Tug Tow Line

seascene

Crew Member
Southbound entrance to Welcome Passage a tug was near stationary hugging S Thormanby Isl his load against opposite shore with tow line near full across the channel. His log load was virtually blending into the shoreline, his boat appeared anchored or moored but actually was barely moving against the current. Three boats including myself nearly crossed his boom line but for chance last second awareness. There was no vhf warning from the tug... no flapping flag on the log boom...no warning flare at boats approaching this close call crossing of the tow line ...nothing. Be careful out there.

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a tickin' bomb. I'd call it to the coast guard on vhf 16.

Sounds a little odd. Was the tug southbound???

They don't need a flag on the tow or flares to get your attention in that situation.

With decent tides like we are experiencing, log towers can struggle to get through plces like Welcome Pass.

Surprised a call wasn't made on VHF if you were close to going between the tug and tow.

Tugs are supposed to use mast lights to indicate what their tow is & other vessel operators are supposed to be aware of what the different codes mean. Your bad on this one.

Tugs are supposed to use mast lights to indicate what their tow is & other vessel operators are supposed to be aware of what the different codes mean. Your bad on this one.
You know what, I was tempted to say a few things about this one, but as hambone said, it sounds a little odd. Clearly seascene is a bit confused as to what is required from other vessels out there, but there is way too much information missing here for someone who wasn't there to pontificate.

Back