Marking RCAs on Lowrance HDS

sly_karma

Crew Member
I want to mark the RCAs in my area on my Lowrance HDS gen 2 (non touch) chartplotter. Can anyone give me some direction here? Do I create it as a Route? Most of them follow shorelines for a portion of their perimeter, is there a way of doing it without entering a zillion little points on a meandering shoreline?

how i done mine was use the way points given and repeat the first one last and join it up as a route and mark it in a differing color
takes a bit of time all depends on the areas you fish .
but it would be nice just to have navionics just up load it to there chips ....

I can send you them, or some of them or talk you through it. I use insight mapping and cut and paste. Reefmaster will work also.
Starts off as waypoints then you join them via route. I have RCAS in the straight mapped.
O.... I use google earth alittle as well.

I'm not that computer literate so what I did was mark the seaward points with a skull and crossbones or stop sign-save them as waypoints then go to the route menu and enter them as a route-name the route such as Bajo XX then in the route menu select" show" and voila you can see the seaward portion of the rca or exclusion zone so it is easy to "walk the line" if you wish! Did this on a lowrance elite 7 and also a hook-both about the same.

i use insight genesis and copy paste from the DFO website. looks like this:

When you use insight genesis you create your maps, waypoints routes RCA's, fish closure areas. it stays on your PC. then you export to sd card and import on to your head unit. you can do this anytime you want and to any head unit. if your unit gets messed up no prob because you are all backed up on your pc.

you can add info to it many different ways and its easy, copy past, put it on google earth and save it to import on insight. simple

what rca's are you looking for? maybe i have them and just email them to you?

Attachments

• snipping strait georgia.JPG
    snipping strait georgia.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 155
  • snipping strait georgia raster.JPG
    snipping strait georgia raster.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 154
  • insight.JPG
    insight.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 135
  • weekend map of thrasher.JPG
    weekend map of thrasher.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 147
Do you have to purchase insight planner to make the routes? I'm very interested and would like to update my maps with the closures as well.

Last edited:
Insight planner is purchase. It allows you to map on a PC.... Point and click. It also allows you to keep all your info on a separate unit. Should a unit fail all you need to do is export and import. You may be able to create the route on google earth and import it as a kml file. I will try to later and let you know

Bones, I would definitely be interested in helping you distribute these files, I could host them for free if you need.
I'd love to see everybody have fishing boundaries on their plotters

Great ideas, folks.
It has been chapping me for a few years that we can't simply download the RCAs!

I have them all saved as a gpx file. Easy to import. PM me your email and I will sent them to who ever wants them.

This GPX file imports the RCA's as tracks. I have seen some Elite sounders that have issues importing them all as the sounder runs out of space. Never had any issues on HDS editions. On Elite just import the areas that concern you, not all of them and you will be OK. On my HDS gen 1 when I import the tracks they are different colors. Being a little OCD this drives me crazy. I have found that if saved as a USR file from the sounder it will import back to the sounder with the color changes to the tracks intact. My charting program on my PC crashes when I try to import a USR file so I can't make a GPX with the colors all the same. Lowrance uses USR and GPX so we are good to go. I am always dumping my sounder information onto my PC and editing the tracks and waypoints then reinstalling back onto my sounder.

You could make them and save them as kml or kmz files. If you buy insight planner from gofree or lowrance the transfer is seem less. We could also database it and share. There is no copyright on waypoints

I tried the same link on the weekend and there is no download option. I also tried the free download for the app on other websites but they didn't work either.

image.png This is the website with no download Option.
image.png

sent support the question

Good Morning

there used to be a direct download link to insight planner. it is now missing from the site. wondering if this option will return or mailed disk is the only option to purchase now?

Back