LOX Recipe

R

Reeltime

Gravlax recipe

*Fillet ,sprinkle pickling salt ,very little pepper , very light sprinkle of brown suger
IMG-20140926-00528.jpg
*Lemon zest , dill
IMG-20140926-00540.jpg
*Add more pickling salt
IMG-20140926-00542.jpg
*Triple wrap fillets and poke holes with a tooth pick on both sides of the saran to let the moisture out .
IMG-20140926-00548.jpg
*Put something on top to put pressure on the fish to squeeze the moisture out .(3-4 bricks heavy )
IMG-20140926-00552.jpg

*Three days in the fridge flip each day ... Third day rinse and enjoy, slice thin or vacuum seal for christmas :D . iv'e been doing this recipe for awhile it's a hit at party's .

**** Use only your freshest fish as if it is a bit old and fishy smelling it won't be tasty ****

I usually take out a few whole salmon that have been caught with in 3 months and Gravlax them

and vacuum seal portioned fillets and it keeps a lot longer in the freezer no fishy taste .

* roughly 8 lb salmon filleted

* 1 cup pickling salt

* 1/4 cup brown sugar

* 1/2 teaspoon pepper

* enough dill to cover fish

* zest of 1 lemon

* All ingredients were sprinkled on separately.

* If fish are over 14-15 lbs i would loin it so the curing will be even .

* So just a good coating of salt is needed on what ever size of fish you take out and all other ingredients bump up as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice recipe reeltime, however you are making gravlax really, lox, at least as I know it is brined, either wet or dry, and cold smoked (has to be under 90 degrees to make sure it cures and doesn't actually cook like hot smoking does. the combination of the brining process and the cold smoking cures the salmon to produce your lox.

nice recipe reeltime, however you are making gravlax really, lox, at least as I know it is brined, either wet or dry, and cold smoked (has to be under 90 degrees to make sure it cures and doesn't actually cook like hot smoking does. the combination of the brining process and the cold smoking cures the salmon to produce your lox.

Thnx nicat ...Tried editing the post LOX to Gravlax ... but couldn't figure it out Gravlax is the recipe

Thnx persistent ...You could do that i guess little cold smoke yum , I do enough hot and cold smoke in the winter that it's a nice change from smoke .. it's a very clean taste,chilled and put on a baguette and cream cheese dalish ! .

yes the gravlax is great for a change of pace and as reeltime said, a nice clean taste. I'll be trying your recipe soon, looking forward to it. I've made it before but just used the salt and some dill, which was quite good.

hey reeltime gonna try your recipe when you say sprinkle sugar and salt in cup form how much of each ingredient did you use for that whole fish?

Hey fishin solo , for that size of fish roughly 8 lbs .... 1 cup of salt , 1/4 cup of brown sugar , 1/2 a teaspoon pepper . i didn't put measurements because of different sizes of fish , pretty much just giving the fish a even coat of salt twice , light shake of pepp and light grazing of sugar , the dill and lemon just sets it off very tasty . all ingredients are put on separately .. Hope this helps let me know how it went . Cheers !

Thanks for sharing the recipe Reeltime. I going to try it with the last step of some cold smoke.
Your picture looks like you used fresh dill?
I have some dried dill, it probably doesn't matter.

Hey your welcome Sotally Tober ... if you can use fresh dill it taste a bit different ..the dry will still taste good , let me know how your cold smoking on it turned out i may have to try that to one day . Cheers!

Looks good. Have you tried with different types of salmon? Very big difference in taste? I know sockeye preferred and thinking springs could be to thick to cure properly? Maybe to fatty? I bet coho would be a good bet some seem to be just as red a sockeye, must be feeding on the same things. Taste quite different when cooked but cured/raw would be a lot more similar?

Hey fish stalker , I've done mostly coho and sockeye for this recipe unless you have a small red spring i think it would pretty good still , after curing of coho or sockeye they actually taste the same because the ingredients really permeate through the fish , if i was doing a bigger fish over 14-15 lbs i would loin the pieces for even curing .

Up early to complete two more stages in the process of cold smoking salmon using this recipe: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?103-The-Best-Smoked-LOX-Style-Salmon Dry brined the 12 lbs of coho for (8 hours), wet brined it (8 hours), refreshed it (35 minutes), air dried it (2 hours), then smoked it for 2 hours. First time trying this recipe, but it worked out really well.......As I couldn't find Alder pellets, I used a combination of Apple pellets and Alder wood chips in my A-Maze-N smoker box. To ensure the temperature didn't go above 75 degrees farenheit I put a pan of ice in the Big Green Egg and used my temperature probe. Smoked the fish in the Egg for two hours and just had a very tasty noon hour snack of cold smoked salmon on crackers with cream cheese and capers! Awesome!
20141006_054934.jpg20141006_073246.jpg20141006_075650.jpg20141006_101305.jpg20141006_113636.jpg20141006_114824.jpg

Hey Reeltime, great post, almost bang on my recipe but I do prefer to use fresh dill and chopped garlic, I press with a 24 Pack for 4 days, flipping as you say, I also use a portion of the fillets for the cold smoke just to pass by them for a little different flavour. I prefer to use Sockeye and also remove the skin and the frown fat on the skin side. It's always a hit , sliced thin ya can't get enough.

Looks like you had a great season REELTIME. Right on

HT

Hey high tide how's it going thnx ! ... All these prized fish everybody has caught needs some good recipes , i like these little tweaks here and there it makes a better product,
that's the beauty of lox you can just add fresh herbs and flavours for your own style ,next is maple whiskey . but simple is always best.

I'm gonna try fresh garlic and cold smoking it also on the next round how long did you cold smoke for and did you use alder ? ...... haha i like that a 24 pack that is some nice evenly displaced weight i have nooo problem there.

Great season was had Howard i'm still having nightmares of the chaos sock fishing :) Thnx again Marco

Woo hoo i just made senior member :D CHEERS !!

I have used the recipe from the susan minor website for a number of years with my Bradely smoker using slightly shorter brines and longer smoke in cold weather. The product, incl tuna, has always been very well received.

my wife being Danish , does essentially the same thing only Aquavit and dill are also used. Aquavit is available in the liquor store, uses a couple of teaspoons,

my wife being Danish , does essentially the same thing only Aquavit and dill are also used. Aquavit is available in the liquor store, uses a couple of teaspoons,

Hey robertg , I just looked up Aquavit and it's pretty nice stuff , spiced with herbs and flavoured lemon,dill or orange gonna add that

to my next gravlax. Thanks !

I know this is an old post but worth bring it back again. Thanks to Reeltime for originally posting this.
I have used this recipe several times with great success and rave reviews from friends.
Only change I have made is to cold smoke the salmon for a few hours after the curing process.
I have a coho curing now and will be smoking it later this week. Looking forward to snacking on this salmon with crackers, some cream cheese and a balsamic reduction drizzled on top.

Back