Free seminar and Q&A on collapse of Strait of Georgia Fisheries: Feb. 11th 5-7pm

tincan

Free event that all fishermen and conservationists in the Vancouver area should attend. Details below. This is a great opportunity for all of us to learn about why the fishery in the Strait collapsed and why nothing has been done to restore it. Whether you think the issue is climate change, salmon farms, overfishing, hatcheries, habitat loss, predation or any combination of the above you can ask expert scientists whatever you want and get involved in this massive project to return the fisheries to previous levels. I hope to see lots of you there.

From Pacific Salmon Foundation facebook page:

Join us Tuesday, February 11th from 5-7pm at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre Hotel for a special presentation on the landmark Salish Sea Marine Survival Project. The largest-scale and most important research effort of its kind in the shared water of Washington State and British Columbia. The project promises to fundamentally change the ways we manage Pacific salmon and steelhead and stewardship of Puget Sound and the Georgia Basin. More details on attached poster. RSVP: staylor@psf.ca

Bio for Dr. Brian Riddell of PSF:
Riddell is an internationally recognized fisheries scientist who has extensive experience in fisheries management and environmental policy development.

Among numerous professional distinctions, Riddell serves as a member of the Royal Society of Canada’s Expert Panel on Ocean Climate Change and Marine Biodiversity. He is also an appointed Canadian Commissioner to the Pacific Salmon Commission, the body formed by the governments of Canada and the United States to implement the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

Prior to joining the Pacific Salmon Foundation in February 2009, Riddell worked for 30 years in various scientific research and management positions with the Government of Canada’s Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Riddell was the scientific lead in the creation of Canada’s Policy for Conservation of Wild Pacific Salmon, for which he received the Government of Canada’s Public Service Distinction Award in 2005. He also contributed to the development of the Pacific Salmon Treaty, the 1985 bi-lateral agreement between Canada and the United States governing management, research and enhancement of Pacific salmon.

As a scientist, Riddell is widely published with more than 100 publications in primary scientific literature and secondary literature utilized by the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans. His fields of research focus on salmon population biology and genetics, international fisheries management, and formulation of science-based policy for conservation and utilization of salmon. He is a sought-after speaker for national and international conferences and is frequently contacted by news media for comment on salmon and water management issues.

Riddell earned a Bachelor’s of Science in Biology from the University of Guelph in 1974. He completed his doctoral studies in salmon biology and genetics at McGill University in 1979.

Residents of Nanaimo, B.C., Brian and his wife Lorna have three grown children. Lorna is a secondary school teacher while putting up with Brian’s work and travel for 35 years.

Attachments

• Salish Sea Feb. 11th Invite.jpg
    Salish Sea Feb. 11th Invite.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 533
Thanks Tincan,

I work very near Wall Center so have sent my rsvp. I have also sent an e-mail to PSF to ask permission to record this presentation on digital video for non-profit purposes so hoefully I will get the green light. I have use of professional equipment but won't drag over the HD cameras so just in SD. I will do audio of presenter with wireless lapel mic, if they allow, so audio will be top notch.

How can you even compare #s from the 70s to now? Average # of Chinook retained each year? Back in the 70s how many were u allowed to retain? Now your allowed 2 per day with size restrictions and yearly limits. Average # of Wild Coho retained? Lol it's 0 now because we can only keep hatchery. It's certainly not because there's no Wild fish out there? How was the value of recreational fishing in the Salish Sea 750,000,000 in the 70s? Last year there was more Coho then we have seen in years.The Chinook fishery has been improving on average over the past 15 years. Still would be interested in attending and hearing why it collapsed in the earlier years. Does he have the answers why the Coho disappeared years ago? There's no mention in Dr. Ridell's bio that he has fished the area for 30 years?

Last edited by a moderator:
Duffer, these are all good questions to ask Dr. Riddell and the other experts who will be in attendance. That is why the event is taking place. To talk about these issues and what is being done to fix some of the issues we are facing. This is a good high-level presentation which I am looking forward to.

I would love to go to this Tincan I'm always interested in studies and the results. Unfortunately it's in Van. Hopefully it's a good turnout and valuable info. I'm just not into doom and gloom when last 5 yrs I and I'm sure others on here have been witnessing a improvement in our overall ecosystem. I know also there are local issues at a lot of distinct geographical areas including our own. Free info is always good.

