Honda 1997 15 running on one cylinder

tubber

Boat is on the Island and I am not. It was fine for most of my first day (July 6th) then started vibrating and could no longer push the boat at hull speed, but can still troll fine. I cleaned the carb and the plugs and will replace the plugs next week. When I pull the wire off the top plug it keeps running. When I do the reverse it stalls. I believe the cylinder is getting fuel because the plug seemed clean and wet, plus I can smell fuel and I saw fuel flashing off on the water as a few droplets come out of the exhaust as it runs.
Anyone care to offer a list of possible solutions?
Fuel issue? I have a Racor filter and the main engine is running fine off of it, but the first day out I was running last year's (treated with Stabil) fuel and the main ran a little rough for 20 minutes or so and has been fine ever since. So, maybe I gummed something up. That's why I cleaned the carb.
Coil?
Other thoughts? I can google.

coil ignitor, wire, plug... chase the spark!

Start backward from the spark plug. Check spark, plug wire, coil output, rectifier output etc.

Swap one part at a time between cylinders and do the same test you described pulling the lead off until you find the offender.

I swapped the plugs and she was all good again. I think I'll use what's left of this year's fuel in my wife's car at the end of the summer, and leave the tanks empty (they're not built in). Thanks for your help. Glad I didn't start buying parts to take back to Ukee "just in case."

Back