Salmon farm eviction notice delivered by First Nation Leaders!

nothing but a big Money a Maker for big business, period.

Past and present government officials should be held accountable for the negative affects these sea based pens have caused. But that won't happen. In the mean time the rich like Pattison keep rubbing their hands together with big smiles. Corporate greed and nothing more. Put them on land or be rid of them, forever.

Your right put them on land. But close commercial fish at the same time. This give the industry more control of the price per pound. Allows the cost to be more stable and now more profitable. Farms are not huge corporate money makers lol. They loose money every year. Alot of farms where sold off back in the day to Norway. Norway could they show a loss and right off $$$.

If this native band can shut down a salmon farm(s) they should have no problem shutting down the sturgeon fishery on the fraser river. And that would just be the tip of that ice burg on fisheries closures.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...bts-over-fraser-river-sturgeon-fishery.64218/

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...n-against-non-selective-salmon-fishery.63834/
The fact that they have this type of power is scary. The fact that they financially profit from salmon and they have the right apparently to shut down anyone else using the ocean is a joke. This is going to get ugly for us. This is just the beginning .

Just an observation:
Some of you guys absolutely refuse to believe anything Morton has to say or show but pretty quick to take a fish farm employees word as gospel. If the janitor at the hospital told you you needed surgery Would you believe him? What proof do we have other than bones telling us those are herring fry we see the salmon eating? Not trying to cast doubt on what bones says but come on. Got some pretty big hypocrites on here I think.

Last edited:
Just looking at my post and I do not see where I said the were herring. I point out she calls them wild salmon and I say is it to hard to grab a dip net and show us..... She doesn't and goes on in the video calling them herring and Eulachon. Then back to wild salmon......

First Nation Protestors Rally For Fish Farm Evictions
Campbell River meeting comes as Morton video of farmed fish goes viral.
xAndrew-Nikiforuk-Bio_square_thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EOz_9g2HVS.jpg
By Andrew Nikiforuk Today | TheTyee.ca
http://thetyee.ca/News/2016/08/31/First-Nations-Fish-Farm-Eviction-Rallies/

Just looking at my post and I do not see where I said the were herring. I point out she calls them wild salmon and I say is it to hard to grab a dip net and show us..... She doesn't and goes on in the video calling them herring and Eulachon. Then back to wild salmon......

Oh I agree. Just pointing out the fact that you don't know any more
Than Morton what kind of fish they are. And that people on here are quick to slam Morton because she's not a salmon biologist. Not saying your not a biologist just
Asking
Why we should believe you and not her? Because you work at a fish farm? Like I say janitor at the hospital tells you you need surgery would you believe him.

Last edited:
big thumbs up jeffywestcoast!
great to see some supporters here on the side of our wild salmon stocks and our environment!

big thumbs up jeffywestcoast!
great to see some supporters here on the side of our wild salmon stocks and our environment!
You bet! Whatever side of the fence you are on everyone is entitled to their beliefs, while i am not saying fish farms are solely responsible for the decline in wild salmon stocks all the signs point to the the fact that they are in someway connected .. Even getting the fish farms moved on to land would be a big win for wild salmon.

Last edited:

what does it really matter that they are herring? or Eulachon? or wild salmon smolts that the atlantics are feeding on? the fact is that these multi-millions, soon to be (if not already) billions of unnatural to our waters, invasive atlantics are eating what are left of our dwindling wild salmon and the food that they feed upon. atlantics don't differentiate or would you or your buddies like us to believe that also? not that it matters since they (invasive atlantics) are eliminating the wild salmon and the wild feed that they naturally predate on.
having these unnaturally huge concentrations of diseased invasive atlantics in our natural settings along migration routes is obviously destroying the balance of nature in our waterways in just about every way and not for the better. and now they want to expand? you guys and your excuses you come up with are comical. unfortunately the outcome won't be. but the industry will be booming at the expense of the wild fish.
DFO's a joke. these open net pen salmon farming companies are another sick joke. unfortunately the wild salmon aren't laughing... they're dying before they have a chance.

Oh I agree. Just pointing out the fact that you don't know any more
Than Morton what kind of fish they are. And that people on here are quick to slam Morton because she's not a salmon biologist. Not saying your not a biologist just
Asking
Why we should believe you and not her? Because you work at a fish farm? Like I say janitor at the hospital tells you you need surgery would you believe him.

