Twin engines

scott craven

Is there any power/speed differential when running twins
to the comparable horsepower single engine ?
(i.e. running 2- 75hp motors as compared to single 150hp)

Just curious ;)

don't claim to be an expert on this but when I got my podded Orca new-2003 I put on a 225Yammi and a 9.9 kicker-The exact same boat went out of Port boat house with twin 115 hp yammi's and the owner of Port Boat house said they didn't get the same performance out of them that the single produced in fact I believe it was switched to a 225 single although I am not positive on that. My guess is increased drag from 2 legs in the water-more disturbed water around the props etc. etc. I'm sure somebody will have the straight goods on this.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Is there any power/speed differential when running twins
to the comparable horsepower single engine ?
(i.e. running 2- 75hp motors as compared to single 150hp)

Just curious ;)
Yes... there is, but not enough to make a difference!
There is a "little" more efficiency in the twins.

But, I do admit… The only "real" reason I decided on twins was I do a “lot” of offshore and it is a more purely a comfort factor.

theres not a huge difference for the same hp, although twins will probably give better performance - more prop in the water, torque, displacemnt etc.

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

theres not a huge difference for the same hp, although twins will probably give better performance - more prop in the water, torque, displacemnt etc.

i am also refering this too larger engines (twin 150 and up) small engines less so.

I was looking at set-ups recently and was told twins get more low end power, which seems right, but a single will have a higher top speed and burns a little less gas.

If you compare between a Mercury 300 XXL Verado and Twin 150
Gear ratio on the 300 is 1.75:1 w/ prop 15x15 enertia
Gear ratio on the 150’s is 2.08:1 w/ prop 14 ½ X17 enertia

The 300 has a test weight of 6738 lbs and the twin 150s has a test weight of 7301 lbs.

At WOT (6300) rpm the 300 burns 30.0 gph while the twins (6250) rpm burns 30.1 gph. Top speed being 43.0 mph versus 45.0 respectfully. The difference in gear ratio, weight, and torque, is basically offset by efficiency, which one really won’t notice, except in the initial cost.

Case in point… look at a “hydro planes”, their choice is a single engine simply as maintenance costs due not offset the performance and costs of twins! And, of course they aren’t concerned in being “dead in the water” 20 miles offshore… their only concern is speed and stability!

It is more of a comfort factor than any performance issue!:)

smaller engines do not have more torque than a big engine - theres 2 engines which dont have to work as hard individually to get the boat up and going = longer engine life.

i think it comes down to, 300hp at the prop is 300hp at the prop - but displacement and torque will be different.

300hp vs 2x 150's. With twins in this application, you will burn more fuel with twins because of more drag. However, you have the benefit of having a back up motor plus twice the battery charging capacity.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

At WOT (6300) rpm the 300 burns 30.0 gph while the twins @ WOT 6250) rpm burns 30.1 gph. Top speed being 43.0 mph versus 45.0 respectfully.

Yep, I am confussed... WTF are you talking about? 50 rpm, .1 gph, or 2 mph?

Charlie brought up the one thing that I wonder about in the single verus twins debate and that is the weight issue. (mind you the numbers he mentioned 6738 POUNDS versus 7301 POUNDS must include the weight of a boat)
But in general what is the weight difference between single versus twin engines? Obviously it varies from engine to engine but weight plays a huge issue in fuel consumption. I bet in the end it is pretty much a wash in terms of fuel economy.
Pros for twins: safety if 1 motor craps out
Cons: twice the maintenance and repairs

quote:Originally posted by daddystoy

Charlie brought up the one thing that I wonder about in the single verus twins debate and that is the weight issue. (mind you the numbers he mentioned 6738 POUNDS versus 7301 POUNDS must include the weight of a boat)

But in general what is the weight difference between single versus twin engines? Obviously it varies from engine to engine but weight plays a huge issue in fuel consumption. I bet in the end it is pretty much a wash in terms of fuel economy.
Pros for twins: safety if 1 motor craps out
Cons: twice the maintenance and repairs
Yep, you are correct! Just subtract 6738 from 7301 and you have your answer for any "VERADO" at that size the engines specs will be as Mercury states! With Boston Whaler you can look on their performance tests and take that information to the bank... It will be right on the money... same with Mercury and Yamaha! I personally don't know about the others, but they will probably be just as acurate?