Keep us posted Peahead. I (plus many I'm sure) would love to watch if you can record this.

Peahead, if you don't end up filming it here is a 20 minute vid of Brian Riddell speaking about the program a few months ago for those who can't attend.

[video]http://ohboy.ca/secretscience/index.php/dr-brian-riddell/

bump. Reminder that is event is tonight from 5-7pm. Look forward to seeing a few of you there.

I got clearance to shoot this on video so I will be there tonight and record it. Thanks to tincan for the assistance with the process.

Very enlightening speakers I learned a lot and heard some optimistic words-at the same time what science often shows us is how little we really know.

This project is certainly worth following even if you don't understand every little detail.

I got clearance to shoot this on video so I will be there tonight and record it. Thanks to tincan for the assistance with the process.

Would you be so kind to post the recording?

There will be a recording posted on the PSF website and facebook page in a few days according to their communications people. I will try to post it here as well once it's done. The turnout was very impressive. In fact, about 40-50 people ended up standing in the back of the room as they seats were all full. There were 5 or 6 presenters and perhaps 1 or 2 got a little technical for my liking but I really enjoyed the stuff from Brian Riddell (PSF), Dick Beamish (ex-DFO) and Mike Schmidt (LLTK) who kept it all quite high level and optimistic about this landmark project. Was nice to see such a large turnout and they are planning on hosting more of these 'info' sessions going forward as the project unfolds which is good.

Thanks tincan.
Looking forward to the video.
IMHO this is critical stuff and having it posted online is an important step in the right direction.
Sure glad you were able and willing to do this.
Guy's like you are pushing things forward for our sector.
We all owe you one.....
If your ever up this way I'll take you fishing, just PM me.

It blew me away! Yes a bit technical at times for my biology challenged 'peahead' brain but just amazing stuff. The one thing that really sank in is that this is way more complicated than I already knew. So many variables out there. I do like the idea of doing multiple research studies from 10 vessels all at the same time to keep some consistency. I also like the idea of PSF being the "project manager" ( NOT DFO) Very little on what was found in the Cohen inquiry but it was explained this study while directed at Chinook, Coho and Steelhead in Georgia Strait, the research will benefit all Salmonids

I never knew that a trip on a BC ferry from Nanaimo to Tswassen was collecting fisheries data ! Ok I don't mid paying a few extra cents on that run !! lol

My video is 1 hr and 17 min and is the full talk with all the scientists as well as Dr. Brian Riddell. It is presently been put to DVD. As long as PSF is ok with me handing out some copies I can make some DVD copies but its going to have to be limited somewhat. I can handle providing copies to evey member that has posted on this thread up to this point but after that I can only promise I will try to do some more for others. Again as long as PSF is good with that.

It blew me away! Yes a bit technical at times for my biology challenged 'peahead' brain but just amazing stuff. The one thing that really sank in is that this is way more complicated than I already knew. So many variables out there. I do like the idea of doing multiple research studies from 10 vessels all at the same time to keep some consistency. I also like the idea of PSF being the "project manager" ( NOT DFO) Very little on what was found in the Cohen inquiry but it was explained this study while directed at Chinook, Coho and Steelhead in Georgia Strait, the research will benefit all Salmonids

I never knew that a trip on a BC ferry from Nanaimo to Tswassen was collecting fisheries data ! Ok I don't mid paying a few extra cents on that run !! lol

My video is 1 hr and 17 min and is the full talk with all the scientists as well as Dr. Brian Riddell. It is presently been put to DVD. As long as PSF is ok with me handing out some copies I can make some DVD copies but its going to have to be limited somewhat. I can handle providing copies to evey member that has posted on this thread up to this point but after that I can only promise I will try to do some more for others. Again as long as PSF is good with that.

As GLG said thanks for the effort gents of getting out there and taping it. Look forward to seeing it when it comes out. Keep us updated thanks again.

Cliff

Roger all that! I wasn't able to come over to take this in, but sure interested in seeing any video clips once available. With some luck perhaps we can plan a session for the island.

Back