You are right that maybe there are some of us that do not know anymore than Morton as to what kind of fish those are; however, the difference is that some of us choose to not to speculate and imply more than what the video shows. If one is not confident enough to know then there is no harm in saying "I don't know" or you defer to those that do know. Instead it's basically implied in the video that these fish are herring or eulachon then it takes on a life of its own in cyber-land and now they are wild salmon. Not much different when she was "identifying" or more correctly misidentifying wild salmon from a mort tote. Bones makes a good point though if she wasn't sure then take a sample, but given the circumstances she was likely not going to have that opportunity (also need a fish sampling permit). I don't understand your analogy with the janitor because bones has aquaculture experience. If he was strictly cleaning floors then I can see your point.

Hey guys
did you miss this post?

Admin

Administrator

Staff Member

Once again....this is turning into your own personal argument and has deviated a long way from the original subject matter. I am not interested in wasting my time cleaning up your personal piles of excrement, so if you cannot reign in your need to hit send with this kind of off topic arguing about who is the fairest in the land, then you will have to leave the school yard. I generally resist the temptation to use this type of tone when writing these warnings, but these childish behaviours need to stop now.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
And WHY isn't this Protest ALL over the news on every local station.
Because they are in with Government and big business, you scratch my back I scratch yours. This protest should be announced well prior to it actually happening.
My guess as many before, a Government will laugh this off, swept under the carpet, a payout at best to FN and done.

Mean while the poison continues to flow.

HT

Lol..... Always a nice debate when fish farms topics show up

Where is it written that we harvest wild fish to be cut up and fed to farmed fish????

I ask show me where this written?

I think he is referring to the farmed eating wild smolts that enter the net pens

You are right that maybe there are some of us that do not know anymore than Morton as to what kind of fish those are; however, the difference is that some of us choose to not to speculate and imply more than what the video shows. If one is not confident enough to know then there is no harm in saying "I don't know" or you defer to those that do know. Instead it's basically implied in the video that these fish are herring or eulachon then it takes on a life of its own in cyber-land and now they are wild salmon. Not much different when she was "identifying" or more correctly misidentifying wild salmon from a mort tote. Bones makes a good point though if she wasn't sure then take a sample, but given the circumstances she was likely not going to have that opportunity (also need a fish sampling permit). I don't understand your analogy with the janitor because bones has aquaculture experience. If he was strictly cleaning floors then I can see your point.

It doesn't matter what kind of fish the atlantics were eating, the point is they were eating wild fish!

You bet! Whatever side of the fence you are on everyone is entitled to their beliefs, while i am not saying fish farms are solely responsible for the decline in wild salmon stocks all the signs point to the the fact that they are in someway connected .. Even getting the fish farms moved on to land would be a big win for wild salmon.

You should be careful with the argument "everyone is entitled to....."
It is typically used as an attempt to create a false equivalence between a valid researched finding, and a laymens opinion.
While everyone is entitled to have an opinion, opinions are anything but equal. Ms Morton preys on the publics need for shocking information, and uses her status to commit the "argument from authority" fallacy.
While she is a marine biologist, and she has some published work, she makes claims that are far outside of what she has published, and can be verified. This is very poor science, if she were still associated with a university it would most likely result in academic misconduct findings.
Just because you are expert on topic A does not mean that anything you say about topic A is correct. You should very carefully stick to only what you have published and other scientists can verify for themselves
The whole conversation about fish farms is typically a bunch of people who haven't conducted any research having their own opinions, and thinking that they are equal to what years of research have found. Morton takes shocking photos and then makes very specific damaging claims, mostly unfounded and exaggerated. the worst sort of junk science and bullying.
I personally have the uninformed opinion that fish farms should only be in landlocked facilities, but I am aware that I don't have anything to back up my opinion, just anecdotes and opinions.
There are many rules and fallacies to making a good scientific argument, and this particular topic seems to draw out all of the fallacies from both sides, with very little valid science involved

Last edited:
How about all the first nation people claiming their way of life is being threaten by these fishfarms? Do you think they came down to Victoria today to protest fishfarms to make money? Looking for a payout? How about Norway ?? How are those fishfarms working out ?? If you think i am naive enough to take a stand against farmed fish on the results of Alexandra Mortons finding you are dead wrong , i grew up in Campbell River .. Facts are facts.. I have seen first hand the damage these fish farms have caused on the wild salmon. If they are not damaging wild salmon populations or atleast contributing to the decline of it then you should have no problem having them moved to land based tanks to prove they have no impact on wild salmon populations . Give us 30 years of no netpen fish farms on migratory routes of wild salmon and then lets have another look at the situation.. Until then i stand with the people of all nationalities who want these abominations you call aquaculture removed from our waters .

Back