with fishers, guides, and lodge operators cooperatively with DFO, and afford the area's rockfish a reasonably large sanctuary from exploitation, something that I, amongst many, fully support. Given that the vast majority of sportsfishing in the proposed enlargement area is focused on salmon fishing (very few focus at all on bottom fish in these areas) a simple rockfish retention closure in the expansion area appears to be a much more realistic way to go. Parks Canada, in their wisdom, have to date refused to meet with the SFAB in conjunction with the Department, and at this point it looks like they'll not be attending this week's meeting on the matter yet again. They have become entrenched in their position of lofty conservation ideology, and many suspect the very real possibility that the end intent is to close ALL fin-fish fishing adjacent to their onshore holdings, a reach that runs from Port Renfrew through Tofino! (Something Parks does NOT deny) This would indeed spell the death knell to many of the small communities, a host of folks who rely directly on the sports industry for a living, and of course an end to the wonderfull experiences that WCVI fishing offers.

The back-door approach I am not suprised at, having dealt with this Ministry on several controversial issues in the North. It seems that when THEY want something, it simply doesn't matter who they knock over on their way towards realizing their target. In this case, the application of regulation is being misrepresented (MHO) and misapplied in a directed and focused drive to further Park's protectionist agenda. Note that Parks has NOT asked for any meaningful consultation on this matter, and basically slid it under the door with no announcements, no requests for input, and are now standing firm on their position in this regard.

As stated above, I am in FULL support of conservation regimes when they adhere to the principles of science. When not, and they are simply to further a body's ideological protectionist agenda, I take offense.

Also as noted, this post is simply a head's up for now. There is a comments section on the above noted link, and the proposed changes for coast as a whole can be found here: http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/co...l_2004/home.htm (Sorry for the looong links - dunno how to do that shorter version). I would encourage anyone who fishes (or wants to) the West Coast of Vancouver Island to take a hard look, and consider sending in a comment in this regard. Please note that the Department is NOT the proponent in this case, and comments should be kept to a polite and focused nature, rather than a vent.

Stay tuned. I'll be reporting back on this following this week's meeting (IF they let me in the door that is). Likely with more advice on just who to send any related concerns towards.

Concerned,
Nog

This is a follow-up to the post I made just the other day regarding Parks Canada's attempted shutdown of some West Coast Vancouver Island fisheries (see: http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=14249 ) I just this moment returned from the meeting between the SFAB and the Department, and thought this was now deserving of a second post, as many will have read the first, and might therefore miss this report.

The DFO representatives were candid, genuine in their presentation in this regard. They are concerned, for a myriad of reasons. It seems Parks dropped this bombshell on them, basically unannounced. The SFAB (which I just rejoined BTW) voiced numerous concerns, these I will present here:
- The current Rockfish Conservation Areas (RCA's) were developed in implicit and meaningfull consultation with stakeholders, designed to provide sanctuary from human interference with a slow maturing and fragile stock. The IMPOSITION of expanded no fishing areas without related consultation will dramatically increase public resistance to the process as a whole, as stakeholders will get the perception of being dictated to, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the RCA program as a whole. DFO would be viewed once again as having been given an inch, only to wrest out a mile.
- The current RCA's in the area in question are large in size, providing local protection in excess of overall WCVI targets of twenty percent.
- The expansion areas include some of the most heavily utilized areas for salmon fishing on the entire West Caost, and would have serious negaitive effects on the fishery and local economics as a consequence.
- The move by Parks is viewed as an underhanded way to introduce an eventual ecological reserve within which harvest of any marine organisms would be strictly forbidden (admitted to by Parks to DFO).
- Further, this first step is viewed as just that, the initial stage establishing the trend for further and expanding such area closures, including Cape Beale, points south to Renfrew (off all of the West Coast Trail), and eventually all waters off the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve (again admitted, albiet under reported duress, by Parks). If realized this would spell an end to nearly all inshore fisheries from Port Renfrew through to Tofino.
- That Parks is blatently misusing the RCA program in order to further their own protectionist agenda without having to conduct meaningfull public consultations, as will likely eventually be forthcoming under the Parks Act (should we be successfull in aborting this initial attempt).

For these reasons, the SFAB voted unaminously to reject the current Parks proposal, and provided DFO with a resolution to that effect. It should further be noted that Parks Canada was conspicuosly absent from this meeting.

Now is where YOU can help. Even if you personally never plan to fish the west coast, the arrogant behaviour by Parks is an affront. It takes away what is currently yours, and completely ignores any thoughts or concerns you might have in that regard. If you do fish the west coast, or plan on doing so, the need for your help is even more pressing, as the option of doing so hangs in the balance!

I provided a link in the initial post in this regard, and now do so again: http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/co...abitat/WC_1.htm That page incorporates a comments section for you to voice your concerns. Although weight will be given to those with appropriate affiliates (local SFAB's, Regional Districts, City Councils, mayors, etc) each and every comment helps. The numbers DO make a difference. In my original post, I noted it was just a heads up, and suggested this might be worthy of your time to comment. This time, I implore each and every one of you to let Parks Canada know we are not in agreement with their underhanded dictation of what we are allowed to do on OUR coastal waters. Rest assured, this matter will come up again, round two will see them attempting the same thing, but under the terms of their own Act, they will be forced to ask for public concern. Again, we will take the fight to them, a LOT is at stake. For now, PLEASE take a moment of your time to let them know their actions are WRONG! For those who've already commented and feel strongly in this matter, I further suggest you might want to consider contacting your MLA and the Fisheries Minister. Again, lets keep the comments civil here, rants will of course be hastily discarded.

To those that previously commented and noted that I thank you. It is sincerely appreciated!!!

Now more than concerned, downright PO'd!
Nog

Noggin,

I tried to go to the comments page and the "long link" wasn't long enough. It still has parts missing. When I click on your link I get nothing.

Please put up the whole link and I'll be happy to voice my opinion.

Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Back