2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by fishin_magician, Jan 1, 2017.

1. aheny

aheny Active Member

It's not actually rhetorical. You had a rare opportunity to make a real difference, and hopefully you didn't squander it, or if you did you learned from your mistake and will take action next time

2. Kapt. Kirk

Kapt. Kirk New Member

Nice Trophy!! He's obviously been approached before based on the lighting quick response.
    Hey buddy this isn't a rare opportunity, this boat is out there all the time doing this. Theres multiple posts about it on this thread. I have video and multiple pictures and just because I didn't call the hotline to get a message machine doesn't mean I won't take action. My post was to shame the boat in question not to get in an online squabble regarding the efficiency of the DFO.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    northvancb likes this.
  3. aheny

aheny Active Member

I've actually never had the phone ring more than 4 times, always get a dfo officer asking competent questions, and I'm often out there 7 days a week.

BCRingo likes this.
  4. Dorman Point

Dorman Point Member

DFO has had a fairly active presence in and around Thunderbird this week. Saw them alongside several boats, both moored in the marina and out front. Based on the boats I saw them checking, it appeared to me they were taking a focussed approach.

northvancb and Dogbreath like this.
  5. Kapt. Kirk

Kapt. Kirk New Member

Awesome!!

northvancb likes this.
  6. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

this the boat?

Attached Files:

cdaddy likes this.
  7. Kapt. Kirk

Kapt. Kirk New Member

Yes sir thats it.

8. northvancb

northvancb Member

Either way thank you for sharing the picture Kapt.K - if this brings them one step closer to getting caught all the better. Ridiculous people have the audacity to completely disregard the laws protecting our great fishery on here on the West Coast.

swimmingwiththefishes and cdaddy like this.
  9. BCRingo

BCRingo Active Member

I'd just call the hotline, report the incident and move on. Criminal lawyers r too expensive if u get what I mean.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    OutdoorsRep likes this.
  10. cohochinook

cohochinook Well-Known Member

Call Observe, Record, Report Line at 1-800-465-4336. PM me if you don't get a response and I'll put you in touch with Herb Redekopp who is the area chief for Conservation and Protection for Lower Fraser Area of DFO. He has personally said he wants to know about violations that don't get an adequate response.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Pursuit and OutdoorsRep like this.
  11. fishin_magician

fishin_magician Well-Known Member

I know that boat. I have seen that boat in False Creek all the time.

The individuals on that boat, I would hazard a guess with a high degree of probability of accuracy, do not have fishing licenses.

12. LoveToFish

LoveToFish New Member

Anyone fishing the bell or mouth of the cap today? How is the water?

13. northvancb

northvancb Member

We've fished from Point A to pink apartments - water is flat and calm, one hit didn't stick

14. aussie

aussie Member

Out at sandheads around the turn of the tide @ 60 ft
    Nice keeper
    Anchovie and green flasher

Attached Files:

fishin solo and Dogbreath like this.
  15. noluck

noluck Active Member

was out at hole in the wall with alot of other boats, nothing and no nets. one of chovy's boats was here as well

16. Matthias

Matthias Member

Out at Cowan first light - noon. Got
    Our first before second rod was down, was an under but a football. Second one, 15lb red spring on the next pass. Pinks and unders for rest of the day

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    CBsqrd likes this.
  17. Gator

Gator New Member

Well ran the shorelines and all the normal spots in HS looking for those pinks. Nada on the fish finder and nothing rising. And now I see they have announced a 1 fish limit for Squamish. This was supposed to be the year. Anyone out there heard the projections for this year? Any one even caught one here in the Sound? Just doesn't seem right

18. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

That a pink lol come on man

Matthias, slaydown and Mark Tilschner like this.
  19. cohochinook

cohochinook Well-Known Member

We had several high water events when the last cycle of pinks spawned in the Squamish. Outstream migration counts were about 25% of what they were in for the 2013 and 2011 cycle. Don't expect this year to be a very good year for pinks. A planned commercial seine fishery has been cancelled because of low returns.

eriks and capt hook like this.
  20. Gator

Gator New Member

Thanks for the input. Looking back I do recall it being harder to find them. That is unfortunate as I have see HS improve vastly over the years. The amount of bait showing and it has been a banner year for Chinook. Nice to see how healthier it has become.