Abu Garcia Cardinal 500*-for salmon fishing???

W

Weatherby

Hey all...glad I found these forums.

Im wondering if any has experince with the abu garcia cardinal 500(spinning reel)?I just asked my local tackle shop to order one in for me and now Im second guessing my decission.It says the reel is made for 10lb line.I will be using 12-20 lb test for the salmon fishing I want to do.Anyone know if the reel would handle the 20 lb line when it calls for 10lb?.

im sure it will. i have a little trouth reel spooled with 30 lb test on a 5' rod for jigging and pinks :p

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

It might be a little small a salmon can strip a 100 meters in seconds.But it is a great challenge good luck.

thanks the runt

The problem with running heavier line on a spinning reel is that it fills up the spool quickly and, as you cast line out, it empties the spool more quickly too. This limits the length of your casts, which can limit your fishing.
Either buy a larger reel with a bigger spool or try one of the braided lines. Then you can use 20 or 30 lb test and it will be the same diameter as 8 or 10 lb test mono.
If distance casting isn't a concern and you don't dig braided lines then go with what you've indicated I guess, but there's a reason reels are rated for certain size lines.
Think about it.

Take care.

Back