20' silver line Nantucket

marbles67

Hi again
I'm tossing around the idea of the silver line I found for decent price. It needs motor work.the boat was built in 1979 ,and I can't find any reverence to durability. I believe it would be better then the 16' double eagle I'm currently considering. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks everyone

Unless the boat was stored under cover it will likely have some water damage from weather, 35 years is 35 years regardless of how/where it was used. Have a look in the hull and see what you can see. Tap on the deck in numerous places, does it sound bright or dull? Ask if you can remove a bolt or screw from the transom and probe with a piece of wire to see if there is rot. Lots of poking and prodding around the transom, looking for flexiness where there should be rigidity - definitely try to lift the engine by hand with it in the locked down position - does that flex the fibreglass? Is there dimpling of the FG around the engine mount bolts? Look in the bilge for signs of rot, and any other below-deck areas you can access.

If there's hull damage and meaningful engine work as well, this is a project boat and should be free or almost free.

Back