explorer 542 vs.602

Use the search engine(Top right corner)
Put 542 in the search and change search in to subject only

There has been about 5 different threads talking about the 542

I have a 542 explorer and it is great as a fishing/ski boat handles quite well with 3 adults. Would not want to spend a day fishing with any more on board.
I have 135 outboard and cruise at 40 quite easily.

I dont see a problem starting a new thread on the Campions, people have run them for awhile now and have new opinions on the two.
I have a 602 b with a 200 Etec on it, only had it at Prince Rupert once this year and worked great our there, very stable in the rough water, very easy to fish out of as well.

I dont think you can go wrong with either the 542 or the 602 - with the 602 inboard you get a heater as well, that would be a nice feature in the am.

Good luck on your search, hopefully others reply and help you out.

I bought a new 542 in the spring and have been very happy with it. It's the right size for 2 people to fish comfortably, handles the chop better than I expected and moves along right smartly with a 150 Yam on the back. Fit/finish, build quality and materials are excellent.

If you regularly go out with more than a couple of people, fish way off shore or plan to do any over nighters you might want a bigger boat but mine does exactly what I bought it for and I like it just fine.

Hey Guys,
I have a 2004 Campion 602 and really like it. I live in Kelowna but make a few trips each year to Vancouver Island. I have fished Sooke, Gold River, Bamfield and around the gulf Islands. Never had an issue with the boat and feel very comfrotable in it. We have been about 10 miles offshore from Nootka Island and caught a 40 pounder in it alst year! I was going to buy a 542 but came across the 602 in 2004. Only had 10 hours on it so could not pass up. Have the 4.3L MPI mercruiser and use about 4 GPH crusing at 30-32MPH. I have heard that the boat is really nice with the 4.3L and duo prop. Also have a 8hp high thrust Yamaha plumbed into the main tank. Will push it along at 5mph easy so besides fishing is good as a main backup plus charges the battery.
Main difference between the 542 and the 602 is cuddy cabin size. You can actually stretch out and sit up in the 602 cabin whereas the 542 is really just storage. I would suggest the 542 is more of a day fisher and I can overnight and do in my 602.

My cousin in Port McNeil has the new style 542 with 150HP Optimax and I got to fish in it for a couple of days. Must say the cockpit is excellent for fishing and with the 150hp it did 50+ easy. Very nice boat.

I would actually really like to upgrade to the 682 hardtop some day. would like to have a little galley to do more camping style trips.

All in all great boat. am just preparing for my next trip to Gold River in a few weeks.
Would be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers!

Dave

NewBoat2-1.jpg

I have a 2000-- 542 Campion with a 115 suzuki 2-stroke. Like Sir Reel said the cuddy's not that big. I find there's plenty of room for fishing with 3 people. Handles the rough water better than I expected it would. The seats are nice and high so your leg's don't get all cramped up. I've only had mine for about 8 month's but so far I'm quite happy with the package. Kicker mounts on transom so no bracket to deal with. With the lighter wieght of the 2-stroke the 115 h.p. got's some get up and go when you want it. Picked mine up outside of Seattle and was happy with the deal I got. One other thing that I like is the high freeboard, I've been in some bigger boats with a lot less freeboard

... Are fishermen all liars?
Or do only liars fish?

I have a 2000-- 542 Campion with a 115 suzuki 2-stroke. Like Sir Reel said the cuddy's not that big. I find there's plenty of room for fishing with 3 people. Handles the rough water better than I expected it would. The seats are nice and high so your leg's don't get all cramped up. I've only had mine for about 8 month's but so far I'm quite happy with the package. Kicker mounts on transom so no bracket to deal with. With the lighter wieght of the 2-stroke the 115 h.p. got's some get up and go when you want it. Picked mine up outside of Seattle and was happy with the deal I got. One other thing that I like is the high freeboard, I've been in some bigger boats with a lot less freeboard

Or do only liars fish?

Sorry for the double post, my computer is a P.O.S. -- Time for a knew one!!!

Or do only liars fish?

Thanks for the feedback. I think we have decided that we would like the 602. We just missed out on a sweet deal in Nanaimo....just waiting to see if their financing goes through..I hope it fails. Anyone know of a 602 for sale or a striper around 20-22 ft. Would like a walk around , Out board 4 stroke as we as a four stroke kicker. Not asking for to much !!! Just keep missing everyone thats for sale.. Please keep you ears open for one ... I know the fishings hot right now and my heart pounds just seeing a boat go by on the road. LOL ! Just a fishing girl !!!
Islandertra

Back