building fish smoker

casper5280

Crew Member
I would like to know if anyone has build a smoker.I'm looking to build something that will smoke 10 or more large springs at once.I was thinking of using oven racks to put the filets on.Maybe build it out of concrete blocks.For heat I was thinking of a hot plate or small gas bar-b-que.What kind of heat range should a person be smoking at?Any plans,tips or ideas would be of great help.

I have seen ones that were made from old fridges..make sure that they don't contain any plastic inside (like newer ones)
Do you want a cold or hot smoker?
For a hot smoker, I don't think the interior should be higher than 125 deg F. but keep in mind that if you are smoking that many at a time, rotate so the bottoms don't cook or dry out.
Oven racks work great as they are don't contain plastics.
I was thinking about building one myself, but I have a huge problem with bears and racoons so I use the North Country unit and can smoke two Springs or Chums at a time.
Hope this helps. There's lots of stuff on the net and I believe Cabellas has parts to either build or convert old fridges..paul

boc

I have seen ones that were made from old fridges..make sure that they don't contain any plastic inside (like newer ones)
Do you want a cold or hot smoker?
For a hot smoker, I don't think the interior should be higher than 125 deg F. but keep in mind that if you are smoking that many at a time, rotate so the bottoms don't cook or dry out.
Oven racks work great as they are don't contain plastics.
I was thinking about building one myself, but I have a huge problem with bears and racoons so I use the North Country unit and can smoke two Springs or Chums at a time.
Hope this helps. There's lots of stuff on the net and I believe Cabellas has parts to either build or convert old fridges..paul

boc

Thanks Blue.I smoke 20-30 large springs at one go.I figure if I'm going to do it,I may as well do it all at once.I have friends that come from Alberta every year and we fish for 2 or 3 weeks and they leave there catch with me when they leave.I then smoke it in the fall and can and vacuum pack it,then ship it to them.I'm using 4-Little Chiefs Smokers,this takes days and many long hours.The hours really add up when you throw in the canning.If I could cut my smoking time by a 1/2-1/3 the time.The canning and vacuum would be easy.
When I'm doing this I just hate it,but they are great people and treat my family and I like royality.It's pretty much a payed holiday.Like I say they are great people.

Thanks Blue.I smoke 20-30 large springs at one go.I figure if I'm going to do it,I may as well do it all at once.I have friends that come from Alberta every year and we fish for 2 or 3 weeks and they leave there catch with me when they leave.I then smoke it in the fall and can and vacuum pack it,then ship it to them.I'm using 4-Little Chiefs Smokers,this takes days and many long hours.The hours really add up when you throw in the canning.If I could cut my smoking time by a 1/2-1/3 the time.The canning and vacuum would be easy.
When I'm doing this I just hate it,but they are great people and treat my family and I like royality.It's pretty much a payed holiday.Like I say they are great people.

A good fishing bud has a cold smoker that resembles an oversized outhouse..measure 8 feet x 8 feet x 16feet high...builds a fire down hill and uses four cedar planks 6 x 10 by 12 feet nailed together to form a tube for the smoke to get to the smoker. A series of 2 x 2's inside to hang the fish.. smokes for 5 days and can do about 50 or so spings at a time...oh and by the way, has a series of barb wire fences surrounding the house to keep the bears aware...been used by the family since the 40's..

boc

A good fishing bud has a cold smoker that resembles an oversized outhouse..measure 8 feet x 8 feet x 16feet high...builds a fire down hill and uses four cedar planks 6 x 10 by 12 feet nailed together to form a tube for the smoke to get to the smoker. A series of 2 x 2's inside to hang the fish.. smokes for 5 days and can do about 50 or so spings at a time...oh and by the way, has a series of barb wire fences surrounding the house to keep the bears aware...been used by the family since the 40's..

boc

Where about's are you Blue.Sounds like you are in the centre of "Bear County"?

Where about's are you Blue.Sounds like you are in the centre of "Bear County"?

I'm half way between Campbell River and Courtenay on the Island. Miracle Beach area...My friend is in Port Renfrew. More bear problem in Port Reny that here, but we do get them around if they get the smell of fish. Racoons on the other hand can be real pests. My dog tangled with one four years ago and is very cautious when she sees one now.
My smoker now sits on my deck where she sleeps..

boc

I'm half way between Campbell River and Courtenay on the Island. Miracle Beach area...My friend is in Port Renfrew. More bear problem in Port Reny that here, but we do get them around if they get the smell of fish. Racoons on the other hand can be real pests. My dog tangled with one four years ago and is very cautious when she sees one now.
My smoker now sits on my deck where she sleeps..

boc

I built one 4 foot by 4 foot and 8 foot tall. It sits on a concrete floor and the base is comprised of three rows of cinder block, before the walls start.. It's propane driven and has the choice of running an internal burner for hot smoked, or an outside burner with a draft system that lets you cold smoke. Can do anything from a few fish up to several hundred pounds of fish or remove the racks and hang anything from chickens, turkeys, whole sheep, whole hog, several hams, half a beef or elk and moose. Virtually anything you can think of. I've tried just about everything. It has multi-layered walls and excellent insulation so does a great job. It runs all year long because all my neighbors consider it "public property". Oh Well!!

