Heat Tracing - Steering Cables?

Time

I have this idea that the "frozen" steering that some of us encounter with mechanical steering over the winter - myself included - is a result of temperatures and not just lack of use.

So I was wondering if anybody had ever tried mounting a heat tracing cable from the steering tube on the motor to the steering wheel, following roughly along the path of the cable.

The heating cable I was looking at today puts out 7 watts per foot, so an 18 foot cable would only consume 125 watts. Cable is approved for use on plastic pipe so I doubt if it would harm anything.

Thought I'd throw the idea out for the electricians on the board before I try it. Feel free to tell me if it's a dumb idea.

Thanks

I would think that as the heat makes metal expand, it would likely bind the cable up even worse. In my opinion, temperature is not the enemy, corrosion and the breakdown of lubricants are the culprits at work here.

I would think that as the heat makes metal expand, it would likely bind the cable up even worse. In my opinion, temperature is not the enemy, corrosion and the breakdown of lubricants are the culprits at work here.

You would be better off going out to the boat every 2 weeks and working the wheel back and forth a few times to prevent seizing. I start my outboards every 2 weeks to prevent corrosion on the cylinder walls....no biggy to do, just have to do it.

You would be better off going out to the boat every 2 weeks and working the wheel back and forth a few times to prevent seizing. I start my outboards every 2 weeks to prevent corrosion on the cylinder walls....no biggy to do, just have to do it.

I agree, I dont think the heat cable will do much more than raise your hydro bill. My advice.. go to hydraulic steering.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I agree, I dont think the heat cable will do much more than raise your hydro bill. My advice.. go to hydraulic steering.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Every cable I have replaced has been due to corrosion somewhere in the jacket so I dont think the heat trace will do anything.
Heat trace cable was designed to prevent water lines from freezing.It doesn't have the capability to thaw anything,or to keep things warm. At 7 watts per foot,it is only designed to keep the temperature above freezing,and at that it still needs to be encased in insulation.
Could be a good idea for around the engine though

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Every cable I have replaced has been due to corrosion somewhere in the jacket so I dont think the heat trace will do anything.
Heat trace cable was designed to prevent water lines from freezing.It doesn't have the capability to thaw anything,or to keep things warm. At 7 watts per foot,it is only designed to keep the temperature above freezing,and at that it still needs to be encased in insulation.
Could be a good idea for around the engine though

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Years ago, I started my boat once a month. I now start mine every week. I also turn everything on and run all my pumps.

Also agree, "corrosion and the breakdown of lubricants are the culprits at work here."

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Years ago, I started my boat once a month. I now start mine every week. I also turn everything on and run all my pumps.

Also agree, "corrosion and the breakdown of lubricants are the culprits at work here."

Agree with and thank you for the comments.
Not too worried about this winter while I am around, but I am thinking for winters when I am not here. Last winter I lucked out on a free house in Arizona for a couple of months and things were well stuck when I returned. SG freed it up (problem was in the tube on the motor, not the cable itself). Thought that a bit of heat might keep everything operating smoothly if I do another trip of that duration.

Back