Importing Outboards from the US

nedarb2

If one is too buy a pair of outboards out of the states (used) what do you need to bring them across the border?
I assume a bill of sale from the seller, which would state the price of sale and serial numbers of the engines,
but is there paperwork to fill out ahead of time aswell?
i cant find any information on the customs website.

I brought up my two zukes from florida, I hired a customs broker, I did the same when I brought up my boat. Not expensive and well worth the money. Theyll tell you what you need. I didnt have to pay duty on the motors as they were made in Japan, and Japan is part of NAFTA.
I also got my gst back because they were for buisiness.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:I didnt have to pay duty on the motors as they were made in Japan, and Japan is part of NAFTA.

Not quite, Japan has Most Favoured Nation Trading Status (or something quite like it), a bit of a sweetheart deal but not NAFTA.

You don't need a customs broker, I have imported 2 boats. Took less than an hour each time. Just have all your paperwork, bill of sale, bank transit info etc to prove what you paid.

Only issue is the warranty is VOID when you cross the border. You can't even buy the extended warranty....that was for Yamaha, I'm not sure about Suzuki. I imagine they would be better to deal with than Yamaha.

What good is a warranty that requires me to spend $500 in ferry costs to run to the dealer for service?

Evinrude and Merc have North American warranties -- doesn't matter where you purchase the engines. Yamaha certainly sucks for cross-border warranty issues -- they just won't honour it even though their warranty statement in the manual states they will.

TenMile
<'((((><

hey searun sucks to live on the island. I saved at least 7-8000 on my motor. with three years extended warranty for nothing up here all they were going to do was a free prop (not even stainless)

Don't do it nedarb2, it's not worth it. I brought a F250 Yamaha back across from North Carolina last year and it was 18 months old and had 182 hours on it. I thought this is great, this motor should give me a a couple seasons minimum, and I had it inspected, sea-trialed, the whole deal.

At 282 hours, 24 miles off of Beale this motor blows up. After some expensive efforts to get it into Breakers in Port I find this out that it's a valve spring and it's cause...faulty metal, nothing you could do to prevent it, just a freak accident and if it happened in the states complete warranty from start to finish.

I called Yamaha and they told me I am SOL because of the whole CDN/US ******** that the dealers have going with each other, which is complete crap because these motors are exactly the same and made in the same place regardless if you buy them here or there...just political ********.

They said the only way they would consider it was if I had all of the repair work done by a certified Yamaha dealership, and even then no guarantees.

So I do it and 6k later Yamaha says sorry no dice. How's that for service and backing up your product? 282 hours and a god-damned valve spring. Bunch of no good ******s. I hope Yamaha ****s the bed and everyone switches to Suzuki's.

Don't do it, buy local and support our guys, I tried to get ahead of the curve and save some bucks and buy down there and got screwed. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Millsy, I agree whole heartedly. That is why I dumped my twin Yami 225's with only 200 hours on them when I imported my Grady White 265 Express. Immediately switched to Suki's at Breakers...they have been excellent. And Suzuki backs their product way better than Yami.

Searun

Back