Saltspring Smallmouth

I

in-fisherman

Although i currently reside in Southern California(i've lived in Vancouver my entire life), my parents have a place on Mayne Island, and am heading up there in August. I've heard about good smallmouth fishing in the lakes on Saltspring Island. If anyone has information on what lake would be the best place to start out, and any other information on that fishery it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

I believe Saint Mary's Lake holds trophy smallmouth. Do a google search.

Unfortunately August is the worst month to fish St. Mary's Lake-the warm water puts 'em down and action is slow to nil.

Late May through June into early July are the best times to hit the place.

that's why there's a warranty!

Unfortunately August is the worst month to fish St. Mary's Lake-the warm water puts 'em down and action is slow to nil.

I would like to offer my two cents worth as far as the summer fishing at St.Mary's Lake on Saltspring Island.
Although, the summer months are typically more difficult to catch Smallmouth Bass, it is also an opportunity to try alternative techniques. The warm water tends to push the smallies down but it will also push them to cover. This lends itself to skipping tubes under over hanging trees as well as docks. Another great technique is the light Carolina Rig fished from 15 to 29 ft. deep. If you have any other questions regarding techniques or tackle please feel free to contact me at www.reactionbaits.com

I would like to offer my two cents worth as far as the summer fishing at St.Mary's Lake on Saltspring Island.
Although, the summer months are typically more difficult to catch Smallmouth Bass, it is also an opportunity to try alternative techniques. The warm water tends to push the smallies down but it will also push them to cover. This lends itself to skipping tubes under over hanging trees as well as docks. Another great technique is the light Carolina Rig fished from 15 to 29 ft. deep. If you have any other questions regarding techniques or tackle please feel free to contact me at www.reactionbaits.com

quote:The warm water tends to push the smallies down but it will also push them to cover. This lends itself to skipping tubes under over hanging trees as well as docks.

That's one I've never tried-great idea especially early in the AM

quote:Another great technique is the light Carolina Rig fished from 15 to 29 ft. deep.

I've Carolina rigged but never thought of using the rig that deep-with the Fireline I have on all my Bass rigs now it'd be a cinch.

Thanks for the info Terry!

quote:The warm water tends to push the smallies down but it will also push them to cover. This lends itself to skipping tubes under over hanging trees as well as docks.

quote:Another great technique is the light Carolina Rig fished from 15 to 29 ft. deep.

I've Carolina rigged but never thought of using the rig that deep-with the Fireline I have on all my Bass rigs now it'd be a cinch.

My pleasure Rodbreaker. Good luck. Send some photo's of your catch to us.

My pleasure Rodbreaker. Good luck. Send some photo's of your catch to us.

Back