catching shrimp from docks?

islandangler

Recently started saltwater fishing and im wondering if its possible to catch shrimp off docks around victoria? i remember years back seeing people catch squid and shrimp up island wondering how its done if possible,thanks.

Not sure on that one I suspect depth will be your issue. I think we have a very underrated fishery in crayfish though, easy to catch as they're basically everywhere. $16 worth of material from HD a couple bulk hotdogs and you can have a lot of good meals.

I've had great luck shrimping around Sidney off the James Island pier and Tulista boat ramp in late fall to Christmas as the shrimp get shallow to spawn. Two effective methods:
1) Butterfly net and headlamp at night to see them attached to the pilings. Scoop them with the net.
2) Get an old bike tire and take the spokes out. Sew in a burlap sack and use some wire to make a Bait holder (or use a readily available crab trap Bait holder). Attach 50' rope to it (Make sure the when you raise it it stays flat). Drop to bottom with a punctured oyster or sardine can attached for about 20 minutes, then pull up. Repeat.
Good luck!

Cattle point at night. They come in shallow so you don't need a lot of rope on your shrimp net. You can see them come onto your trap in just a few feet of water. Most of the rocky shores around Gordon Head are good.

Burrard Inlet; the offshore tie up island for ships has vertical sides and the Coonstripe (pale green) shrimp would feed there at night.
less than 70' of water, more like 50-55'.
regular sport prawn traps with small mesh on the bottom overnight or better still a trap (shape of a dust pan with mesh at the back) and harness pulled up the vertical sides.

I've had great luck shrimping around Sidney off the James Island pier and Tulista boat ramp in late fall to Christmas as the shrimp get shallow to spawn. Two effective methods:
1) Butterfly net and headlamp at night to see them attached to the pilings. Scoop them with the net.
2) Get an old bike tire and take the spokes out. Sew in a burlap sack and use some wire to make a Bait holder (or use a readily available crab trap Bait holder). Attach 50' rope to it (Make sure the when you raise it it stays flat). Drop to bottom with a punctured oyster or sardine can attached for about 20 minutes, then pull up. Repeat.
Good luck!
When I lived in Victoria years ago we used the #2 method off of the James Island Pier and would get ice cream buckets full of shrimp.
The old bike tire rim worked so well..........

Back