Hoochies

Big Guy, I will take a look at the package today and see if I can remember. I think local, either at Jerry's Tackle shop or Swains, both in Port Angeles. I will be at both stores today looking for some new hoochie patterns.

Cohobankie, Mustad 9510XXXS Stainless 5/0. I bend the beak in with a pair of pliers and file off the barbs. Open eye hooks when purchased, they are the standard Commercial Troller's hook for hoochies. I file them sticky sharp, they will stick in my thumbnail when drug across.

Last edited:
Nice post Mako. If you don't mind me asking where do you get the glow hoochies with the dark green dots (top left corner of your tray) Do you have a make and number on those hoochies. They used to be one of my best producers, but they are no longer available up here. There are similar ones, but not the same up here (lighter green splotches). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I believe they were called "Pistachio" from Angelo
who is out of business

PNT has the same ones hanging on the wall....there are several variations. GREEN, Pink, Blue, Black, etc.

North Pacific.

Nope not quite the same ones, the pistachio is a lighter green smudge of color, not dark green round dots. The difference is subtle, but it makes a big difference in their productivity. Those with the round dots were the ones Delta Tackle used to sell but I haven't seen them in stores in years. Thanks for posting Mako.

That one with the dark green dots is very hard to find. It is still manufactured in the orient, but to get it I would have to custom order 1000 units. Mind you, your only paying 11 cents per unit at that volume. I might order a hundred lot because that's about $25-35, but 1000 units is a bit much. Hundred lots of mini hoochies can be bought for as low as $15, (if they can be found for sale in lots that small). Most wholesalers prefer to sell in 500 or 1000 lot batches. I will only go through the hassle of ordering from overseas for hoochies that are no longer sold here. Unfortunately, with the minimal size of our commercial troll fleet many hoochie colors are being phased out. Sure wish I'd stocked up even more on a few of my favs that have been deep sixed.

Last edited:
Anyone tried Steelhead gooybobs instead. I was tying some up and was almost out of gum puckies and figured why not. I don't steelhead anymore, so I figured why not put them to use?
u have any of the Lurh Jensen BC orange gooey bobs?.. I'll trade you :)

I'm not saying the pistachio version doesn't work well, they are very similar, and both work well. It's just that I prefer the darker green round dot hoochie myself. Kind of like blue jeans, some guys prefer Levis to Lee. From a distance they all look the same, but it's all about what you prefer. I prefer the other version cause I've caught lots on it, and I feel confident in my gear when it's on the line.

u have any of the Lurh Jensen BC orange gooey bobs?.. I'll trade you :)
Ya I've still got a few like in the pic I posted. PM me your address and I'll mail them to to you, I've no shortage of tackle, so no worries about returning the favor. If I'm not using it it might as well go to someone who will.

Anyone used a pattern similar to this 7cm blue squirt:
HTB1bC0OQpXXXXadXpXXq6xXFXXXu.jpg

32801693540.html

I really like the blue shades, and Im thinking this would be a gooder by itself or inside the transparent purple haze hoochies.

No comments, I guess because I don't think it's sold here. I figured I'd take a flyer on it, because it was on sale for cheap and I think it will produce. $8.55 US for a hundred lot shipped free. I plan on trying it for springs, coho, and chum.

Last edited:
Is the pink and black strips 55 Chevy?
Yes, the pink and black strips is the 55 Chevy. The orange and black is the Tiger Prawn. I was only looking for the 8 inch Halibut hoochies in Tiger Prawn. I still have some Tiger Prawn hoochies in the smaller Salmon sizes.

... Unfortunately, with the minimal size of our commercial troll fleet many hoochie colors are being phased out...

Some of us were and still are a little on the Gear Pig side. :D
The boat alone carries around 20,000+ hoochies, let alone what my Partner and I have in storage... awaiting The Day... LOL!

Recognize the green one you're focused on, and if I run across it will try to remember to snag a bag for ya.
Not one of my Go-To Killers so much...

Cheers,
Nog

IMG_0757.JPG IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0758.JPG Here's some oldies but goodies I dug out of the crawl space last weekend

Thanks for posting those SteelyDan.

Thanks Nog. Man I'd sure like to see your hoochie collection. It would probably give me wet dreams.

The only down side to the glow green dot hoochy marketed by delta tackle in the past was it wasn't as durable as the Yama versions. That's why I don't have any left. I mostly used it on the inside, but I've also done well on it in Barkley Sound. Even guide friends I went with on an early trip in March a long time ago were surprised how well it produced in the Sound. It caught just as many as their chovies, but theirs were on average a larger size feeder spring caught on the bait. I made sure to leave them some as they were pretty impressed with it's productivity.

Hey Nog, did you ever use an old pattern that was a half very dark navy blue/half gold over on the west coast. I love blue and some years gold is a hot color. I bought a ten pack of those and they worked better than almost any other hoochie I'd used on Coho in the Sound one fall. Seemed to catch way bigger coho as well. By the time I got back to PNT to buy more they were all gone, and I've never seen them since. Unfortunately, the gold color washed out of them quickly so they didn't last too long.

Thanks again Nog.

Those are the ones buddy, and thanks for searching for me. The problem when they've been used for a while is the gold color washes out of them very quickly, (as you can see with the larger ones). If the needlefish hoochies are still new I wouldn't mind getting them off you. Set them aside, and when you get some more of the long narrow stainless dodger/flashers I like send me some pics. I wouldn't mind getting some good old stock Tom Mac or Cdn Wonder spoons either. So just send me some pics when you have some on hand, and I'll get another order off you. Just PM me again, and thanks Discus.

Back