2017 Pender Bluffs

When you put it that way, it does sound a little odd. I'm trying hard not to be one of those people who don't care or are blissfully ignorant of the rules. The fish in question meets the criteria with regards to oval spots on the tail, scales that fall off and the blood/slime/mess, and fuss... however, somewhere if I'm not mistaken, on the Fisheries website, it states that Pinks don't have teeth on their tongues and in my uneducated opinion this one did, so I didn't keep it. It looked as though it was an escapee from a commercial net, had lots of lice and maybe had a few rounds with fluffy. I did take a couple of pictures, but won't be able to post them until I get home. Based on my understanding, if it has teeth on it's tongue, it ain't a Pink. Is this true? Maybe I need to go back a trudge through their website. Thanks for your input.

You can really tell the difference between a spring and a pink once you catch both. A pink has some kinda blunt teeth in it (and I think a couple on tongue) while the springs have a bunch of razor sharp teeth throughout mouth.

I had the same problem as well at first!

This year has been bruuuuutal. I've lost 4 full sets of gear because people decide to just turn and cut right behind the boat

I've never once had this happen. If it's happened to you 4 times this year, maybe you might consider the possibility that it's you that is doing something wrong... Just saying...

I've never once had this happen. If it's happened to you 4 times this year, maybe you might consider the possibility that it's you that is doing something wrong... Just saying...
well giving boats lots of room and going in line with everyone else then someone decides to turn or just not paying attention for long periods of time and then turn and cut right behind the boat, what can I do? lol Have you fished heavy spots like beechey head before? Lots of people have experiences with people doing this in busy spots and losing gear

You think people can tell if you have a fish on if you stay under power and remain on tack? Have the manners to at least turn out of the pack to land your fiah
Then at least us mere mortals can tell you have one on.

Had a lousy morning losing a few large fish but made up for it this evening. I have no idea why anyone would want to fish in the gong show. I was 2 miles off the horde of boats and we limited out.

For starters a lot of people on Pender drink a lot, they don't care. I notice they keep undersized spring and don't pinch barbs. There is no fear as DFO never comes here, not saying everyone is guilty but more than you would think.
Wonder why they never come by.Seen them pretty regularly off North Mayne Saturna....

Up early and already a dozen boats, caught a half dozen pinks right away . Getting away from that area, chovies too expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_2820.JPG
    IMG_2820.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 30
You can really tell the difference between a spring and a pink once you catch both. A pink has some kinda blunt teeth in it (and I think a couple on tongue) while the springs have a bunch of razor sharp teeth throughout mouth.

I had the same problem as well at first!

Thanks. We caught a large male pink yesterday morning, so it was easy to identify. It did have some teeth on its tongue, but didn't seem to be as pronounced as the female. Working on catching some springs. Been so long, I forgot what one over 62 cm looks like.

You think people can tell if you have a fish on if you stay under power and remain on tack? Have the manners to at least turn out of the pack to land your fiah
Then at least us mere mortals can tell you have one on.
Wow seriously? I had the fish on for two minutes.... you can't tell when someone has a fish on you are a moron then! I do turn out but not always practical depending on what the fish is doing....

Very slow at Bluffs today, I know a 19 was caught so odd one around . Got a nice hatchery coho about 7lbs at 150 feet down multiple pinks with one large male about 8 lbs.

The wife and I went out for the evening "bite" that never showed. Got a pink not long after we arrived, and then eventually landed a "Monster"..... It popped the pin at 150ft, and when I set into it, I could barely move it. Apart from the odd little headshake, it didn't run either. So the wife turned the boat, and I hauled on the rod......and finally we dragged the poor little Ho with the treble fouled in it's gill plate onboard. What a fighter! I've never had a fish as hard to bring in, even though I've had way bigger hooked similarly (I run stingers, and fish often thrash the treble around into their sides, etc..) As he wasn't going to survive after that, I was glad to find that he was clipped. It would've been a shame to have him die for nothing.

I finally got my turn yesterday after bombing out the day before when quite a few fish were caught. Late afternoon,early evening a 22#marbled and a 6# hatch coho, lost a small keeper or decent coho behind the boat. Seeing as it was a solo effort the landing of the big boy was interesting. Four arms would have been helpful... Got a ripple of applause from a passing boat when I finally got it in the net:p. Skinny G's at 145-180 , outside the pack.
Pender-Spring_and_Coho-Sept_2017.jpg
[/IMG]
Pender-Spring_and_Coho-Sept_2017.jpg

Back