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

WOT is one thing, but, who runs their engines at WOT?
IFL? You are kidding, right? :)
I thought you were a mechanic? :(
You should know the answers to that question, shouldn’t you? :(

You should also know "most" "marine" outboard engines were actually designed to run WOT! Notice I said "most" and "designed"! I will agree with you and everyone else concerning running WOT, before anyone even makes a comment, as "all" manufacturers did NOT design their engines for WOT (ie Cummings diesel) does have time limits on WOT, but their marine engines are mostly converted truck engines and have different load ratings and weren't designed for it either!

While I do run WOT for short periods of time, I am just like everyone else and don't recommend it?

Here this is just for you! You can compare for yourself! To get an acurate comparison you have to compare speed verus burn rate! [:0]

250OR_EnginePerf__Page_1.jpg

250OR_EnginePerf__Page_2.jpg

250OR_EnginePerf__Page_3.jpg

250OR_EnginePerf__Page_4.jpg

250OR_EnginePerf__Page_5.jpg

quote:Originally posted by kelly

So basically your beaking IFL for asking who runs at WOT then saying ya i wouldnt run at WOT either...
No basically I am “breaking” on IFL for trying to “break” on me? Which is what and the way I took the "who runs at WOT" comment? And, as a “mechanic” it is very hard to believe he doesn’t either know or understand perforance charts. Or, the fact most outboards are designed to run WOT. Or, that your largest fuel consuption is at WOT, it only gets better from there. So, why even bring a comment like that up, not knowing or understanding how the "four forces" are relating?

Simply stating, "you will burn more fuel with twins because of more drag" is so incorrect! There is a lot more to it than drag and anyone familiar with "Four Forces" knows that. Without getting into a further long drawn out and radical debate, I chose to just post and let the performance charts speak for themselves! That is a lot easier than trying to debate the “Four Forces”, being - Lift, Thrust, Weight, and Drag, or explaing the ”Concept of Energy” and how they relate to the total "Aerodynamic Force" of an object. If one wants to learn of these, I suggest they either start doing a lot of reading, or do as I did… go to school! Yep, posting the performance charts was a lot easier! :D

Concerning WOT, there are several reasons I "usually" prefer not to run WOT. The main reason being is - fuel consuption. I do at times, especially when I want to clean the bottom off, works great! None of these reasons are due to the engines not being designed for it! There are actually a "lot" of engines designed for WOT, along with most motors. Why do people still change the oil in a car every 3000 miles, when most manufactures now recomnend 6000 miles? Same thought process! Sometimes we do and believe things simply because that is how we were taught and have always done it... Not because it is the correct or preferred way? This applies to a lot of us old farts. You will even find when you get out of school things you are now learning will be outdated and/or no longer apply. This will happen even prior to your graduation! :)

That's alright talking about ..."old thought processes" and “four forces”, especially the “Coefficient of Drag” and verses efficiency - you really want me to rock everyone's "old thought process" boat?

A Yamaha 9.9 @ 6000 rpm burns 3.9 Liters = 1.030271 Gallons (approx)
A Yamaha F115 EFI burns 0.5 @ 700, 4.0 @ 3500, 9.0 @ 5800

So if you are idling a F115 @ 700 rpm and have to run the 9.9 WOT, the 9.9 will be burning approximately 1/2 GPH "more" fuel. Running the 9.9 @ 3000 rpm your burn rate is approximately the same. Now throw in your - Lift, Thrust, Weight, and Drag elements, especially weight and drag - and please explain to me why one would have a "kicker and how much fuel one can be saving by spending that $3000+ for a "kicker" and hanging that additional weight on the stern? I can explain why I don't - I don't need one, as my twins idle down to my trolling speeds - just fine... and I am not concerned about hours on my engines, or needing a "kicker" for back-up! And btw... the kicker will probably "not" charge your batteries as they only put out approx 10 amps charge and most boats trolling with two downriggers use that, if not more! :D:D

The main reason I run twin 225's is that they don't make a single 450!!!

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Charlie, Anyone can surf around the net and copy and paste info. Im telling you this, Ive been a mechanic and a guide for 20 years now and when I post something its from experience. I never surf the net to do my homework before making a post. I know you dont know me and of course I dont blame you for questioning me.. I dont believe everything I read on the net either. Ill admit, Im not as good a guide as most of the guys I work with, but I think Im a pretty decent mechanic.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Back