Landing a fish solo

Reeltime

How i sorta figured what was the best way to land solo and it works great , wear the fish out or
control his head right away and drag him in hard before notices his really hooked right into the net
head first on the side of the boat .

i stopped trying to land in the back of the boat that's a gamble .

Slap it in neutral when it's time that way your not fighting the water current
i put a video of one i landed below and i cantilever the fishing net with one hand soon
as i get control of it's head pull him in head first and slam the net up off the gunnel

Smooth and efficient technique!
I basically copy that....but I take the fish out of the net before bonking. Learned after banging a few holes in the net.

When I'm fighting a fish solo I like the tire it right out. I'll keep reducing the drag and letting it run until it's completely exhausted if I'm positive that it's a keeper, then I typically use my gaff.
I use 9-foot rods and I have a short net for when I'm by myself or with inexperienced people, but for salmon which are obviously legal I always go to the gaff.

Last edited:
Gaff... play the fish, grab flasher with left hand switch rod for gaff all in one motion, pull fish in and gaff right up into boat, through the gill plate and they are a bleedin.

Back