To Stack Rods on a Downrigger ... or not??

anorthernhunter

Question for you pro's and semi pro's ...

Do you stack 2 rods on each side of your boat when using your downrigger and risk a tangle when the fish hit
or do you just run one on each side ... covering less water (than 4 rods) but risk few tangles?

I see some stacked with a high back line - for a total of 5 rods.

Thoughts?

-Northern

I stack...unless fishing super shallow

I stacked rods for years till I added a third downrigger. just keep the lines short off your downrigger clips and very rarely will they tangle. Bring the other line up on the downrigger than unclip. Most times we just left it down and kept trolling, If it's a good size fish you have lots of time to bring it up anyway.

Stacking does obviously allow you to cover different depths. I have done it, never had a tangle. I generally keep a spread of 20ft. Practice, Practice, Practice. I like using either a smaller flasher on the upper rod, or just go naked.
Good fishing,
Stosh

Not for springs ever. I use 3 riggers and 3 rods. I can cover depths with those. I want to have a chance to get all my gear on board and stop the boat to allow my guests to play the fish, not the boat. Having more gear to clear means risking tangles or never getting the boat stopped for not having the time to get everything on board. Sockeye and Coho fishing a definite yes. The more gear the better for Sockeye. I've had 6 sockeye on at the same time and went from 2 fish in the hold to 8 in 10 minutes. I try to get 2 sockeye for each guest as fast as i can and then switch back over to spring fishing for the duration. I'll run 4 lines when Coho fishing is slow or trying to find a depth out on the tidelines.
Also when I'm fishing in water less than 40 feet deep I will only fish 2 riggers and rods...I find 3 might be to much gear to close to each other maybe spooking the fish and I hit more fish with just 2 sets of gear in the water.

I used to do it all the time with VERY good success for many many years, best thing to do is on bottom rod set gear out say 30 ft from boat set it down 20 ft(on rigger) then get ready for top rod set gear back only 20 ft then go down to depth say 80 ft . now repeat on other side and then go to 70 ft now you have gear at 80,70,60,50 , or you can vary it to whatever depths you want and spread.
reason why bottom depth are out further than top as when you get a hit and it come up the top will sometimes not get tangled . NOT all the time but it will happen, best thing to do if you see bottom rd getting hit guickly pop top rod and pass to your buddy to get out of way as he should be clearing the gear anyways ....

have fun

Good Luck Wolf

Have been stacking for 25 years now.

Key is a 20 ft + spacing. One side is offset from the other by 20 feet. Thus, 90, 70, / 80, 60. You have to have a steady bottom so you do not get a surprise.

On a hit, invariably the fish goes sideways, and takes out line, meaning little risk of a tangle. One guy fights the fish, other guy pulls gear.

Pop the second rod off the release clip, and the line goes to the surface because of drag on the flasher, and hit the button on the down rigger. The line stops have to be set at least 8 feet above the first stacking clip. Reach over and take off the stacking clip and hit the button again. The second line stop will be set 8 feet about the ball, and again, pull off the clip and pull in the ball. Bring in the loose line and put it aside and start on the other side.

The whole affair gets to look like a well choreographed ballet with practice. Now a double header does get to be a challenge with 2 guys in the boat, but that just adds a level of fun. With 3 guys, its a piece of cake.

Drewski

Thanks Wolf. Question ... I have seen some guys say, put your long line on the top and the shorter on the bottom because when the salmon hit they usually run up, and you say put the long line on the bottom and the short line on the top (which I agree with).

Best practice ... short line on the top (shallower) clip and long line on the bottom (deeper) clip?

Drewski ... fish hits on port side, partner pulls up second port line and downrigger ... would you leave both starboard
lines down to continue fishing and have the second guy drive the boat to keep the fish on the port side?

I have never stacked. I only target springs; primarily WCVI in the summer. Last time I used 3 down riggers it got too insane & quickly switched back to just 2. Like profisher, if I was after reds I'd get as much gear in the water as possible.

I am sure stacking is appropriate for many, just not me.

I am not after numbers; I'd rather catch 1 fish over 25 than 10 fish 12-15.

I have a great CHIRP fish finder/transducer (versus a depth sounder) & don't believe in driving around in circles where there are no Salmon.

If you get a descent fish, there is no way to "keep it on the port (or starboard) side".

I have had 2-3 times with 2 fish over 35 on at once & I plan accordingly for that worst-case situation. When boating/fishing, one SHOULD always be ready for the worst case situation.

Ok - I have to ask this question ... Why would you run just 2 lines for springs and 6 lines for sockeye
when to me 6 lines have a huge potential for tangling? Sorry - never targeted sockeye so newby question.

I have two down riggers and only run one rod on each mainly because I'm fishing out of a 17'. With two people fishing and the bite comes on, working two rods is manageable in that space. I haven't attempted stacking rods, but I could see it becoming unmanageable quickly. Before stacking, I'd probably throw a third line with a hot-spot or something with a small weight as a shallow line.

I have two down riggers and only run one rod on each mainly because I'm fishing out of a 17'. With two people fishing and the bite comes on, working two rods is manageable in that space. I haven't attempted stacking rods, but I could see it becoming unmanageable quickly. Before stacking,

same here,
and if fishing by myself I often run only one rod unless conditions are optimum.

For those who stack, do you use the Scotty stacking clips, or stopper beads and regular clips, or other?

I have been stacking lines for 20yrs as well. Did out of a 17' runabout. Now have a 20". I now run 4 lines even when I am on my own. Four lines with four flashers and whatever. If I know there are good numbers of fish in the area then I may run one or two lines naked. My two cents.

Back