Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Whirlbay was the places to be today lots of teen burgers and wild to 30 lb

Mike i think you need to stop eating at A&W it's affecting your dreams!

Jock's is great on high tides and the owners are the best people on the whole coast. They can't help that the ramp keeps on shifting. It's about dealing with the fisheries to get approval on the dredging. Sunny shores is a good bet, and the crabbing is always good out there. But a free launch in Sooke? I'd rather pay then go through the hassle. Free doesn't mean it's better. If your paying for the gas, then what is an extra $10 going to save you? If your in Pt Reny it would go up another $100 a launch by the year, lol!

Hi Sammy give Jessie a phone call to get the update .he has a few good story's .good luck out there mike

Was out friday, was on fire, missed a couple and threw a 14 in the box and tossed back a few 8-10 pound hatchery fish and lost a monster off the trap reef on the high teens or low 20's. all 154 on the rigger!

Was out Sat and hit two small hatchery fish in the 8 pound range in the first half hour, tossed them back to live another day. Nothing for about an hour and then the wind picked up.

Out for hali on monday!

-Steve

Looks nice for tomorrow..... Ill be floating around... Gimme a buzz on the radio.

I know mike i was out at Whirl bay on Sat. with my wife & son fishing was good to say the least, bite came on very nicely from around noon -... on. My son was very stoked to hook up the 1st big slab of the year but wasn't big on the long line release.Not sure about that model of islander reel that buddy left on the boat has a 2way drag system still allows the fish to go out while reeling in (not to big on the out part) letting it run is not a big part of my sons fishing vocabulary.
Very impressed by the size & overall #'s of hatchery fish in Sooke for this time of year (thanx U.S) you think D.F.O would learn something & bolster our hatchery system again.
Foot note:Saw Rob.H & crew they also did very well limits all hatchery to 17lbs. we swapped notes back at the cleaning station commented on the large herring that were present during cleaning & also a large portion of them were Lrg. females with still developing egg masses possibly still 3 year olds.

We were out Sunday for the first time since mid-Feb. Did not do as great as the experts posts but managed three along East Sooke, largest an 11lb hatch. Coyote spoons and anchovies down at 150 -175' .

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work glad to hear things are working out for you Englishman now back to the hockey game it's a barn burner.

Thx Sammyslabber (and for past tips and info') . Yes, hockey game is real edge of the seat stuff. However, I am also looking forward to Manchester United vs Schalke game on the 26th (European soccer semi-final :cool:

Lots of Nadas for Springs yesterday for a few top rods. The whales on Saturday were amazing, but I suspect they pushed those fish East.

A decent hali day for us, but there sure is a gauntlet of Commercial skates down off the Race for those fish to get through!

Some Half Witt left a anchor setup with scotchman down in no mans land right in the track to West Conny with 100+ feet of poly hanging off it floating all over to a dinky white bumper. Sooke # on the Scotchman. Almost got it in the duoprops. Hit the brakes just in time...Boat following me ran it over, lol

Lots of Nadas for Springs yesterday for a few top rods. The whales on Saturday were amazing, but I suspect they pushed those fish East.

A decent hali day for us, but there sure is a gauntlet of Commercial skates down off the Race for those fish to get through!

Some Half Witt left a anchor setup with scotchman down in no mans land right in the track to West Conny with 100+ feet of poly hanging off it floating all over to a dinky white bumper. Sooke # on the Scotchman. Almost got it in the duoprops. Hit the brakes just in time...Boat following me ran it over, lol

I can't belive someone would do that. It wouldn't last long out there, not with the price of an anchor setup.....

Hi Sammy try 5.5 in apex I,ve done really well ,this time of year on them,I use a dummy flasher with it .good fishing mike

I can't belive someone would do that. It wouldn't last long out there, not with the price of an anchor setup.....

I can believe it, after all you guides keep on promoting that anchoring is the best way to catch Halibut, and then you get some newbie out there who has been told that it is easy, and is only fishing for them that way. Come on, wake up and realize that there are poeple who want to catch these fish, and everyone who is guiding is anchored up.

I know of a new fisherman who has gone to Island Outfitters and to Trotac to only be told that anchoring is the only way to get hali's. Its also that the guides keep going out to the same spots. Plus the guides keep charging a huge amount to go fishing for the one hali that there only going to get.

I have nothing against the fishing guides, but it seems like its a problem that you have created....... it's going to happen more often now.

I can believe it, after all you guides keep on promoting that anchoring is the best way to catch Halibut, and then you get some newbie out there who has been told that it is easy, and is only fishing for them that way. Come on, wake up and realize that there are poeple who want to catch these fish, and everyone who is guiding is anchored up.

I know of a new fisherman who has gone to Island Outfitters and to Trotac to only be told that anchoring is the only way to get hali's. Its also that the guides keep going out to the same spots. Plus the guides keep charging a huge amount to go fishing for the one hali that there only going to get.

I have nothing against the fishing guides, but it seems like its a problem that you have created....... it's going to happen more often now.

????WTF????

It has nothing to do with guiding, it has to do with me being surprised that someone would leave a$400 anchor setup unattended that someone cruising by could very easily steal and be ahead of the game..... I'm not sure what guiding and spots and achoring has to do with it?

I'd like a little more insight on how the guides have created a problem out of someone leaving an anchor in the middle of nowhere for someone to snag in a prop, or steal?

Like I said, the guides are always anchoring up, tell me something do you ever see a guide drift jijjing for hali's in Victoria..... I don't

I just love this site!

Insight, well put Kelly!

No ones fault, it was lack of knowledge by someone is all. I coulda posted a hall of shame photo, but no. Instead I collected the slack, rolled it up and clipped a caribiner to keep it at the float. It could have a 16 foot boat anchored from the prop and be real ugly, real quick, current was rippin. Picture it>>>> Cruisin along with the boyz and bang engine stalls......next thing you know, boat facing backwards into the current and waves, panic mode right. Next time I see one with floating poly line, its gettin yanked and dropped off at the dock for pick up! Many guys leave there setup, where I fish as the current to rippin to get it until slack, that has gone on for years. We dont leave unmarked floating rope hanging 100 feet off it.

Anyway, my bad, why do I post , when will we learn. back to reports!:confused:

I've always liked you Tailspin and have recomended many people to go out with you. And when they get back to me, they always say that your professionalism was outstanding. Like I said before.. I have nothing against guides, just think that some newbies think that its easy to anchor and that there are no risks involved. Then when there is a problem, you then get this abandon anchor line. At least there was a float(bumper) on it. I know your frustration, its just like comming back to port and no seeing a crab trap line floating with 30ft of floating slack. Usually I just tie it up and throw it back, but have been tempted to just cut it off...... but that would be mean.

its just like comming back to port and no seeing a crab trap line floating with 30ft of floating slack. Usually I just tie it up and throw it back, but have been tempted to just cut it off...... but that would be mean.

we saw this yesterday in Oak bay , you would think common sense would dictate to weight the rope ?
Not only to save other boats from a rope around the prop, but to save the trap itself from being cut off.

Back