Running at night

FisherTim

Hello all,

I've got an 18' HT without radar, I cruise at 20 kts, so I figured I should get some sort of forward facing light to illuminate the water as well as my navigation lights.

From what I've seen, I think I should get 2 of these, 1 on each side of the hard top. What do you guys do for running at night?

Getting lights to create good visibility in the dark is tough. I used to run in the dark and hope for the best but have gotten a bit older and wiser. Depending on location I just feel like running in the dark is not worth the risk anymore.

No radar + running in the dark = gambling. When I take someone fishing, I always promise to bring everyone back alive. I never promise fish. Many things can go wrong quickly on the water, without gambling.
My 2 cents
Stosh

no radar....... no leg. your going to fast.
if you need lights use the KC Highlights that project a huge distance. use lots like on a 4x4.
the led lights are great for flooding a space but there not narrow spot lights

Not for me with any amount of light and radar. Always plan to be on the pick as close to where I want to be shortly before dark, nothing like a full belly and good meal, that secure on anchor feeling and a good sleep. Coffee in the morning and fishing immediately after.

Do have 2 100w pro comps on the truck and 85 w high beams. But that's not on water.

HM

Hello all,

I've got an 18' HT without radar, I cruise at 20 kts, so I figured I should get some sort of forward facing light to illuminate the water as well as my navigation lights.

From what I've seen, I think I should get 2 of these, 1 on each side of the hard top. What do you guys do for running at night?
Lights will not help at 20 knots
95% chance you will hit anything to worry about
It's the 5 % you need to worry about

At 20 knots in the dark, you don't need lights you need night vision goggles.

Your better off with no lights keep it as dark as u can inside the wheel house and drive slow. Lights are for when u going really slow near docks or obstacles

Ask for trouble and you will receive it in spades!! I have an O-light intimidator-puts out 3200 lumens with a throw distance of 268 meters literally turns night into day. Only there for emergencies if I have to--would never run at night and I have radar and 2 plotters on board and certainly not at 20knots!! I personally think you should re-evaluate what you enjoy about your life and why you would like to keep it. Just sayin!!

I run in the dark but:

A, I am very familiar with my area with 20 years of running about in small fast boats. Like 5 days a week. 52 weeks a year.
B, My lights are below the top edge of my bow. This is key.
C, there isn't a lot of drift wood in my area.
D, I use radar because I have it. In my area mariners know the importance of lighting so they are lit one way or another so I can get by with gps.

your lights have to be in the bow where there is no light on any of your deck or rails if you are going to run at night. Light s on your hard top will just light up you bow so much that you can not see anything even eff they are spots. And in rain you will not see past your bow.

When you are running you will not see anything unless something is there. You can't even see the water for the light just reflects up mostly.

I also lay rags over all my gauges and sterio so there is no light in the cab to help improve vision. I have no issue doing 30kn in nice conditions.

I have no issue doing 30kn in nice conditions.

me thinks if you are running 30 knots in the dark, in a cab, with "no issues" you are in the 95% chance of not hitting anything serious.
Good luck with the 5% chance of having a serious problem!

there are many boats doing this in my area all the time. There are all local experienced operators. You.d get laughed at pretty hard if you told that to some of the local natives that do it all the time. You have no idea what your talking about FI.

You.d get laughed at pretty hard if you told that to some of the local natives that do it all the time. You have no idea what your talking about FI.

I beg to differ....I do know what I am talking about.
I have spent many hours running in the dark.
RUNNING AT 30 KNOTS IN A CABIN, IN THE DARK IS NOT ADVISABLE!
Certainly in perfect conditions, calm sea and lots of moon light it is possible.
BUT especially in a cabin with any kind of a chop on the water, it is not advisable in any area of this coast line.
I would suggest you not recommend it to those who follow this forum.
AND I would not be offended if I was "laughed at pretty hard" by you and the folks who do it "all the time" or other forum members.
It's only my opinion.

For discussion sake what's it matter if your in a cab or not. In a cab you don't have rain or fog or wind in your eyes hampering your vision. I'd say it's better to be in a cab. Tho not all cabs are the same.
I DONT recomend it anyone.
When I say nice conditions I mean calm although I prefer a slight ripple from the wind so I can see the water. Other wise it feel like your flying a plane for you can not see that vertical dimension. Same thing happens in fog when the water is glass. Feel like your flying a plane. I don't like it.

If you have run in the dark with improper lighting you will think it is impossible. Maybe that's you fi. You can't see nothing with improper lighting.

I don't think there is any magic speed necessarily - but stay at a speed that you can see objects in time and dodge them - same as running in the fog. If you have a good set-up with high intensity, narrow beam spotlights - and the surface is reasonably calm enough not to hide too much garbage - you might be able to run as fast as 20-22 knots. That'd give you enough time to alter around junk that appears in the searchlight. Other times you are down to something substantially less - esp in bad vis and/or sea state. Sometimes having lights down lower helps with the visibility - if there is any backscatter from the searchlight.

It's tough to focus on the radar and then focus on what is ahead of the boat - esp when driving at speed. Your eyes need time to adjust both to focus and light levels. While your eyes are either off the water and on the radar - or for the first few minutes after looking away and back to the water - you are effectively blind - while your boat is still traveling at speed. Wood - low in the water doesn't show up well in the radar - esp with any sea state. Better to reduce speed and keep a sharp look-out at all times - if there is any doubt. See: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1416/FullText.html

Collision Regulations

C.R.C., c. 1416

CANADA SHIPPING ACT, 2001

Rule 6
Safe Speed — International
Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

In determining a safe speed the following factors shall be among those taken into account:
  • (a) By all vessels:
    • (i) the state of visibility,
    • (ii) the traffic density including concentrations of fishing vessels or any other vessels,
    • (iii) the manoeuvrability of the vessel with special reference to stopping distance and turning ability in the prevailing conditions,
    • (iv) at night the presence of background light such as from shore lights or from back scatter of her own lights,
    • (v) the state of wind, sea and current, and the proximity of navigational hazards,
    • (vi) the draught in relation to the available depth of water.
  • (b) Additionally, by vessels with operational radar:
    • (i) the characteristics, efficiency and limitations of the radar equipment,
    • (ii) any constraints imposed by the radar range scale in use,
    • (iii) the effect on radar detection of the sea state, weather and other sources of interference,
    • (iv) the possibility that small vessels, ice and other floating objects may not be detected by radar at an adequate range,
    • (v) the number, location and movement of vessels detected by radar,
    • (vi) the more exact assessment of the visibility that may be possible when radar is used to determine the range of vessels or other objects in the vicinity.

Last edited:
Back