Skip

I built one 4 foot by 4 foot and 8 foot tall. It sits on a concrete floor and the base is comprised of three rows of cinder block, before the walls start.. It's propane driven and has the choice of running an internal burner for hot smoked, or an outside burner with a draft system that lets you cold smoke. Can do anything from a few fish up to several hundred pounds of fish or remove the racks and hang anything from chickens, turkeys, whole sheep, whole hog, several hams, half a beef or elk and moose. Virtually anything you can think of. I've tried just about everything. It has multi-layered walls and excellent insulation so does a great job. It runs all year long because all my neighbors consider it "public property". Oh Well!!

Skip

Thanks Pescadero,thats sounds exactly what I'm looking for.Did you make the top part out of wood?Also what temp do you cook at?
Blue Renfrew,Swiftsure and Sooke is where I do must of my fishing.And yes there is a lot of bears in Renfrew.They have the bear traps at the marina quite often when I'm there.

Thanks Pescadero,thats sounds exactly what I'm looking for.Did you make the top part out of wood?Also what temp do you cook at?
Blue Renfrew,Swiftsure and Sooke is where I do must of my fishing.And yes there is a lot of bears in Renfrew.They have the bear traps at the marina quite often when I'm there.

quote:

======================

I pretty much agree with "blueorca" on temp. For Salmon I like a modest temp. Say 125 to 135 degrees. It takes longer but the result seems to be better. Too hot and you seal the flesh so nothing penetrates. I use an old Cast Iron Dutch Oven for the chips and chunks. Sometimes I am not trying to actually cure the food. I just try to impart the smoky flavor. Say on a Chicken or some Pork, then I actually cook it the normal way(BBQ, bake, fry or whatever) In those cases I only run one pan of chips against it and take it off. It hardly gets warm but has a great taste. Every type of fish and game is different and you just need to experiment.

I will offer one suggestion though. I put hanging thermometers on every rack. No matter how you try or what you do, the different levels will reach different temps. I keep moving the faster curing pieces to the cooler racks and the thicker, slower pieces to the hotter racks. It's high maintenance but it improves the overall result.

A Little Chief may be the same temp all over the thing, but on larger smokers like mine and the larger room sized ones, it is for sure that there will be big differences in temp, from area to area and level to level. And, you will be happier if you monitor for that and maintain as necessary to achieve the result you are looking for.

Hope that helps a little.

Good Luck,

Skip (Pescadero)

quote:

======================

I pretty much agree with "blueorca" on temp. For Salmon I like a modest temp. Say 125 to 135 degrees. It takes longer but the result seems to be better. Too hot and you seal the flesh so nothing penetrates. I use an old Cast Iron Dutch Oven for the chips and chunks. Sometimes I am not trying to actually cure the food. I just try to impart the smoky flavor. Say on a Chicken or some Pork, then I actually cook it the normal way(BBQ, bake, fry or whatever) In those cases I only run one pan of chips against it and take it off. It hardly gets warm but has a great taste. Every type of fish and game is different and you just need to experiment.

I will offer one suggestion though. I put hanging thermometers on every rack. No matter how you try or what you do, the different levels will reach different temps. I keep moving the faster curing pieces to the cooler racks and the thicker, slower pieces to the hotter racks. It's high maintenance but it improves the overall result.

A Little Chief may be the same temp all over the thing, but on larger smokers like mine and the larger room sized ones, it is for sure that there will be big differences in temp, from area to area and level to level. And, you will be happier if you monitor for that and maintain as necessary to achieve the result you are looking for.

Hope that helps a little.

Good Luck,

Skip (Pescadero)

Casper:

I pounded out your reply and forgot to answer part of your question.

The upper 8 feet(above the cinder block) is 2X4 framed. It has non combustable insulation in the walls and has interior walls of non combustable paneling. The outside has home siding made of concrete. It is weather proof and sturdy and insulates like crazy, helping to keep the heat in. I put breather holes in the uppersections with little panels over the holes on the outside. I can rotate the little panels and expose as much or as many of the holes as I need to regulate temp. I actually use an old propand Crab Cooker on avout a 12-15 inch stand. You know the type. They have legs about the size of re-bar and a burner where you would normally put your pot of crab water. I just use that and plop down my Dutch Oven. I have gradually learned how high to turn the burner, how many holes to open up and all that stuff. General weather, humidity and temp all effect what you have to do.

It's like lots of other cooking. Even if you mess it up, it still tastes good and you learn quick.

So just go have fun with it.

Skip

Casper:

I pounded out your reply and forgot to answer part of your question.

The upper 8 feet(above the cinder block) is 2X4 framed. It has non combustable insulation in the walls and has interior walls of non combustable paneling. The outside has home siding made of concrete. It is weather proof and sturdy and insulates like crazy, helping to keep the heat in. I put breather holes in the uppersections with little panels over the holes on the outside. I can rotate the little panels and expose as much or as many of the holes as I need to regulate temp. I actually use an old propand Crab Cooker on avout a 12-15 inch stand. You know the type. They have legs about the size of re-bar and a burner where you would normally put your pot of crab water. I just use that and plop down my Dutch Oven. I have gradually learned how high to turn the burner, how many holes to open up and all that stuff. General weather, humidity and temp all effect what you have to do.

It's like lots of other cooking. Even if you mess it up, it still tastes good and you learn quick.

So just go have fun with it.

Skip

Back