registration papers on boat

trophywife

Crew Member
[V]i have been hearing alot of chatter about the rcmp and transort canada checking for regi papers on board boats,then handing out fines, this is where i am confused, i purchased my boat out of the states,paid tax , got my new bc numbers. the doc for the bc numbers states that this is not a title document,altough it has my name address and h.i.n.?? i have a blue and white peice of paper that shows the tax on import titled "casual goods accounting document" i have yellow piece of paper which is a vehicle import form but only seems to be for my trailer., also a state of washington certificate of ownership that shows the previous owner release of interest.. i called the rcmp in cambell river and they did not have an answer except for try and contact border services?? anyone??? what does thid regi look like and where do i get the right peice of burocracy so i do not have to sweat it...

share the harvest
2625 kingfisher

Go to Service Canada in person and they will print you out a licence ,its free.

i have my licence, the paper says clearly on it "this is not a title document" ???????? [?]

share the harvest
2625 kingfisher

All that is required on board is a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence. The one with your boat number on it (old "K" number). They are not looking for registration. Registering your boat is not required and is optional.

sounds like you have the right document, mine also says "this licence is not a title document" Just means you can not use it for proof of ownership and you would need something other like bill of sale.

this is from service canada.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/boats/index.shtml#a14

Pleasure craft licence

A pleasure craft licence provides a unique identification number – commonly referred to as the "licence number" – that an owner of a recreational vessel must display on the boat's bow. This number helps law enforcement and search and rescue officials trace a pleasure craft to its owner. An owner must display the licence number on both sides of the bow of the vessel, above the water line, in block characters not less than 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.

The licence is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft. Service Canada issues these licences.

Note: You do not need a pleasure craft licence if a boat is registered (see Question 3 above).

The pleasure craft licence is free of charge, and you can transfer it to any subsequent owner of the vessel. You must carry the licence on board your vessel at all times. However, a licence is not a title document. You must also carry other documents, such as a document that establishes ownership, to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine.

190 your wrong they what to see the boats reg as well they were giving guys tickets for not having them on there boat.

Was checked by the RCMP on the ramp. They want to see PBOC and registration.

The only registration the RCMP have any business worrying about is the trailer registration. Yes they check for license and your operators permit. You do not have to register your boat. You only need to license it (and keep the license in the boat). I'd challenge any fines levied for no registration if the boat is licensed and the paperwork is on board.

They want the boat registration too, they are catching up on all the guys who haven't paid taxes after they purchase a used boat.

Again, you don't have to register your boat. When you transfer or apply for a new license number with Transport Canada this triggers a demand from the B.C. Ministry of Finance. The Ministry cross references to see if provincial taxes have been paid. If not, there will be a demand for payment sent in the mail. Could be two weeks or two years, it all depends.
As far as the RCMP checking to see if you have paid taxes, that's a crock of SH@T! What sort of fine are they giving for that? When did the RCMP become collection lackys for the ministry of finance?
If they want proof of ownership, why isn't it in the regulations?
All you're required to have is your Operators Permit and your vessel's licence.

What if you are pleasure boater with a VHF, radio are they checking for your radio operators card???

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

i HAVE A RADIO OPERATORS LICENSE SO--NO AXE TO GRIND--sorry about the caps---you are not required to have a license to be in possesion of a radio--they can charge you if they actually see you operating the radio without a license--that said- the coast guard will not make an issue of you using the radio for assistance without a license.

Why take a chance??? And I can see it now ... Them SOB,s gave me a fine what a bunch of Aholes etc etc If you break a rule its simple pay it and be done no different than a speeding fine ...We all have had one but we still dont learn LOL

wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

still have not got a registration on my boat, and cannot figure where to get it??? the border does not know, neither do the rcmp,, gonna try service canada again????[V]

share the harvest
2625 kingfisher

If you want to Register the boat go through Transport Canada(do a search on the web site). If you are using it for pleasure go license it at Services Canada (can't do both). If you need proof of ownership you can use this.

What documents can I use as valid proof of ownership?
To establish proof of ownership, we accept documents that contain the following information:

•name, address, and signature of previous owner;
•name and signature of new owner;
•description of the pleasure craft (make, model, and other details requested on the application form);
•o hull identification number or compliance label number (if available); and,
•pleasure craft licence identification number (if already licensed).

Documents that we consider to be valid proof of ownership (depending on the application type) include the following:

•bills of sale
•statutory declarations
•wills and bequests
•separation or divorce agreements
•court judgements
•signed agreements of transfer of ownership (sale/purchase agreement)
If you need more help PM me!

thanks,, very much!!!

share the harvest
2625 kingfisher

So as I see it....all you need is a bill of sale,and leave the K# on the boat[don't transfer K# to new owner]and have your pleasure-craft licence...YES???? good to go?

It is a $250 fine if you don't provide proof of ownership as per Transport Canada. This can be done via the BC number paper work that is given to you when you register and pay your tax at Service Canada. It is within RCMP mandate to ask for these papers on all pleasure craft registered vessels.

Back